comp.security.unix and comp.security.misc frequently asked questions

comp.security.unix and comp.security.misc frequently asked questions

Post by Alan J Rosenth » Mon, 23 Dec 2002 23:29:01

Archive-name: computer-security/most-common-qs
Posting-frequency: monthly
Last-modified: October 2002
Last-seriously-modified: January 2001

This is a faq file for comp.security.misc and comp.security.unix.  It is
cross-posted to alt.security because I think it will also be useful there.

Please check whether your question is in this file before posting.
Also, unix-specific questions should be posted to comp.security.unix, not
comp.security.misc; so if they're in here, there are now TWO reasons not to
post them to comp.security.misc.

------------------------------

Subject: Table of contents

- This faq

- Can anyone here tell me how to exploit the [whatever] bug?
  or Can anyone here tell me how to break in to my ISP?

- What do the "identd" lines in my syslog mean?  Is this a security
  exposure?  Can I turn off identd?

- I just noticed that [something].  Has my machine been compromised?

- What does port number [whatever] mean?

- Here's new, unbreakable encryption software.

- What should I read to learn how to secure my computers?  What should I read
  to learn about computer security?

- Is there a newer version of cops?

- Tripwire fails the self-test, dumps core when building the database, and
  dumps core when verifying.

- Cops won't "make" in some versions of linux (GNU).

- Various problems with building anything under Solaris, especially
  "/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed".

- What's that weird URL with SATAN/SAINT?  I'm not running a web server!
  or SATAN says "Can't find my own hostname".

- SATAN doesn't display right in my web browser; it asks me to save the file.

- How do I find all setuid and setgid files?

- Tcp wrappers (tcpd) thinks all hosts are 0.0.0.0 in Solaris 8 or in some
  versions of AIX.

- I can't get .rhosts/.shosts to work with ssh.
(Note: there is a newsgroup comp.security.ssh)

- Should I block all ICMP at my firewall/router?

- How do I prevent my machine from announcing OS version, daemon version,
  etc in the banner message?

- How do I recover from forgetting my root password?  (Similarly: I messed up
  the root line in /etc/passwd and can't su or login as root; what do I do?)

- Is a portscan of a machine malicious/illegal/unfriendly?

- Can my ISP/employer monitor [various things I'm doing]?

- Why do some people get so upset when system penetration is called "hacking"?

------------------------------

Subject: This faq

This is not supposed to be a statement of group consensus.  This is simply
supposed to be a few VERY frequently asked questions and their answers, so
that we can snidely say "see the faq" when people ask them.  The answers
supplied are supposed to be completely uncontroversial amongst people who
know what they're talking about.  (My first answer might be a bit borderline
in this respect but I don't recall ever having seen a contrary opinion here.)
Except for the portscan question, in which I've attempted to present ALL of
the major views.

Contributions of questions are welcome (with or without answers); however,
the idea is that they are supposed to be things which have straightforward
answers and which we see very frequently (at least prior to their inclusion
in this document).  If your answer is long, it might not belong in this
document, at least as I see the purpose of this document.  For example, it is
intentional that this document doesn't contain firewall recommendations, even
though that's a frequently-asked question here.  (But see the firewall faq at
http://www.interhack.net/pubs/fwfaq/)

Thanks to Juan Gallego, Lamont Granquist, and Martin Ouwehand for additional
suggestions re finding setuid files on different versions of unix.  Thanks
to Dan Farmer for making me aware of cops 1.04+ (cf 1.04).  Thanks to Dan
Niles and Jyrki Havia for tripwire bug details as posted to the newsgroup.
Thanks to Scott Barman for a Windows NT security book reference.  Thanks to
Robert Graham for suggesting I cite his good firewall-seen.html file.
Thanks to Denis McKeon and Olaf Schreck for improvements to my bit about
editing the SATAN perl file (to avoid newbie errors).

Disclaimer: The posting of this file is not to be construed as a commitment
to provide free consulting to people I don't know.  Post your questions to
the newsgroup and I might answer them there, or someone else might do it
better.  (Although if you say "please send e-mail copies", I'm going to
ignore your message.)

Disclaimer 2: There ARE errors in this file, but at the time of writing, I
didn't know what they were.  (If I knew, I would have fixed them.)  This
document is offered on an "as-is" basis, no warranty is implied, blah blah blah.

The metafaqs say you should choose a random day of the month to post monthly
faqs on, so I just used random() and got the number 22 (I don't think it's
necessary for it to be a cryptographic random number).

Yes, I know that syntactically, these are not all "questions".

------------------------------

Subject: Can anyone here tell me how to exploit the [whatever] bug?
        or Can anyone here tell me how to break in to my ISP?

No.  We're security professionals.  We try to secure systems.  We think that
securing systems and fixing bugs are more intellectual activities than running
a program which someone else wrote which you don't understand.

