Mac Newbie

Post by Steve B » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:24:23

I've had one of the iBooks with the 14" screen for a few months, but
decided to rebuild it and split the hard drive between OS X 10.2 and
Linux.  I'm very familiar with PC and Linux, but not Mac's. From what
I've read it appears YDL will give me the best device support out of
the box. So my only area of concern is dual boot and slicing up the
disk.

Questions...

Does it matter which OS I put on first.

Will the YDL installer setup the dual boot for me if OS X is already
present.

Any comments on slicing up the disk. I was thinking of going simple
and just swap and root.

TIA
Steve Barnette

Mac Newbie

Post by Bernard mentin » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:14:50

Hi Steve,

see below:

> I've had one of the iBooks with the 14" screen for a few months, but
> decided to rebuild it and split the hard drive between OS X 10.2 and
> Linux.  I'm very familiar with PC and Linux, but not Mac's. From what
> I've read it appears YDL will give me the best device support out of
> the box. So my only area of concern is dual boot and slicing up the
> disk.

> Questions...

> Does it matter which OS I put on first.

Better to install OS X first on a partition. Important to leave the rest
unused. i.e do not partition the rest for Linux, just leave it "un-used"
Then intstall YDL

Quote:

> Will the YDL installer setup the dual boot for me if OS X is already
> present.

Yes, it will sort it all out. I have OS 9, OS X and YDL (installed YDL last)

Quote:> Any comments on slicing up the disk. I was thinking of going simple
> and just swap and root.

Works for me.

Cheers,
Bernie

Quote:> TIA
> Steve Barnette

1. Linux on the Mac: newbie suggestion

I was lurking about, noticing the discussion about the demise of MacLinux
(uh, was it _ever_ alive ?), and I was wondering:

What would it take to construct a port of Linux that ran on top of a
bare-bones version of System 7.x ?

Okay, I know this sounds particularly disgusting to Unix devotees, but
Tenon is having fun (and making money) with this approach.  From what I
hear, their product is no slouch either (it's the only version of Unix
you can have on a PowerBook, as their ads say.. unless you wish to pay
for the unsupported A/UX. =-(  ).

FWIW, I'd love to install some form of POSIX-compliant Unix on my Mac, but
not at Tenon's of Apple's prices.  (I have a machine with a 68040LC chip,
so MacBSD is *not* an option.  Might never be, either... =-(  )

(And by possibly providing some degree of compatibility with the existing
Atari/Amiga/68k source base, who knows.. a lot of porting could be
circumvented too.)

Just a thought from a newbie,
-- Prisoner
--

"I feel that true freedom lies within, where I shall never find it." --
John S. Hall

2. deskjet 850c and linux

3. (Mac newbie) Hard to have dual-boot system w/ Linux?

4. 2 display system?

5. Total Mac Newbie: I'm looking for documentation "How to install Linux on a power pc"

6. Timeout Waiting for DMA when using IDE CD Writer

7. comp.sys.mac.misc comp.sys.mac.system comp.sys.mac.apps

8. File formats (was Re: Word97 filters for Word95)

9. Apache 1.3.23 on Mac OS X [newbie]

10. Newbie in Mac/LinuxPPC 2K

11. newbie Q: connecting mac and pc?

12. Newbie to Unix on mac os X

13. Newbie: 1) VPN with Win95 and 2) MAC - PC bridge