BSD for PPC

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Does anybody know whether there is a version of BSD that actually runs
on Macintosh machines and where one could obtain it?

BSD for PPC

Post by walt moffe » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anybody know whether there is a version of BSD that actually runs
> on Macintosh machines and where one could obtain it?

try www.netbsd.org and/or www.freebsd.org.  both have flavors that will run
on m68K machines and power macs.

BSD for PPC

Post by J.C. » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anybody know whether there is a version of BSD that actually runs
>on Macintosh machines and where one could obtain it?

There's no FreeBSD (and I don't think there are plans for a PPC port)

NetBSD (porting in progress, no official CD release but it can be d/l)

OpenBSD (Official CD release. Uses OF drivers... make sure your OF isn't
deficient =[ )

Hope this helps.

--
J.C.
"The free flow of information along data highways being piped into our homes and

                                     -- 'The Thunder of Justice', pg. 264

BSD for PPC

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> >Does anybody know whether there is a version of BSD that actually runs
> >on Macintosh machines and where one could obtain it?

> There's no FreeBSD (and I don't think there are plans for a PPC port)

> NetBSD (porting in progress, no official CD release but it can be d/l)

> OpenBSD (Official CD release. Uses OF drivers... make sure your OF isn't
> deficient =[ )

I have a Umax S900. Is its OF sufficient?

--
Fan of Woody Allen
Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

BSD for PPC

Post by J.C. » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>> >Does anybody know whether there is a version of BSD that actually runs
>> >on Macintosh machines and where one could obtain it?

>> There's no FreeBSD (and I don't think there are plans for a PPC port)

>> NetBSD (porting in progress, no official CD release but it can be d/l)

>> OpenBSD (Official CD release. Uses OF drivers... make sure your OF isn't
>> deficient =[ )

>I have a Umax S900. Is its OF sufficient?

Well, if your machine has OF 1.0.5, then it has no monitor driver and you won't
get any screen display. My machine has OF 1.0.5 and it was the *only* thing
stopping me installing and using OpenBSD (highly recommended) and having to use
LinuxPPC (pretty good tho...)

Most other drivers (kbd, enet) should be OK but I don't know for sure. Anyone
care to elaborate on what drivers are in the OF in the Umax S900, and what
version it is?

--

Post by Philip Striplin » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> >Does anybody know whether there is a version of BSD that actually runs
> >on Macintosh machines and where one could obtain it?

> There's no FreeBSD (and I don't think there are plans for a PPC port)
>SNIP<

Is OS X Server based on BSD? If so, anyone have any rumors on whether OS X
will run without the Mac interface? Someone somewhere rumored that the Mac
interface is an application that can be quit, and the user is on the
command line. That could be very interesting.

--
Phil Stripling               | email to the replyto address is presumed

http://www.cieux.com/        | civex.com is read daily.

BSD for PPC

Post by Jeffrey Flower » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

MacOS X is based on a Mach kernal, just like Mklinux. The MacOS system is
just a app (or personality) on top of mach, just as NeXTSTEP was. I owned a
NeXTStation until a few months ago and I was able to avoid the NeXT
graphical interface just by editing a configuration file.

Also, has anyone heard of anyone installing OpenBSD on a Powermac?

Jeffrey Flowers

----------

>> >Does anybody know whether there is a version of BSD that actually runs
>> >on Macintosh machines and where one could obtain it?

>> There's no FreeBSD (and I don't think there are plans for a PPC port)
>>SNIP<

> Is OS X Server based on BSD? If so, anyone have any rumors on whether OS X
> will run without the Mac interface? Someone somewhere rumored that the Mac
> interface is an application that can be quit, and the user is on the
> command line. That could be very interesting.

> --
> Phil Stripling               | email to the replyto address is presumed

> http://www.cieux.com/        | civex.com is read daily.

BSD for PPC

Post by Aaron Rosenblu » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

There is a port to Mac-PPC of NetBSD.  It is in the early stages and
supports mainly the 72/75/76/85/86/95/9600 series of computers.  Check
out the NetBSD.org page for info.  I think now there is source code
snapshots but no official install.

--Aaron Rosenblum

BSD for PPC

Post by Rich Hal » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Does anybody know whether there is a version of BSD that actually runs
> on Macintosh machines and where one could obtain it?

If you're interested in a commercial product. MachTen from Tenon systems
is excellent, though a little expensive. It gives you BSD 4.4 in an
'application' you can run from with MacOS. Seems to have everything BSD
does: BSD sockets, X windows, etc. Comes with a complete development
environment for C, C++, Objective C, Java, ADA. Check it out at:

http://www.tenon.com

Sorry if that sounded like a commercial. Actually I prefer MkLinux, soon
to be using LinuxPPC. MachTen is great when I need both MacOS and UNIX
withoput the need to reboot. I don't mind BSD, but I'm more of a System
V guy, and work on SysV based Unices at work.