You should only attempt "penetration testing" of a system with the consent
of its administrators and/or owners.  They will only be interested in your
services if you know something.  You can start your education by learning
some general computer science and computer programming, and by reading
computer security textbooks and/or newsgroups.

------------------------------

Subject: What do the "identd" lines in my syslog mean?  Is this a security
        exposure?  Can I turn off identd?

Discarding the timestamp and hostname, the lines look something like this:

    identd[10362]: from: 205.238.143.33 ( mail.dejanews.com ) for: 20546, 25
    identd[10362]: Successful lookup: 20546 , 25 : flaps.users

This states that the machine 205.238.143.33 asked your machine who was
connecting from port 20546 on your machine to port 25 on 205.238.143.33.
And your machine responded that the user was "flaps", and that flaps's group
is "users".  (10362 is the process id number of this particular invocation of
identd; for example, if two identd requests happened at about the same time
and the two lines were interleaved, it would help you sort them out.)

Theoretically, this is a security-sensitive data exposure, although the
practical effect of this is arguably nil.  And it can be very helpful to the
admin of a machine which often has more than a few simultaneous users.  When
one of your users does something untoward, this allows the remote machine to
log the username, and then the remote sysadmin's complaint to you will
contain information useful to you.  A linux machine at home connected to the
internet via ppp and with only one user should not be running identd because
it does not contribute to this process.  Very few things on the net REQUIRE
the sender to be running identd, because many machines don't have it and
because many people turn it off.

Your identd program probably has various options to configure what
information it discloses; see the man page.  You might want to run it with
options to minimize data OTHER than the above (-o and -e in the common
implementation), and/or perhaps run it with the option to report numeric uids
rather than lognames (-n), which is just as useful for tracking down
offenders from your point of view.  On the other hand, if you report numeric
uids, then in some cases the remote people will be able to gain logname<->uid
translation info (e.g. the outgoing connection is a mail message bearing
'from' information), so it's hard to say which discloses less data.

If you feel that this data is sensitive but still want to run identd, there
are some identd servers out there which report the data encrypted, so that
all the target sysadmins can do with the information they get is to send the
token back to you for your own use.  This facility might be available as -C.

You specify these options on the identd command-line, wherever it appears,
which is usually in /etc/inetd.conf.

The identd protocol is documented in RFC 1413.  It is the same as "auth".
The query specifies the port numbers only; the two IP addresses implied
are the sender and target of the identd query.  Thus you cannot query about
IP connections to other machines, although you can query about connections
which don't concern you but are to a machine you have an account on.

RFC 1413 states, "If you wouldn't run a 'finger' server due to privacy
considerations you may not want to run this protocol."  I agree with this but
suggest that it might not apply to a cryptographic identd (e.g. -C).

------------------------------

Subject: I just noticed that [something].  Has my machine been compromised?

Maybe.  You probably don't know whether it always was like this.  You should
look around your system enough of the time that you get used to how things
look BEFORE you get broken into.  And you should make a practice of following
up oddities you find, so that your judgement as to what is and is not weird
improves with experience.

If it's too late for that, before posting to comp.security.* ask at least
one local expert in the OS you're running, or in the case of unix/linux/gnu,
one local unix expert.  There may be a straightforward, happy explanation
for the behaviour you observe.  Or there may not.  Not all anomalies are the
result of an intrusion; to some extent "My machine has been broken into!" has
replaced the "I have a virus!" default explanation of a few years ago.
On the other hand, machine breakins are very common these days, too.

------------------------------

Subject: What does port number [whatever] mean?

RFC 1700 is obsolete.  The standard

read more »

