SNMP and security

Post by Michael Brouilla » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi

What experiences do you have concerning SNMP, workstations and security?

My main concern is about the access and the authentication to the SNMP-client
running on the workstation. As far as I understand the client, all you need
to ask the client is the right community. This is transmitted unencrypted :-(

Is this as critical for the security of the system, as I think, or not.

        Michael

---
   The thoughts are free, mine too.

SNMP and security

Post by Edwin Krem » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

   | What experiences do you have concerning SNMP, workstations and security?

Phrack magazine issue 50 has an article about this. See:

        http://www.fc.net/phrack.html

I've always been told that SNMP is an acronym for "Security? Not My Problem!".

                regards,
                                                --[ Edwin ]--
--

Dept. of Computer Science,  Utrecht University, The Netherlands   [WHOIS: ehk3]