limit simultanious sessions

How can I limit the number of sessions that any one user can initiate simultaneously?

Post by Nick Andr » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:01:09

>How can I limit the number of sessions that any one user can initiate =
>simultaneously?

We're talking concurrent login sessions on a shell server, right? :-)

Nick.
--
Pacific Internet               SP4   Fax: +61-2-9247-4738 Voice: 03-9674-7543
                                     http://www.zeta.org.au/~nick/

limit simultanious sessions

Post by Kevin Crittendo » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:27:52

Yes, on HPUX 10.2.

> >How can I limit the number of sessions that any one user can initiate =
> >simultaneously?

> We're talking concurrent login sessions on a shell server, right? :-)

> Nick.
> --
> Pacific Internet               SP4   Fax: +61-2-9247-4738 Voice:
03-9674-7543
>                                      http://www.zeta.org.au/~nick/
>        "Sorry to say this, but the job falls to the ultimate defenders
>             of liberty - you and me." [Keith Henson, 2000-06-29]

limit simultanious sessions

Post by Angry Bo » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 02:50:34

this is a Kevin Crittendon scroll!  it says:

Quote:> How can I limit the number of sessions that any one user can initiate simultaneously?

try a:

man 2 setrlimit

if that does work, try a:

man -k limit

and see if anything looks helpful.

--
AngryBob
        if i were a rom construct, would a lexical closure be my womb?

Post by Nick Andr » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:32:10

>> >How can I limit the number of sessions that any one user can initiate =
>> >simultaneously?
>> We're talking concurrent login sessions on a shell server, right? :-)
>Yes, on HPUX 10.2.

Pretty damn difficult if they have shell access and write access on
a directory on a filesystem which permits execution. They could run
their own sshd listening on a non-privileged port, or "screen" and
have a few terminal windows open simultaneously. They might even run
a multiplexling protocol through the (e.g.) single shell session you
permit. You would have to firewall off non-privileged ports, which might
render your server useless, turn off write access and execute privilege,
which might also defeat the purpose of allowing access in the first place,
or run a different shell per user. You might decrease the per-user
process limit, but this might also reduce functionality beyond an
acceptable point.

On the other hand, why even bother making such a restriction?

Nick.
--
Pacific Internet               SP4   Fax: +61-2-9247-4738 Voice: 03-9674-7543
                                     http://www.zeta.org.au/~nick/
       "Sorry to say this, but the job falls to the ultimate defenders
            of liberty - you and me." [Keith Henson, 2000-06-29]

limit simultanious sessions

Post by Norman Levi » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 06:03:59

Yes, this can be done in AIX also with a user written
routine that is specified in /etc/security/user
in the "auth1" statement.

> Yes, on HPUX 10.2.

> > >How can I limit the number of sessions that any one user can initiate =
> > >simultaneously?

> > We're talking concurrent login sessions on a shell server, right? :-)

> > Nick.
> > --
> > Pacific Internet               SP4   Fax: +61-2-9247-4738 Voice:
> 03-9674-7543
> >                                      http://www.zeta.org.au/~nick/
> >        "Sorry to say this, but the job falls to the ultimate defenders
> >             of liberty - you and me." [Keith Henson, 2000-06-29]

--
Norman Levin

1. KDM autologout and simultanious sessions.

        I have my system (FreeBSD 5.0) setup with KDM. It Makes things quite
 a bit easier then XDM, but I still can't figure a few things out. Can
I have multiple people logged in at the same time. (e.g. user A logs in, sta
rts an animation rendering in POVRay, and opens a few web pages in mozilla.
User B then needs to check his mail and edit a file, so A logs out, B lo
gs in, does his stuff, logs out, then when A logs back in his programs are
 still runing.) Right now when a user logs out they might as well be shuttin
g down the computer.

        I also want KDM to automaticly log the user out after a certain amo
unt of time. Currently I can set KDE to lock the screen, but then anothe
r user can't log in. This would only be usefull if my first question
can be answered. Timesharing is so much more difficult with a GUI.

Thanks,
David Carrier

2. add ia64 relocs to <linux/elf.h>

3. Restrict simultanious sessions

4. dip: Unknown server error ?

5. Limiting number of simultanious accesses

6. sound difficulties

7. How can I set a login "time limit" for a session?

8. AMD K6 III 400 problems with Linux

9. limiting telnet sessions/user

10. Limiting number of concurrent sessions

11. Limiting Telnet sessions per user.

12. Limit the Number of Telnet Sessions a user can open?

13. limiting term session