comp.security.unix and comp.security.misc frequently asked questions

Post by Bahekelwa S Imath » Fri, 27 Dec 2002 11:02:09

POURQUOI LA FOI EN JESUS CHRIST
Tout homme est mortel, c'est une hypothse a laquelle l'antithse est
impensable. La vie aprs la mort par contre partage les avis des communs de
mortel. Le matrialisme tend rduire toute la ralit la matire,
celle-ci dans cette optique suffit rendre compte des phnomnes vitaux et
psychiques. Par consquent, l'homme n'est en  rien diffrent des substances
dont sont fait le corps per?u. La vision spiritualiste quant elle, affirme
chez l'homme un principe substantiel ou essentiel intrinsquement
indpendant de l'organisme. En ceci il y a lieu de prendre l'homme comme
tout entier spirituel, infini, ternel habit par le dsir de la perfection,
mais limite par le corps dont il a se dbarrasser.
Tout compte fait, sans aucune prtention de juger les opinions, la croise
des tendances, ci-haut voques, il convient de souligner l'embarras qu'il y
a considrer l'ame et le corps comme deux principes indpendant l'un de l'
autre. L'homme comme simple corporit, est un objet biologique et animal
comme tant d'autres. Or l'homme est fondamentalement un tre spirituel qui
parle, qui pense, qui ma?trise la nature et qui finit par s'impliquer
lui-mme dans son activit productrice. Toutefois, la conscience dont l'
homme est dot n'est pas de ce monde, il est idal. Ainsi donc, l'homme vit
dans son corps, il a son corps mais il n'est pas sone corps. Il constitue un
point de rencontre entre le monde et la transcendance.
Ce que nous pouvons retenir c'est que l'homme comme conscience est
spirituel, oppos une masse opaque et pleine. Grace la conscience, il
est capable de voltiger au-del du corps, se projeter dans l'avenir et
bondir dan le passe.
Cette mditation veut nous interpeller oser cette gymnastique de l'esprit,
c'est adire nous poser ces questions existentielles quelles que btes
soient-elles : d'o suis-je venu ? Qui suis-je ? Que puis-je esprer ? .
Bien que souvent ces questions demeurent sans rponses nous ne manquerons
pas de solliciter votre rponse ne fut-ce que pour ce dernier aspect : ? Que
puis-je esprer ? ?
Voil le tremplin, esprer, qui nous plonge justement dans l'avenir. L'
esprance est cense avoir un objet sans lequel le mot est vide de sens. Nul
ne peut vire sans esprance d'autant plus qu'un sujet sans esprance est en
proie l'angoisse, c'est--dire, une crainte irrsistible d'un mal
imminent. Il se cre une situation de fuite. Fuite dans les plaisirs, fuite
dans les principes moraux ou religieux, comme le yoga, le sto?cisme. fuite
dans l'indiffrence avec l'homme comme l'absolu. Entendons par l tre qui
existe par lui-mme et dont tout dpend. Cependant, la fuite offre
malheureusement une scurit illusoire entre phmre. L'exemple banal  que
nous pouvons considrer est l'expression courante ?  noyer son souci dans un
verre d'alcool ? nous nous demandons si c'est le verre d'alcool qui se noie
dans le souci ou c'est le souci qui se noie dans le verre d'alcool. On peut
oublier momentanment un problme, mais est-ce oublier rsoudre le problme
? Le mdecin n'utilise-t-il pas l'anesthsie pour traiter un patient ? Mais
est-ce la douleur s'arrte par-l ? .
Le grand problme du cour humain consiste trouver l'objet de sa relle
esprance Autrement dit, l'homme a besoin de la scurit interne. D'amble
on serait tent de croire que l'aisance matrielle suffit pour rpondre au
grand dsir du cour humain. Mais d'o vient que la sagesse populaire dise
que l'argent ne fait pas le bonheur ? Il n'y a rien d'tonnant si on voyait
l'homme mme le mieux nanti cherchant opiniatrement le bonheur mme dans les
livres. On aimerait bien se confier en un homme puissant de ce monde pour
entre heureux. Mais l ; homme est fini et limite. Il s'efface comme une
vapeur et aussit?t mme la place qu'il occupait ne reconna?t plus.
En dernier analyse, la confiance en un homme n'est que dception. Par
consquent, l'objet d'un dsir ternel est ternel C'est Dieu.
Comment accder Dieu pour la scurit de notre cour ?
La seule source qui nous parle de Dieu et son amour c'est la bible> dans ce
livre Dieu se rvle comme un DIUE D'AMOUR. Son amour est offert tout le
monde par Jsus-Christ. Selon l'vangile de Jean 3 : 16, cependant tout le
monde ne sait pas exprimenter cet amour par ce que l'homme pcheur est
spar de Dieu, pourtant Dieu a cr l'homme pour vivre en relation avec lui
mais l'homme a prfr son indpendance.
La consquence de ce choix ce fut la rupture de la relation entre l'homme
est Dieu. C'est ce que la Bible appelle pch. Marcher selon le dsir de son
cour, faire sa propre volont.
D'autre part l'homme n'est en aucune manire neutre. Comme dire Martin
Luther, s'il n'est pas men par Dieu, il l'est par le diable, l'ange
rvolt. Donc l'inimiti avec Dieu c'est l'amiti avec le Diable. Ce dernier
