Getting OpenFirmware to "see" MillenniumII

Getting OpenFirmware to "see" MillenniumII

Post by zan » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

OK, I have a Millennium II PCI card in my PowerMac(PCPro), it used to be
in a Pentium.  It works great in MacOS and BeOS.  But it does not work
in LinuxPPC, I do not expect a X server (just yet) but I was hoping I
could use my console.  So how do I set this card as my out put device?
What are the chances of seeing an X server?

Zan

Post by anthony m ton » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: OK, I have a Millennium II PCI card in my PowerMac(PCPro), it used to be
: in a Pentium.  It works great in MacOS and BeOS.  But it does not work
: in LinuxPPC, I do not expect a X server (just yet) but I was hoping I
: could use my console.  So how do I set this card as my out put device?
: What are the chances of seeing an X server?

Probably a Xserver before we have console drivers if OF doesn't recognize
it.

Several questions--I've been looking at video cards lately, and seeing
the possibility of doing XFree86 ports for them to the ppc.

Does it 'just' work in MacOS? Are any special drivers required? Is this
the exact card that you're using in a x86 machine, *not* a macos/ppc
version of the card?

--
anthony tong -> http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~atong PGP key avail

[...]

I bought this card to go into a Cyrex686 system in order to get BeOS
working, I later found out BeOS does not support the Cyrex686 without
MMX.  So instead of seeing the card go to waist (ie Win95) I went to the
Matrox web site and found this neat little BIOS flasher and drivers for
MacOS, then I just put it in my Mac, started off internal video, flashed
the bios and installed the drivers and restarted with my monitor
connected to my new PCI graphics card.  Works great in MacOS and BeOS,
if there was an X server (even with out console support) I could use
LinuxDisks to switch X servers and config XDM.  How much work have to go
into porting the XFree86 server?  Any ideas?

Zan

Getting OpenFirmware to "see" MillenniumII

Post by Ulrich Hab » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>: OK, I have a Millennium II PCI card in my PowerMac(PCPro), it used to be

that's bad ..here are my 2 cents :

Matrox won't give any information about the cards away. This might be the
same problem as on i86 Linux (SuSe,RedHat etc). It is supported..but not
for 100 %.

--
Uli

-------8<----------------*snip*---------------->8-------
Ulrich Habel                         Tel : 09672  915163

http://www.cu-muc.de/user/levi       LinuxPPC       User
IRC :   European         EFNET       #de.mac      _Levi_
..Linux _is_ user friendly..
                 - it's just selective about its friends

Post by anthony m ton » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: >: OK, I have a Millennium II PCI card in my PowerMac(PCPro), it used to be

: that's bad ..here are my 2 cents :

: Matrox won't give any information about the cards away. This might be the
: same problem as on i86 Linux (SuSe,RedHat etc). It is supported..but not
: for 100 %.

They've loosened up and helped the XFree folks out. ATI's been horrible
at the start, but they've actually helped a few of us linuxppc dev folks
out.. granted, it took months. I think that there's going to be a port
of the chips X server available soon, and hopefully we can get the
ati mach64 one working properly too. I've looked at other cards; maybe riva128
support would be possible since the code in xfree is rom independent
(though it won't work for macos). of course, s3's maybe possible too..
I believe that there are s3 based boards that work under macos, but
i haven't investigated too much.

anyone interested in helping out? eg. with hardware donations or
development? even a spare monitor or X terminal.. it's really though
doing graphics dev with only one display.

it's tough to squeeze more speed out of the framebuffer based Xpmac with the
mklinux wip kernels on non-AV powermacs.. we really need accelerated X
servers for ppc.

thanks.

--
anthony tong -> http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~atong PGP key avail

Getting OpenFirmware to "see" MillenniumII

Post by anthony m ton » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: LinuxDisks to switch X servers and config XDM.  How much work have to go
: into porting the XFree86 server?  Any ideas?

It's been done.. it's more of a 'getting cards to work right because
of hardware differences' than a 'compiling/tweaking xfree to run on ppc'
problem.

--
anthony tong -> http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~atong PGP key avail

Getting OpenFirmware to "see" MillenniumII

Post by anthony m ton » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: OpenFirmware framework yet (I didn't see one)? How difficult is it to utilize
: the accelerated ATI drivers in XFree86? I know the probe code has to be

Difficult. Using the accel functions found in the ati server is not too
difficult, but the video hardware is not setup properly to utilize it.
Setting up the graphics card properly (we're not doing so right now) is
very different for an ati ppc card than its x86 counterpart.

Anyone with an extra/recent ATI card they can lend me? Any XCLAIM's would
be great.