I managed to install XFree86 4.0.1 successfully on my Lombard. It was a
bear, but I finally got almost everything working. I currently have this
weird bug going on, I still haven't found the solution to. Let me know
you if you run into it also after installation(I detailed my bug at the
Here are the two websites I used to get everything working:
Here are the steps in a netshell:
Once you untar the sources, you will delete the drivers that came with
the distribution. You will then rsync with with a server that has the
ppc drivers. Then the long process of compiling. (make, make install,
make install.man - Pretty much the order of compiling and installing. )
To get the video initialized properly, you will need to edit your
yaboot.conf file. The added line looks like this:
You really only need the video. The adb and hda additions are for added
features. You can checkout the websites for the details.
Here is my bug I mentioned earlier:
- When I added the append line to my yaboot.conf file, the problems
started. If I cold boot my Lombard, I will hang during boot up. I got
around this by booting up on a MacOS CD, then reboot to linuxppc on the
local drive( Yes, this is a major pain in the behind ). I think this is
a small price to pay compared to buying a new PB. I'm still on a hunt
for this solution.
> > Hello. I'm trying to install xfree86 4.0.1 on my g3 333 powerbook
> > (lombard). I've managed destroying my root filesystem three times.
> My new mantra: Use yaboot.