help with Solaris 8 secure RPC and NIS+ authentication

help with Solaris 8 secure RPC and NIS+ authentication

Post by <pete_smith.. » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 06:05:23

When issuing the following command as root:

passwd -r nisplus -n 7 -x 90 -w 7 fred

I am prompted thus:

 Enter root's password:

This would seem to imply that the secure RPC password and root's login
password are out of step but I have taken steps to ensure that this is not
the case ie :

Run the passwd command to change root's password
chkey -fp
keylogin -r

The command then works OK regardless of what we enter at this password
prompt (ie it will accept utter rubbish in place of a valid root password).

We are running Solaris 8 with the recommended patch cluster.  Prior to
installation of the recommended patch cluster this behaviour was not seen.
Our /etc/nsswitch.conf file contains :

passwd:     files nisplus
group:      files nisplus
hosts:      files nisplus dns
services:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
bootparams: files
publickey:  nisplus
. etc .

Post by Neil W Ricker » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 06:57:05

>When issuing the following command as root:
>passwd -r nisplus -n 7 -x 90 -w 7 fred
>I am prompted thus:
> Enter root's password:

At that point I hit the enter key (no password).  Since the root
password should not be needed for this action, I don't give it.

It is probably a pam bug introduced in a recent patch.

1. Help required with Solaris 8 secure RPC and NIS+ authentication

[...]

2. Solaris 2.3 PPP

3. NIS+ server/NIS client & secure rpc (keyserv) Problem

4. SSA Raid1 questions

5. Howto setup secure rpc without using nis/nis+

6. kernel compile

7. rpc.nispasswdd[394]: rpc.nispasswd Error in accessing NIS+ cold start file... is NIS+ installed?.

8. SyJet

9. Secure Rpc - DES Authentication.

10. Secure NFS under Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 without NIS/NIS+ ?

11. How to change Secure-RPC password in NIS+

12. NIS+ Secure RPC Password woes

13. NIS+ Secure RPC Password