Yaboot for third IDE drive

Post by Alain Bir » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

With a second IDE drive the hd parameter become ultra1 (ultra0 for the first)
But what is the parameter for a third IDE drive (pdisk show hdc and ata2.1).
I try ultra3 and ultra2 but it seem not working.

--
Alain Birtz
Cegep St-Hyacinthe College

Yaboot for third IDE drive

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> With a second IDE drive the hd parameter become ultra1 (ultra0 for the first)
> But what is the parameter for a third IDE drive (pdisk show hdc and ata2.1).
> I try ultra3 and ultra2 but it seem not working.

You need to go into OF and use devalias to figure out the OF name for the drive
in question.

--

     High-Performance Computing Support - IUPUI
Financial tip of the year; 2000 pennies are worth $20.

Yaboot for third IDE drive

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> With a second IDE drive the hd parameter become ultra1 (ultra0 for the first)
> But what is the parameter for a third IDE drive (pdisk show hdc and ata2.1).
> I try ultra3 and ultra2 but it seem not working.

You need to go into OF and use devalias to figure out the OF name for the drive
in question.

--

     High-Performance Computing Support - IUPUI
Financial tip of the year; 2000 pennies are worth $20.

Yaboot for third IDE drive

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> With a second IDE drive the hd parameter become ultra1 (ultra0 for the first)
> But what is the parameter for a third IDE drive (pdisk show hdc and ata2.1).
> I try ultra3 and ultra2 but it seem not working.

You need to go into OF and use devalias to figure out the OF name for the drive
in question.

--

     High-Performance Computing Support - IUPUI
Financial tip of the year; 2000 pennies are worth $20.

1. Can you use yaboot with no IDE drives?

  Yes, hd is an OpenFirmware alias for the Ultra/ATA bus.  hd and ultra0
are supposed to both be the master drive, ultra1 the slave.  However, I
couldn't get yaboot 0.5 to even work with ultra1, yet alone your problem
of a SCSI drive.  I believe if you can scan through your pci cards,
you'll find the location (it's probably around 35 character name) of the
card in OpenFirmware, but I can't guarantee that will work since I can't
get it to work for anything other than hd (i.e. primary IDE drive).

Yes, you're right.  I don't think fiddling with the boot variables will help.

What would help is some decent documentation on yaboot, particularly,
how to make it work on machines with more than just a primary IDE drive
and nothing else...  I wish I knew more OpenFirmware so I could make a
more informative post than just a complaint like this.

2. Maryland Users Groups ???

3. Adding a third IDE hard drive

4. RFC: one solution to sys_sync livelock fix

5. Three IDE Drives - Help

6. Double lock on socket - 1.3.69

7. Third IDE drive and linux

8. ptrace

9. Three IDE drives on Ultra 5?

10. Third IDE Hard Drive

11. Installing to hard drive on a third ide controller?

12. Third IDE drive

13. Mitsumi FX001DE (ATAPI IDE) CD-ROM as THIRD hard drive on 486