Tripwire -update won't update!

Post by Mark K. Pett » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi!

I'm running Tripwire 1.2 on a Solaris 2.5_x86 box.  I am finding it
impossible to inform Tripwire that a file has changed.

Example:  I recently added a user to the system.  Therefore,
obviously, /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow changed (among other things).
I ran tripwire -interactive, and it told me about those changes.  So
far, so good.

I acknowledged the changes, and asked tripwire to update its
database.  It ran itself again automatically, like it is suppsed to,
feeding itself the "-update" option with all of the right arguments (I
presume).  But it did *NOT* update the database.  The old md5
signature is still there.  What the heck?  What's going on here?  I
tried running tripwire manually from the command line, with "-update
/etc/passwd" as arguments.  It *STILL* won't update the database.
What the heck am I doing wrong?

I know about the fact that tripwire writes its database to the
directory ./databases.  I know about moving that file to the place
where tripwire expects to find its database.  But I can manually
examine that file, and the md5 signature for the /etc/passwd file is
the *old* one!

Help!!11!

Thanks!  :-)

--
  Mark K. Pettit  |  SpamGard(tm) in effect. To send me mail,