HELP: TIS TOOLKIT and TELNET PROXY USING HIGH PORTS

HELP: TIS TOOLKIT and TELNET PROXY USING HIGH PORTS

Post by tiac... » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 09:45:00

I have successfully install the TIS TOOLKIT, on a SUN SPARC330 running 4.1.3.

I have everything working, but users cannot telnet via the PROXY to non-standard telnet ports.
(non port 23).   I contacted TIS and they said it is client dependent and I was on
my own.  Well, I figured some much, you get what you don't pay for

I look at some sessions and I can see the client sending out packets, to the Server, but
the Server never sends the telnet screen data back.   ( I can perform normal
telnet (no proxy) from this machine to the same external non telnet port as above
test.)

Anyway, has anyone else had better luck at getting the TIS Telnet Proxy working
to non standard telnet ports ie: "c xxx.yz.com  4000"  ?

I like the proxy, but my end users don't like the non working telnet to port 1000
to get the latest weather.  ( I wish I had this idle time)

Also the TIS tech, said they put the client into a "rawmode" and some client
cannot handle this?  What is rawmode?

Any info on your successes would be great!!!!
Bill Sanderson

Post by Richard De » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 00:12:47

: I have successfully install the TIS TOOLKIT, on a SUN SPARC330 running 4.1.3.

: I have everything working, but users cannot telnet via the PROXY to non-standard telnet ports.
: (non port 23).   I contacted TIS and they said it is client dependent and I was on
: my own.  Well, I figured some much, you get what you don't pay for

: I look at some sessions and I can see the client sending out packets, to the Server, but
: the Server never sends the telnet screen data back.   ( I can perform normal
: telnet (no proxy) from this machine to the same external non telnet port as above
: test.)

.
.
.

: Any info on your successes would be great!!!!
: Bill Sanderson

Bill,  we have telnet running on 923 with the telnet proxy on 23.  Just make
sure your /etc/services file is set up correctly.  Also, as you found out,
you have to have a "smart" client that lets you change the port #.

enjoy,

richard

1. TIS firewall toolkit application proxies

I think I know the answer to this.  I just want to confirm it before I make the
connection.  Are the true application proxies (telnet, ftp, http, etc.) included
with the TIS firewall toolkit truely retransmitting the connection?  I.e., does
the connection outside the firewall appear to be with the firewall to the
remote host?  I believe that's what's happening, but need confirmation.  I
know that the news proxy doesn't do this, but don't plan to use it (Anyone
know where a news proxy, possible similar to TIS's smap/smapd, might be
located?).

The reason I ask is that we have a CIPR class C address from our network
provider that is the net outside the firewall.  Several years ago, we acquired
2 class C addresses for our private LAN.  If the proxies are not regerenating the
traffic, I'll be in hell with the provider.  I can get CIPR class Cs from the provider,
but would rather not reconfigure the 120+ systems on our LAN.

Thanks,
Eric

2. Can Redhat 6.1 host eXceed 6.1 Xsession? How?

3. does anyone have the ssl proxy patch for the tis firewall toolkit?

4. AMD K6-III -- does it work?

5. telnet (Solaris 2.5) vs Tis firewall (toolkit)

6. Novell, Mars & Syscon

7. Anyone using TIS Toolkit on a firewall?

8. Writing and Reading to Parallel Port

9. TIS telnet proxy problem on solaris 2.5

10. https throught linux firewall/proxy using TIS

11. Best Choice of Proxy Server: MS Proxy / Linux TIS

12. HELP Port Forwarding on Linux: Dest Port Known, Source Port High (1024-65535)

13. TIS FireWall Toolkit