-Rich

BSD for PPC

Post by Philip Striplin » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Afaik the MACH microkernel, which OS X is based on, is not BSD based,
> but contains a complete BSD kernel for backwards compatibility.

I think that is what is confusing me -- not BSD but contains the kernel?
The kernel is just there in the release, but it is the Mach kernel running?
Sorry to be dense, but I'm not following what that means.

--
Phil Stripling               | email to the replyto address is presumed

http://www.cieux.com/        | civex.com is read daily.

BSD for PPC

Post by Philip Striplin » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > > Afaik the MACH microkernel, which OS X is based on, is not BSD based,
> > > but contains a complete BSD kernel for backwards compatibility.

> > I think that is what is confusing me -- not BSD but contains the kernel?
> > The kernel is just there in the release, but it is the Mach kernel running?
> > Sorry to be dense, but I'm not following what that means.

> As I said, I don't know for sure...

> Try to think of a compatibility subsystem, like WinOS/2 or the DOS mode
> in Windows NT.

Huh? Hey, I'm on a Mac, Mac. :->

--

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > >Does anybody know whether there is a version of BSD that actually runs
> > >on Macintosh machines and where one could obtain it?

> > There's no FreeBSD (and I don't think there are plans for a PPC port)
> >SNIP<

> Is OS X Server based on BSD? If so, anyone have any rumors on whether OS X
> will run without the Mac interface? Someone somewhere rumored that the Mac
> interface is an application that can be quit, and the user is on the
> command line. That could be very interesting.

Afaik the MACH microkernel, which OS X is based on, is not BSD based,
but contains a complete BSD kernel for backwards compatibility.

So OS X is not exactly BSD based, but it might be compatible.

--
Fan of Woody Allen
Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

BSD for PPC

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > Afaik the MACH microkernel, which OS X is based on, is not BSD based,
> > but contains a complete BSD kernel for backwards compatibility.

> I think that is what is confusing me -- not BSD but contains the kernel?
> The kernel is just there in the release, but it is the Mach kernel running?
> Sorry to be dense, but I'm not following what that means.

As I said, I don't know for sure...

Try to think of a compatibility subsystem, like WinOS/2 or the DOS mode
in Windows NT.

--
Fan of Woody Allen
Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

BSD for PPC

> > > I think that is what is confusing me -- not BSD but contains the
> > > kernel? The kernel is just there in the release, but it is the Mach
> > > kernel running? Sorry to be dense, but I'm not following what that
> > > means.

> > As I said, I don't know for sure...

> > Try to think of a compatibility subsystem, like WinOS/2 or the DOS mode
> > in Windows NT.

> Huh? Hey, I'm on a Mac, Mac. :->

Then try to think of MachTen or MagicMac. :-)

--
Fan of Woody Allen
Supporter of Pepperoni Pizza

BSD for PPC

Post by Tibor Pau » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > Is OS X Server based on BSD? If so, anyone have any rumors on whether OS X
> > will run without the Mac interface? Someone somewhere rumored that the Mac
> > interface is an application that can be quit, and the user is on the
> > command line. That could be very interesting.

> Afaik the MACH microkernel, which OS X is based on, is not BSD based,
> but contains a complete BSD kernel for backwards compatibility.

> So OS X is not exactly BSD based, but it might be compatible.

There is one kernel the Mach Microkernel. And on top of it runs a (in
Mach 3 terms) the so called BSD Mach server (IBM called the Mach server
once personality - in their OS/2 PowerPC port. It was Mach 3 based).

The Mach server maps BSD kernel APIs to Mach Kernel APIs, if the Mach
Kernel don't have APIs to satisfy the needs of the BSD APIs, then the
funtionality of these BSD APIs are implemented in the BSD Mach Server.

On top of the BSD Mach Server runs the normal BSD services. If you look
from the applications point of view, then MacOS X is a real BSD system.
It doesn't have a real BSD kernel, but for applications this doesn't
matter. It's like a onion, the innerst core is the Mach Kernel, the next
level is the BSD Mach Server, then comes the BSD services like routed, X
Server or Display PostScript and then comes applications.

1. BSD on PPC

Ok it has come to this, I'm sick and tired of Mac OS X due to personal
reasons, I want to put a BSD on my PowerBook G3, I could go with
darwin but I don't really want to. I was wondering if FreeBSD has ever
been ported to PPC (oh how I pray that it has been) but I can't find
anything about it at freebsd.org maybe I'm just not looking hard
enough, how about netbsd is that good?

I really would much rather run FreeBSD.

2. Any working combination of jdk and tomcat with stable

3. BSD, BSD or BSD?

4. network errors

5. Need Some Help!

6. setserial

7. Fixing Old PPC G3 with Latest Release of PPC Linux

8. Automatic reboot on PPC (was: Re: Two issues with 2.4.18pre3 on PPC)

9. Linux PPC with an Amiga PPC Board

10. PPC Linux doomed as Motorola End Dates PPC Line