freebsd passwd file corrupt

Post by rich » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I need some help.
I have taken a new position at an isp and one of
the nameservers cannot be logged in a root.
I can access via a differnet user.
How can I reset the root password.

Richard

Post by Bruce Toml » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I need some help.
> I have taken a new position at an isp and one of
> the nameservers cannot be logged in a root.
> I can access via a differnet user.
> How can I reset the root password.

Try "man su".

Better installations of Unix-like operating systems will not allow you to
log in as root over "insecure" channels like Ethernet which can be
tapped.  (see /etc/securetty)  Even using "su" to change to root is a bad
idea.

You should look into getting ssh installed.  (www.ssh.org)

Post by John Hobso » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I need some help.
>I have taken a new position at an isp and one of
>the nameservers cannot be logged in a root.
>I can access via a differnet user.
>How can I reset the root password.

Take it down to single user mode.

John Hobson