IP Addressing

Post by Ryan War » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

How could a person select his own IP address even though an ISP is running
dynamically?

IP Addressing

Post by Ryan War » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I do know that a person is able to get the IP address he wants. I am
trying to figure out how. He must be able to boot a person of the line he
wants and take that IP. Any suggestions how he's able to do this? Is he
hacking into a router and re-routing traffic?

IP Addressing

--
         />             JaDe     |     Star                 <\
        /<                         \|/                          >\

IP Addressing

Post by Bob Hau » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>How could a person select his own IP address even though an ISP is running
>dynamically?

1.  Pay the toll for a dedicated line or a static IP.  Most ISP's offer
    static IP's as an extra-cost option.  At WCG, users with Business
    accounts can get one static IP on request.  Policies vary a lot in
    this area though.

2.  Use IP Masquerading.  This is useful if you have a network that you
    want to gateway through a dial-on-demand system.  The network would
    use bogus IP's (e.g. 192.168.1.0) and the gateway patches the packets
    to make them appear to come from the gateway.  Not too useful for
    running WWW and FTP servers though, as the gateway address is still
    dynamic and the bogus addresses are not routed on the Net.

3.  Get your own Class C and pay your ISP to route it.

IP addresses are a scarce commodity right now, so ISP's aren't going
to be handing them out for free to everyone who asks.  If (when?) IPv6
becomes the standard, this issue will go away.

---

 Wasatch Communications Group               http://www.wasatch.com

IP Addressing

Post by Daniel Pewzn » Sun, 09 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I do know that a person is able to get the IP address he wants. I am
: trying to figure out how. He must be able to boot a person of the line he
: wants and take that IP. Any suggestions how he's able to do this? Is he
: hacking into a router and re-routing traffic?

If you get very few busies from your ISP, ask them what their last phone
number is.  Since many ISPs assign IP addresses to modems (or ports), if
you always connect to the same modem, you can essentially have a static IP
address.

IP Addressing

Post by Doug McInty » Sun, 09 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>: I do know that a person is able to get the IP address he wants. I am
>: trying to figure out how. He must be able to boot a person of the line he
>: wants and take that IP. Any suggestions how he's able to do this? Is he
>: hacking into a router and re-routing traffic?
>If you get very few busies from your ISP, ask them what their last phone
>number is.  Since many ISPs assign IP addresses to modems (or ports), if
>you always connect to the same modem, you can essentially have a static IP
>address.

That will work for Annex or cisco term servers, but not livingston. The
livingston portmasters give out IP's fairly randomly. If you want the
benifits of a static account why not pay for it? Almost all ISP's can
do it.
--

Internet services and dialups.

IP Addressing

Post by Brian Harve » Mon, 10 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>: I do know that a person is able to get the IP address he wants. I am
>: trying to figure out how. He must be able to boot a person of the line he
>: wants and take that IP. Any suggestions how he's able to do this? Is he
>: hacking into a router and re-routing traffic?

>If you get very few busies from your ISP, ask them what their last phone
>number is.  Since many ISPs assign IP addresses to modems (or ports), if
>you always connect to the same modem, you can essentially have a static IP
>address.

Not if they are using Livingston TSs.  They just pull their ips from a pool.
It doesn't matter what port you are calling in under.  I wouldn't give
anyone the last number anyway, and even if I did it wouldn't be the same one
forever.

Brian

IP Addressing

Post by Frank 'Scruffy' Mill » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>That will work for Annex or cisco term servers, but not livingston. The
>livingston portmasters give out IP's fairly randomly. If you want the
>benifits of a static account why not pay for it? Almost all ISP's can
>do it.

Acutally ... you can do it very well with a livingstion
utilizing radiusd configs ... most ISP's that I set up
have their radius configs with static IP's first, finally
defaulting to the dynamic IP's verified against the UNIX
password database.

Technical Computing Group Leader |    "Laugh while you can,
Tektronix CNA Division           |    monkey-boy!!!!"

IP Addressing

Post by Doc Hollida » Sun, 15 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> >That will work for Annex or cisco term servers, but not livingston. The
> >livingston portmasters give out IP's fairly randomly. If you want the
> >benifits of a static account why not pay for it? Almost all ISP's can
> >do it.

> Acutally ... you can do it very well with a livingstion
> utilizing radiusd configs ... most ISP's that I set up
> have their radius configs with static IP's first, finally
> defaulting to the dynamic IP's verified against the UNIX
> password database.

> --

> Technical Computing Group Leader |    "Laugh while you can,
> Tektronix CNA Division           |    monkey-boy!!!!"

IMHO opinion RADIUS does not handle static IP addresses well with Win95
PPP clients using the software built in to Windoze 95...it can be
done...however...it is better to put the static IP in the user log of
the Portmaster, directly, and have the Portmaster authenticate the
user...either that or be prepared to spend a bunch of time helping your
user configure Windoze 95...

IP Addressing

Post by Thomas H. Ptac » Mon, 16 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>IMHO opinion RADIUS does not handle static IP addresses well with Win95
>PPP clients using the software built in to Windoze 95...it can be

How do you figure this? What's "to do well" or "not to do well"? If your
router uses RADIUS to authenticate incoming calls, it needs to exchange
access-request/access-granted anyways - how does static IP complicate
this?

Quote:>the Portmaster, directly, and have the Portmaster authenticate the
>user...either that or be prepared to spend a bunch of time helping your
>user configure Windoze 95...

We're currently using RADIUS for static IP addresses, and it's working
absolutely swimmingly, using PAP. Even the "server assigned DNS" kludge is
working well. What problems have you seen?

Tom Ptacek at The rdist Organization / exit(main(kfp->kargc, argv, environ));

"If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"

IP Addressing

Post by Vikram Baj » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I don't agree at all.  RADIUS delivers these services quite well.  What
difficulties have you had?

Truly,

Vik Bajaj

Post by Doug McInty » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I don't agree at all.  RADIUS delivers these services quite well.  What
>difficulties have you had?

>: IMHO opinion RADIUS does not handle static IP addresses well with Win95
>: PPP clients using the software built in to Windoze 95...it can be
>: done...however...it is better to put the static IP in the user log of
>: the Portmaster, directly, and have the Portmaster authenticate the
>: user...either that or be prepared to spend a bunch of time helping your
>: user configure Windoze 95...

And the Portmaster user table can only hold a few hundred entries. There
is no difference in getting user data via Radius, vs. the user table,
especially for a static IP. Win 95 does have a bug though when people try
to program in a static IP and use PPP. Most of the time it doesn't work.
Win '95 really really wants to get the IP itself when doing PPP, which is
fine, a static customer always would get the same IP delivered to him
each time he calls in.

--

                   Network Engineer of Vector Internet
Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate