Bill Gates sucks

Post by Matt/Christy Barnso » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> : If it were not for the competition Mr. Gates brought to this industry we
> : would not be enjoying this today, whichever any OPS you choose. Therefore
> : he does not suck.
> Excuse me? Just what did Gates offer Linux or the Unix community ever? I
> think he might have even used the Xwindows idea to create MS Win, but I am
> not sure as I am somewhat ignorant to the fact. All I know is that
> everything that guy ever did was begged borrowed or stolen. Remember his
> double space fiasco?

        Interesting point:  Did you know that the Windows NT development
team was nearly the same development team that developed Digital
Equipment Corporation's OpenVMS 32-bit operating system?  Underneath the
hood, from what I understand, it's very nearly identical...
                                        Matt Barnson

btw:    Had to trim down the spamming a bit, there.  That was horrendous!

Bill Gates sucks

Post by Christopher W. Curt » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>> : If it were not for the competition Mr. Gates brought to this industry we
>> : would not be enjoying this today, whichever any OPS you choose. Therefore
>> : he does not suck.
>> Excuse me? Just what did Gates offer Linux or the Unix community ever? I
>> think he might have even used the Xwindows idea to create MS Win, but I am
>> not sure as I am somewhat ignorant to the fact. All I know is that
>> everything that guy ever did was begged borrowed or stolen. Remember his
>> double space fiasco?
>    Interesting point:  Did you know that the Windows NT development
>team was nearly the same development team that developed Digital
>Equipment Corporation's OpenVMS 32-bit operating system?  Underneath the
>hood, from what I understand, it's very nearly identical...

Why, yes, actually.  I thought this was a well known fact.  If you've
ever used NT, you'll see things similar to [DISK$USER]:0000.0000 ...
hauntingly reminds me of writing assembly language programs on the VAX.

In fact, so does OS/2's "detach" command  <shudder>
--
Christopher Curtis, Sun SysAdmin - http://www.ee.fit.edu/users/ccurtis
Florida Institute of Technology  - telnet bofh.engr.wisc.edu 666

1. Bill Gates sucks

DECnet has been around roughly as long as the proto-Internet, and
at one time was the protocol for the largest fully connected general-
purpose network in existence up till then. As far as I know, that
network still uses DECnet (which, however, has migrated to OSI
protocols) and still contains of the order of 10,000 nodes. IMO,
DECnet was passed by for general use because of its proprietary nature
(where have you heard that before?).

Last time I checked, Netware (or more properly IPX/SPX) was the
protocol used by more nodes than any other, including TCP/IP.

SNA is nowhere. :-) That is, if by "nowhere" you mean happily in use
by thousands of aging legacy systems.

It is in fact amazing that TCP/IP still works; it's a tribute to its
developers. All of the protocols mentioned above except SNA (of
course :-), plus dozens of others, owe a considerable intellectual
debt to TCP/IP.

Lee Webber (former DECnet developer)

2. Will FreeBSD install on my computer?

3. FTP Server behind firewall