forgot root passw of dec osf/1 unix

Post by num » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

CAN Anyone help me ?

Forgot root passw of DEC OSF/1 unix on a alphaserver 400,

Can i do anything... ?

Please i'm despered....

Post by Maxim A. Sadovsk » Sat, 25 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> CAN Anyone help me ?

> Forgot root passw of DEC OSF/1 unix on a alphaserver 400,

> Can i do anything... ?

> Please i'm despered....

Poower cycle your computer, then press CTRL-P during startup or HALT
button to get ">>>" prompt. Then type "boot -fl S" to boot compter into
single user mode. After this you may mount your filesystems and issue
"passwd" command to change root password.

Max Sadovski

forgot root passw of dec osf/1 unix

Post by Scott Cheadl » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Providing you havent set the secure single user mode. If you have, then you
could run smashdu, (download from www.rootshell.com), to run an exploit on
the inc program, (Part of the MH suite, Setuid root), which overflows the
stack, giving a root shell. I had to do this on a DU 4.0D machine a while
ago that everyone forgot the root password on. This means that the machine
can stay up and running, (quite important in a production environment).

Scott Cheadle.

> > CAN Anyone help me ?

> > Forgot root passw of DEC OSF/1 unix on a alphaserver 400,

> > Can i do anything... ?

> > Please i'm despered....

> Poower cycle your computer, then press CTRL-P during startup or HALT
> button to get ">>>" prompt. Then type "boot -fl S" to boot compter into
> single user mode. After this you may mount your filesystems and issue
> "passwd" command to change root password.

> Max Sadovski

1. Linux olvwm under DEC OSF/1 / DEC UNIX?

At my university most of the computers are DEC ALPHAs which run DEC OSF/1
and a more recent version called Digital UNIX.   Both of these are POSIX
compatible, like Linux.   Is it therefore possible to port the version of
the OpenLook Virtual Window Manager to the DEC platforms since here we
only have TWM and Motif.   If so what is the address of the site I need
to get it from and what is the name of the file that has the olvwm source
code?

Please email me privately.

Mat

|  Matthew J Smith   |  "[The Priest] said that if you have to work    |

|                    |         - Jeannette Winterson, "The Passion"    |
|    Billy Bragg / Indigo Girls info:  http://www.aber.ac.uk/~mts5/    |

2. nforce3 / amd64 support?

3. AMD running on OSF/1 (dec/alpha) version 3.2 run on OSF/1 4.0?

4. DOSEMU

5. DEC OSF/1 UNIX rel-time interface

6. Executing external code inline

7. us-ok-tulsa unix system administrator, hp-ux , dec osf/1 , sun solaris , recruiter , RSI

8. (patch for Bash) for a,b,c in ...; do ...; done

9. root passw delete ?

10. forgot root password on AT&T System V Unix

11. Q:forgot the root password on ss10.how to get in as root?

12. under DEC UNIX v4.0d >su - root ?

13. CERN on DEC Alpha (OSF/1) gives SIGPIPE errors with Perl scripts