Looking for Encrypted backup/restore program for UNIX

Looking for Encrypted backup/restore program for UNIX

Post by Murray Andre » Wed, 23 Nov 1994 14:11:27

We are looking for a backup product that can encrypt the backup tapes
as part of the backup process. It needs to run on some HP Vectras
running SCO Unix.

It would be preferable if the product allowed dual control for recovery
of data from the tape. e.g. two people would each need to enter a key
(or part of a key) in order for data to be recovered from the tape.

Also, decent encryption is required. i.e. full DES or better, not some
stripped down algorithm.

Use of a smart card to hold encryption keys would be nice.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
        Murray

Telstra Corporation, Corporate Security                   Fax: +61 3 632 8190
4/242 Exhibition St., Melbourne 3000. Australia

Looking for Encrypted backup/restore program for UNIX

Post by Marcus J Ran » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 23:38:51

Quote:>It would be preferable if the product allowed dual control for recovery
>of data from the tape. e.g. two people would each need to enter a key
>(or part of a key) in order for data to be recovered from the tape.

        How about using PGP and piping the dump through it, then
encrypting it with the system administrator(s) public keys as the
valid recipients?

mjr.

1. Needed: Program to backup/restore partition table

Background:
        1) Recently, the partition table on my wife's hard drive disappeared.
           Net result: Lost all of her data - but hard drive is physically OK.
           Machine had 3 partitions: 1 primary with DOS 6.22, 1 primary with
           Win 95, and 1 extended (shared, D: in both environments).

        2) We assume we're SOL this time around, but think it would be a
           good idea to prepare in future.  Seems like Linux is well suited
           to this, because it should some fairly simple dd command,
           pointing at the /dev/hda raw device.

        3) Even though this request has nothing to do with Linux per se, as
           I said above, I think a Linux solution may well present itself.
           I'm thinking something similar to the solution given to the
           perennial "How do I remove LILO from my hard disk?", which is:
           dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda ibs=512 count=1

Anyway, we tried just using FDISK to put back the first partition, but, as
you'd expect, it came back as an unformatted partition.  Is there anyway to
make it back into a formatted one???  As I said, we expect we are SOL this
time, but would like to be able to make a backup of parition table in future
in case this happens again.  Thanks in advance...

As Zeus said to Narcissus, "Watch yourself."

          hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
rwvpf wpnrrj ibf ijrfer

2. The real reason why MSWindows will NEVER be secure

3. Backup/Restore program for ext3 or Reiser?

4. remote syslog host

5. Graphical Backup/Restore Program for Linux???

6. IP masquarade & IP forwarding

7. help. restoring a backup dump/restore

8. Help: Second display head on Ultra2

9. Restore data from DDS (((AKA further proof of backup/restore issues on linux

10. full backup and restore of sco unix

11. restoring UNIX backups

12. HELP - UNIX Restore from backup tape.

13. HOW-TO cross-UNIX Remote Backups and Restores !