YDL/CS 1.2: Emulate 3-button mouse w/ 1-button ADB?

YDL/CS 1.2: Emulate 3-button mouse w/ 1-button ADB?

Post by J. Brad Hick » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Yes, yes, I know. Truly the ways of Linux I will never master until I
get a real mouse. So sue me. :-)

I've got an effectively one-button ADB mouse. This makes Gnome and KDE
rather, well, "challenging." I've read plenty of stuff about how Linux
for PPC is supposed to be able to map keyboard keys to the 2nd and 3rd
buttons -- but I'll be damned if I can figure out what they're talking
about.

I found the note about adding "adb_buttons=1,122,120" to the kernel
arguments. I will admit, I'm not entirely sure where you specify kernel
arguments. Does this mean the "extra kernel arguments" field in BootX?
If so, did that -- it didn't work.

What I'd =like= is if I can do what MacOS does, namely, instead of
mapping them to keys, map them to modifier-click combinations, like
open-apple-click for button 2 and control-click for 3. But nobody seems
to be doing that.

(By the way, among the things that messed me up; every OTHER weird OS or
emulator I've used mapped "alt" to the option key. It took me 20 minutes
to figure out that YDL mapped it to the open-apple key. Weird. And just
plain =wrong=, too, since the option key =says= "alt" on it as well.)

--

J. Brad Hicks
U.S. Shamanics & Mechanical Zen

http://www.us-shamanics.com/brad/

YDL/CS 1.2: Emulate 3-button mouse w/ 1-button ADB?

Post by J. Brad Hick » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>> I found the note about adding "adb_buttons=1,122,120" to the kernel
>> arguments. I will admit, I'm not entirely sure where you specify kernel
>> arguments. Does this mean the "extra kernel arguments" field in BootX?
>> If so, did that -- it didn't work.

>that is the correct location for the adb_buttons argument. On mine,
>those values map to the F1 and F2 keys on the ADB Apple Extended
>Keyboard

Is there a man page or something that lists what those key numbers are?

--

J. Brad Hicks
U.S. Shamanics & Mechanical Zen

http://www.us-shamanics.com/brad/

1. Emulating 3-button mouse/trackball with a 2-button device?

I'd like to hook up a trackball to an Ultra-10. I got the converter box
that lets
me hookup PC devices to it. Since I like to use the middle button for
pasting, I need
so somehow emulate the 3'rd button. Can somebody tell me how to map the
two-button versions
to emulate the standard 3-button mouse. I've seen this on Linux.

Please e-mail

Thanks
Axel
--
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Axel Schweiger

#-------The secret of the polar bear is that he wears long
underwear----------

2. Problem with select() in a loop ...

3. Emulating 3-button mouse with only 1 button?

4. HELP: RPM INSTALLED TWICE

5. How to emulate a 3-button mouse with a standard Apple mouse?

6. Non-buffering using ioctl for stdin? (HATE getchar())

7. Can 2-button mouse do 3-button mouse works?

8. Can't get Win95 to logon to Samba as a PDC

9. 2 button mouse doesn't emulate 3 button mouse

10. Logitech 3-button adb mouse?

11. 3-button ADB mice?

12. 3-button ADB mice

13. 3-button ADB mouse for Linux?