Strange behaviour of rsh on AIX 4.1.3

Post by Boris A.Litvi » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

My .rhosts file is like this
servername mylogin
(the single line where servername is name of computer,used as NIS and
NFS server for local net)
Now rsh/rlogin does NOT requires password when I login /execute command
remotely from ANYWHERE.No metter am I logging from local net or not
I enter without password.
Any idea why?
P.S. I tried to put '+' as first letter,no change in behaviour..

Post by Don Nicho » Sat, 24 May 1997 04:00:00

>My .rhosts file is like this
>servername mylogin
>(the single line where servername is name of computer,used as NIS and
>NFS server for local net)
>Now rsh/rlogin does NOT requires password when I login /execute command
>remotely from ANYWHERE.No metter am I logging from local net or not
>I enter without password.
>Any idea why?

        What is in /etc/rhosts?

Quote:>P.S. I tried to put '+' as first letter,no change in behaviour..

        Implying that it is not your .rhosts file, but rather the
/etc/shosts which is doing this for/to you.

        What happens if you remove your .rhosts file entirely?

        I *hope* that this is not the machine from whic you are posting,
since that is advertising to the world that anyone can get in as you.

        Good Luck,
                DoN.
--

Disclaimer: No statements herein are to be considered as necessarily
representing the opinions of the Department of the Army or Night Vision Labs.

1. Strange rsh behaviour

Well, I have a lotta Suns here, and one Linux. It works fine more or less.

Anthow, rsh(1) doesn't work from the machine to a Sun, unless you telnet the sun
, then rsh to linux and then rsh to the sun works fine. I think it is somewhere
around utmp ?

So anyhow has a clue?

--
Ury Segal          | The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the

Phone: 08-263936   | They are mine, LO MIN HAHEFKER, as Bialik once said.

2. strange errors ... ar_rput_dlpi: DL_??? (7) failed, ...

3. strange rsh behavior

4. Server Upgrade question

5. Teles ISDN IP Router for Solaris 2.4 x86

6. strange rsh behaviour

7. sound on your DELL GX1?

8. strange problems with rsh between Solaris and AIX

9. dbx in AIX : strange behaviour

10. AIX 3.2.3 on RS/6000-560 - strange scheduler behavior

11. Strange behaviour of statfs (AIX 2.2.1)?

12. dbx in AIX - - - strange behaviour