crack wanted for unix 'crypt'

Post by Hans Kruinige » Wed, 23 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Help  - all you hackers and crackers!

We have managed to lose the key with which an important file was
encrypted unsing the unix 'crypt' program (HP-UX version 9).

Does anyone have any suggestions about ways of cracking such a
thing?  Useful addresses of ex-Soviet bureaux with idle
supercomputers  ??

TIA

Hans Kruiniger

crack wanted for unix 'crypt'

Post by Paul Wal » Fri, 01 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Help  - all you hackers and crackers!
>We have managed to lose the key with which an important file was
>encrypted unsing the unix 'crypt' program (HP-UX version 9).

You are in luck...there is a program called the "crypt breaker's
workbench" which can be obtained from;

ftp://coast.cs.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/cbw.tar.Z

Quote:>Hans Kruiniger

~~~
Paul Walsh

1. 'cryptdir' relies on missing 'crypt' ?

My Linux system (RH5.1) has a 'cryptdir' script in /usr/bin, which is
supposed to encrypt every file in a directory and then remove the
plaintext copies, but it invokes a certain 'crypt' program (or script)
which does not seem to exist anywhere on the system.  The script
indicates that 'crypt' accepts a filename as an argument, prompts for a
key, and then puts out an encrypted version of the file.

Is 'crypt' a standard utility that I should be able to find somewhere?
Is there another program that will provide the described functionality
so I can just modify 'cryptdir' to call it instead?

Thanks,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

2. Lex/Yacc issues

3. WANTED: unix source code for command 'date'

4. GRE Tunnels Questions

5. UNIX 'C' DEVELOPER WANTED (UK)

6. IRC-Server

7. 'star' testers wanted: new command 'gnutar'

8. Playing sound

9. URGENT!!! crack unix crypt

10. Unix's 'rz' & 'sz'

11. Harder cracking if you've UNIX source

12. need boson unix and it's crack

13. error compiling apache - undefined reference to `crypt' in function `authenticate_basic_user'