Thanks for the Help [was Help Been Mail Bombed!]

Thanks for the Help [was Help Been Mail Bombed!]

Post by Tyler Alliso » Thu, 19 Jan 1995 06:12:07

  I want to thank all of you that sent me e-mail about the problems I
related earlier yesterday.  I found out from the admin that they had
installed tcpwrapper and had been alerted by one of the other guys on our
computer about the problem and had configured it to reject anything from the
sites that were causing problems.  Only problem that was related to me after
this was that tcpwrapper DOES NOT lock out port connections.  Though they
can not connect via telnet and other such means..they still can connect to
our Ports via telnet.
  As for the mail bombs they didnt do a very good job, thankfully, and only
sent large files that didnt take up our entire HD, or made us sit for hours
deleting them.  And as many of you suggested I have enquired with our
Network guys here at school on how to use the "filter" procedures and "elm"
(since I use PINE) and I am currently working on getting it to work.  I got
a copy of a working filter from one of the admin so I have something to work
from.

  So my next question is:
Is there a way to lock out port connections by IP address?

-Tyler

Post by Benard Aart Mesand » Thu, 19 Jan 1995 06:38:55

     So my next question is:
   Is there a way to lock out port connections by IP address?

Tyler,

  When we've had problems with a remote site being totally
anti-social, we simply block them in our routers - you might look at
doing this. You can basically make them dissapear as far as your
systems are concerned.

--
Ben Mesander                       This is not official USGS policy, etc.
                    It's not the pipe, it's the will.

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. Rootkit Detection Software

3. ATI problems...again

5. New SAMBA CookBook, LCP Milestone

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?