Allowing non-root users to run audisp?

Post by Kevin Terne » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello;

I have a HP K410 at HP-UX 10.10.  I also have a requirement to allow a
couple of users at my organization have access to the audit logs.  I
have given them accounts and figured they could telnet in and run
"audisp".  However, when run by a non-root user, audisp complains that
"you do not have the appropriate privileges".

These people do not want or otherwise need the root password.  And I'd
rather not set the SUID bit on audisp and have to document and keep
track of another such program.

Does anyone else have any workarounds?  Thanks!

-kevin

--

                            "Promoting better living through UNIX"

Allowing non-root users to run audisp?

Post by Arran Pric » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

in a word
sudo

This is a cool and very powerful utility that will allow people to run
things as root without the root password.
You can limit what they can run as root etc...

check it out

http://www.courtesan.com/courtesan/products/sudo/sudo.html

Arran
My opinions are my own and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of
my employer.

Allowing non-root users to run audisp?

Post by Arran Pric » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

in a word
sudo

This is a cool and very powerful utility that will allow people to run
things as root without the root password.
You can limit what they can run as root etc...

check it out

http://www.courtesan.com/courtesan/products/sudo/sudo.html

Arran
My opinions are my own and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of

> Hello;

> I have a HP K410 at HP-UX 10.10.  I also have a requirement to allow a
> couple of users at my organization have access to the audit logs.  I
> have given them accounts and figured they could telnet in and run
> "audisp".  However, when run by a non-root user, audisp complains that
> "you do not have the appropriate privileges".

> These people do not want or otherwise need the root password.  And I'd
> rather not set the SUID bit on audisp and have to document and keep
> track of another such program.

> Does anyone else have any workarounds?  Thanks!

> -kevin

> --

>                             "Promoting better living through UNIX"

1. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

Hi Folks,

Here is the problem.

I have user A and user B (non-root users)

I need for user A to initiate a job as user B. How can this be done?

As you know, I can do this as root. I can start a process from root as
another user in the system (cron jobs come to my mind!) Is there a way
to do this for non-root users? I believe I need to be able to do
something like  as user A
"su - B" without being prompted for password.

Appreciate suggestions in advance.

Pasha

BTW: I am using AIX 4.3.10

2. Raw block device interface

3. Allowing non-root users to restart services

4. HELP !! NNTP.1.5.8 + INEWS problems EXPERTS PLEASE.

5. Allowing non-root user to mount fs.

6. Renaming a file damages it! ...after download

7. Is there a way to allow non-root users start/stop ISP connection?

8. Another CD-ROM question

9. How do I allow non-root users to use serial port?

10. can a non-root user be allowed to halt ?

11. allowing non-root users pppd access bashrc denies

12. how to allow non-root user to use sound card?

13. how to allow non-root users to halt the machine?