Change UNIX Password using other way

Post by Sam Cheun » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 12:58:39

Good day all,

I encountered a problem on SCO Unix, currently we have an application
running on a SCO Unix and also this application provided a login screen. But
for the security concern, we needed to change the password both application
and UNIX periodically. Is It possible to change UNIX Password without using
Unix command PASSWD ???. (ie: pipe the parameter to the unix command
PASSWD), or other way to change Unix Password w/o using PASSWD ???

Thanks a lot !!

Sam Cheung

Change UNIX Password using other way

Post by Lew Pitch » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 22:12:47

Quote:>Good day all,

>I encountered a problem on SCO Unix, currently we have an application
>running on a SCO Unix and also this application provided a login screen. But
>for the security concern, we needed to change the password both application
>and UNIX periodically. Is It possible to change UNIX Password without using
>Unix command PASSWD ???. (ie: pipe the parameter to the unix command
>PASSWD), or other way to change Unix Password w/o using PASSWD ???

Certainly there is.

Look into the crypt(3), getpwnam(3) and putpwent(3) calls.
If you use shadow passwords, you should also look at the getspnam(3) and
putspent(3) calls.

Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

Post by Will Packar » Sun, 07 Apr 2002 08:11:53

> >Good day all,

> >I encountered a problem on SCO Unix, currently we have an application
> >running on a SCO Unix and also this application provided a login screen. But
> >for the security concern, we needed to change the password both application
> >and UNIX periodically. Is It possible to change UNIX Password without using
> >Unix command PASSWD ???. (ie: pipe the parameter to the unix command
> >PASSWD), or other way to change Unix Password w/o using PASSWD ???

> Certainly there is.

> Look into the crypt(3), getpwnam(3) and putpwent(3) calls.
> If you use shadow passwords, you should also look at the getspnam(3) and
> putspent(3) calls.

Or:
   man pam

HTH,