New to Unix

Post by Dragonfly19 » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 04:20:11

Hello all,

Sorry to bother you.  I am about to start studying Unix from scratch and would
like to know if you can recommend a good entry level book or study material
that would help me to get started.  I do have my NT4.0 MCSE, so I am not an
idiot, but I have seen the light ! !

You can reply directly to my e-mail address.

Thanking you kindly in advance.

Redards,

The Dragonfly.

New to Unix

Post by Goblin » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 05:08:46

Haj,

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html is your friend :))))
man pages also !!! :)))

Quote:> Hello all,

> Sorry to bother you.  I am about to start studying Unix from scratch and
would
> like to know if you can recommend a good entry level book or study
material
> that would help me to get started.  I do have my NT4.0 MCSE, so I am not
an
> idiot, but I have seen the light ! !

> You can reply directly to my e-mail address.

> Thanking you kindly in advance.

> Redards,

> The Dragonfly.

New to Unix

Post by Lew Pitch » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 05:15:21

Quote:>Hello all,

>Sorry to bother you.  I am about to start studying Unix from scratch and would
>like to know if you can recommend a good entry level book or study material
>that would help me to get started.  I do have my NT4.0 MCSE, so I am not an
>idiot, but I have seen the light ! !

"Operating Systems: Design and Implementation" by Andrew Tanenbaum and
Albert Woodhull

Quote:>You can reply directly to my e-mail address.

No, I can't. Usenet isn't a write-only medium, and if you ask here,
you read the answer here.

Quote:>Thanking you kindly in advance.

Your welcome.

Quote:>Redards,

>The Dragonfly.

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

New to Unix

Post by Dimitri Mazi » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 06:36:14

Quote:>I do have my NT4.0 MCSE, so I am not an
>idiot, but I have seen the light ! !

Parse error in /dev/brane, core dumpeNO CARRIER

http://www.google.com/search?q=introduction+to+unix
http://www.google.com/search?q=learning+unix
http://www.google.com/search?q=unix+for+dummies
etc.

Dima
--

I'm going to exit now since you don't want me to replace the printcap. If you
change your mind later, run

New to Unix

Post by rich jankows » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:14:41

Quote:>I do have my NT4.0 MCSE, so I am not an
>idiot, but I have seen the light ! !

Ummm, well, ahh........Welcome aboard I guess!

Seriously though, one of my favorite books to give someone new to UNIX is
good old circa 1984 "The UNIX Programming Enviornment", by Brian Kernighan
and Rob Pike of Bell Labs.

It's definately dated, and doesn't have a fancy cover or typeset. But I don't
think there's another book out there that can provide so much information,
in such a readable book.

--
rich jankowski

New to Unix

Post by gato » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:25:28

If your interested in FreeBSD, check out www.freebsddiary.org

-jdd

Quote:> Hello all,

> Sorry to bother you.  I am about to start studying Unix from scratch and
would
> like to know if you can recommend a good entry level book or study
material
> that would help me to get started.  I do have my NT4.0 MCSE, so I am not
an
> idiot, but I have seen the light ! !

> You can reply directly to my e-mail address.

> Thanking you kindly in advance.

> Redards,

> The Dragonfly.

New to Unix

Post by Darren B » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 00:24:47

I believe it's spelt "brain". In the future if you're going to attempt to
flame someones intelligence, break out the spell check.

Darren B.

> >I do have my NT4.0 MCSE, so I am not an
> >idiot, but I have seen the light ! !

> Parse error in /dev/brane, core dumpeNO CARRIER

> http://www.google.com/search?q=introduction+to+unix
> http://www.google.com/search?q=learning+unix
> http://www.google.com/search?q=unix+for+dummies
> etc.

> Dima
> --

> I'm going to exit now since you don't want me to replace the printcap. If
you
> change your mind later, run
>     -- magicfilter config script

New to Unix

Post by Julian Midgl » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 01:19:54

>I believe it's spelt "brain". In the future if you're going to attempt to
>flame someones intelligence, break out the spell check.

Oh dear, oh dear.  Its comforting to see that USENET hasn't lost it's
predilection to descend into insults and spelling flames.