offre un substitut pour tout ce qui est de Dieu. Par exemple a la place de
la Bible, il donne les livre de magie, le tirage des cartes, l'horoscope .Il
remplace la prie par les formules magiques, des maldictions, au lieu de l'
glise il propose des cercles magiques, des boites des obscnes etc. , les
gurisons par la foi, il les remplace par des incantations des faux
gurisseurs.
Du reste, l'homme spar de Dieu est spirituellement mort, affirme l'ap?tre
Paul dans Romains 6 : 23. Tous les efforts de l'homme savoir l'honntet,
la bonne conduite, la religion, les pries, n'ont aucun pouvoir d'?ter les
pchs. Par consquent ne peuvent pas nous mener Dieu.
 Certaines religions imposent la pnitence, d'autres recommandent les bonnes
ouvres, les sacrifices etc., mais dans tous cela il n'y a pas de place pour
le pardon des pchs accorde par Dieu. Seul Jsus-Christ par sa mort ignoble
pour toi et moi sur la croix et sa rsurrection victorieuse d'entre les
morts s'est donne comme un pont entre l'homme pcheur et Dieu saint. Par Lui
vous pouvez exprimenter l'amour et le plan de Dieu pour votre vie. ?
Personne ne peut aller au Pre autrement que par moi ? dit Jsus (Jean 10 :
10)
Vous pouvez accepter Jsus-Christ par la foi comme Sauveur et Seigneur et
ensuite vous pouvez exprimenter l'amour et le plan de Dieu. Accepter Jsus
Christ c'est lui donner la direction de votre vie, c'est--dire cder le
centre des dcisions de votre vie a Jsus, c'est vous dtourner des pchs
et laisser Jsus vivre sa vie en vous.
ACCEPTER CHRIST REQUIERT UN TRIPLE ENGAGEMENT
1. Engagement de l'intelligence :
L'homme qui prend une dcision importante dans sa vie doit la m?rir. De mme
il convient de savoir en qui ou en quoi on s'engage car la foi chrtienne
repose sur des faits historiques vrifiables. A savoir la naissance de
jsus, sa vie, sa mort et sa rsurrection
2. Engagement des sentiments :
L'homme est par nature motionnel, cependant, les motions ne devront pas
prendre une place excessivement important dans votre relation avec Dieu car
cela ne peut que vous conduire au doute de votre salut. Certaines personnes
connaissent des expriences bouleversantes dans leurs rencontres avec le
Seigneur, ce fut le cas de l'Ap?tre Paul, tandis que d'autres le font
calmement ce fut le cas de Timothe qui a appris conna?tre le Seigneur par
sa mre. Votre assurance du salut doit se baser sur la parole de Dieu. S'il
nous arrive de prendre en considration les tmoignages des hommes, a plus
forte raison, que dirions-nous du tmoignage de Dieu rendu sur son fils et
au sujet de celui qui croit en lui ?
? Voici ce tmoignage : Dieu nous a donne la vie ternelle et cette vie nous
sont accorde en son fils. Celui qui a le fils de Dieu a la vie ; celui qui
n'a pas le fils de n'a pas la vie. Je vous cris afin que vous sachiez que
vous avez la vie ternelle vous qui croyez au nom du fils de Dieu ? (1Jean 5
: 9-13) C'est la plus grande promesse et la plus grande scurit.
Le Saint Esprit de mme rend tmoignage a notre esprit que nous sommes
enfants de Dieu, nous qui croyons en Jsus Vous pouvez, vous aussi devenir
enfant de Dieu selon Jean 1 : 12
Que les sentiments puissent varier, c'est tout fait normal car les
circonstances ne sont pas toujours les mmes. Mais Dieu n'abandonne jamais
celui qui se confie en Lui.
3. Engagement de la volont :
Vous pouvez vouloir aussi accepter. Le dsir d'obir sa propre volte est
une des raisons qui empchement beaucoup de  personnes se donner Jsus L
'orgueil soit intellectuel, soit matriel maintient l'homme de faire le pas
vers Christ. D'Autres estiment que la foi en Jsus comme une srie des lois
contraignant leur libert, arrachant de leur cour toute joie pour combler
leur existence de tristesse. Mais quel est ce Dieu qui appellerait les
hommes et les femmes venir vers lui pour leur arracher de le la joie. Ne
dit-il pas que ? je connais les projets que j'ai forme sur vous ; projets de
paix et non de malheur afin de vous donner un avenir de l'esprance ? ?
Jrmie 29 : 11
Pour se maintenir dans le pch, certaines autres personnes n'ont pas le
temps de s'interroger sur la valeur de leur foi en Jsus-Christ,
entretiennent de doutes volontairement puis les rationalisent. Cet tat
relve du manque de foi, et du dsir de cacher la dsobissance a Dieu.
Somme toute, cette rflection ne saurait toucher sa fin sans prciser ce
qui suit :
1) Dieu vous aime et il a un plan merveilleux pour votre vie
2) L'homme est pcheur ainsi il ne peut pas conna?tre et exprimenter ce que
sont l'amour et le plan de Dieu pour sa vie.
3) Jsus-Christ est le seul chemin par lequel vous pouvez atteindre Dieu. Il
est mort pour nous, par lui vous pouvez exprimenter l'amour et le plan de
Dieu pour votre vie.
4) Vous devez personnellement accepter Jsus-Christ dans votre vie comme
Seigneur et Sauveur. Vous pouvez recevoir ...

read more »