But while we're at it, why don't we resurrect those old favourites, the
.sig flame, and the quoting flame?

1. The .sig flame:

Quote:

>Version: PGP 6.5.1i

>mQGiBDqicr4RBADaWTYHWmWG7yivcfX9OaWOzu62uqN2rTHQnsE163KugLr4GCD0

[snip]

One's signature should be no more than four lines long, and ideally be
either informative or witty.  Furthermore, it should be separated from
the body of the post by the .sig separator "-- \n".  I notice that you
lose on all three counts.  No .sig separator, a signature which is 15
lines long, and which comprises your PGP public key, somewhat
pointlessly.  If I want your public key, I'll get it from the
keyservers, thanks very much; what exactly is the point of wasting
bandwidth and storage space by adding it to every post?

2. The quoting flame:

In quoting messages, the quoted text to which you refer should appear
above your own comments, to make it easier for others to follow the
flow of conversation.  Furthermore, you should trim your quotes to the
minimum necessary to preserve context.  Again, you lose on both
counts.

Conventionally, someone will follow-up to this flaming me for flaming
you, flaming me again for posting off-topic and pointing out into the
bargain that everything I've said is null and void because I'm too
stupid to know that "It is" is abbreviated to "it's" and not "its",
and that the possessive form of "it" is "its" and not "it's".  Kill
file threats are about two posts down the line, and complete anarchy
will follow shortly after that...

The fun we have...

Julian

--
Julian Midgley

Zeus Technology Ltd                     http://www.zeus.com

New to Unix

Post by Dimitri Mazi » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 02:21:30

>>I believe it's spelt "brain". In the future if you're going to attempt to
>>flame someones intelligence, break out the spell check.

>Oh dear, oh dear.  Its comforting to see that USENET hasn't lost it's
>predilection to descend into insults and spelling flames.

>But while we're at it, why don't we resurrect those old favourites, the
>.sig flame, and the quoting flame?

1. I believe it's spelt "spelled". I'm probably wrong though, English is my
   3rd language (it'd be too ironic if I were right).

3. For those who don't know (Darren): the "brane" joke is not mine.
   It was a quote. I'm sure you can find it in ahbou if you're interested.

2. I personally find the phrase "I'm not an idiot because I've MCSE" amusing
   in so very many ways... hence the joke.

4. Hitler (now we can let this thread die).

Dima
--

I'm going to exit now since you don't want me to replace the printcap. If you
change your mind later, run
    -- magicfilter config script

New to Unix

Post by Jimi Thompso » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:36:39

Oh, look, it's a Borg drone.

;)

Start with Unix in Plain English (forget the author) but it gives a nice
cross reference of DOS commands to Unix commands

Unix from Peach Pit Press

Maximum Linux Security (again, forget the author)

Linux Servers 24x7 by Craig Hunt

visit www.bookpool.com for cheap tech books ($10-15 per book cheaper than
Amazon) and read to your hearts content

Quote:> Hello all,

> Sorry to bother you.  I am about to start studying Unix from scratch and
would
> like to know if you can recommend a good entry level book or study
material
> that would help me to get started.  I do have my NT4.0 MCSE, so I am not
an
> idiot, but I have seen the light ! !

> You can reply directly to my e-mail address.

> Thanking you kindly in advance.

> Redards,

> The Dragonfly.

1. HELP NEW USER NEW TO UNIX EVEN

Ok I am making progress with Linux and from what little I do with it I can tell
I love it.
I am still having trouble mounting my dos portion of my hard drive I try
MOUNT /dev/hda1 /mnt

but that dosen't get it done .

here is my question:

How can I access the files that currently are in my win3.1 and dos partition of
my hard drive.
and
Does anyone use <Hyfax> think thats the name fax for Linux and unix based os ?
thanks
Rich

2. Porting Apollo GPR library to X

3. New linux/UNIX programs collection - new version of RXVT and more

4. Hack attack? What else to check?

5. I am new to Unix and Unix Programming HELP!

6. X Question

7. NEW: qi-unix -- quick info unix/linux

8. new to unix

9. NEW Free Unix C/S DBMS Under Development

10. new to unix

11. New to unix!! HELP

12. Installing Programs (new to unix)