Linux on iMac

Post by walt moffe » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Although I have considerable Macintosh experience, I'm a complete novice
> with regard to Linux. I'm interested in getting the upcoming Release 5.0
> to run on an iMac. Linux will run on an iMac (266MHz version) won't it?
> Is 5.0 going to be an easy to install version, somewhat like the BeOS
> for PowerPC (ie) just partition the drive and it is relatively idiot
> proof? Or is it still going to be fairly complex and time consuming?
> I've heard from various sources that the developers of Linux are trying
> to make it easier to install and use in order to appeal to the masses,
> not just the techno experts. Finally, is there any firm release date for
> Linux 5.0?

> Thanks in advance for the information.

From what I've seen with 4.0 installation is fairly easy and painless since
it uses the redhat installer and about 20-30 minutes later you have a bootable
system.  Some things can be arcane to configure but this is improving.
Release date?  Poking around various places on the web leaves me the idea
that maybe
late February would be a good time to start breath holding practice but not
until.

BTW, slashdot.net had quick story on some one who installed redhat on a
intel box using just his nose on the keyboard.

Linux on iMac

Post by walt moffe » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > From what I've seen with 4.0 installation is fairly easy and painless since
> > it uses the redhat installer and about 20-30 minutes later you have a
bootable
> > system.  Some things can be arcane to configure but this is improving.
> > Release date?  Poking around various places on the web leaves me the idea
> > that maybe
> > late February would be a good time to start breath holding practice but not
> > until.

> What about MkLinux on an iMac? Has anyone successfully installed MkLinux 3.0?
> Apple's web site is a bit dated - the hardware support section hasn't
been updated
> in some time. Maybe that indicates that Apple really isn't all that
interested in
> MkLinux, and has ceded Linux PowerPC development to LinuxPPC. Or maybe not.

> Comments?

this url seems to be where the most recent info re: MkLinux kernels and so on:
http://globegate.utm.edu/MkLinux/ nary a word there about the imac.

my WAG sees Apple dropping MkLinux in flavor of Mac OS X with the RSN release
of the client flavor specifically for the imac.  However, the picture is
very cloudy about the future of MkLinux from looking over Apple's web
pages which include a success story of a web site using linuxppc. The same
folks who are
working on Yellow Dog Linux BTW.

Linux on iMac

Post by Mark Kaima » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> From what I've seen with 4.0 installation is fairly easy and painless since
> it uses the redhat installer and about 20-30 minutes later you have a bootable
> system.  Some things can be arcane to configure but this is improving.
> Release date?  Poking around various places on the web leaves me the idea
> that maybe
> late February would be a good time to start breath holding practice but not
> until.

What about MkLinux on an iMac? Has anyone successfully installed MkLinux 3.0?
Apple's web site is a bit dated - the hardware support section hasn't been updated
in some time. Maybe that indicates that Apple really isn't all that interested in
MkLinux, and has ceded Linux PowerPC development to LinuxPPC. Or maybe not.

Comments?

Linux on iMac

Post by Justin Ryan [PHT » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Mark - check out TL PPC (www.turbolinux.com) TL 3.0.1 PPC will be out in a
couple of weeks to a month, hopefully, and shown off at LinuxWorld Expo on
an iMac..
-Justin

Justin Ryan

Internet/Developer Relations Associate
Pacific HiTech / TurboLinux
http://www.turbolinux.com/

Quote:> Although I have considerable Macintosh experience, I'm a complete novice
> with regard to Linux. I'm interested in getting the upcoming Release 5.0
> to run on an iMac. Linux will run on an iMac (266MHz version) won't it?
> Is 5.0 going to be an easy to install version, somewhat like the BeOS
> for PowerPC (ie) just partition the drive and it is relatively idiot
> proof? Or is it still going to be fairly complex and time consuming?
> I've heard from various sources that the developers of Linux are trying
> to make it easier to install and use in order to appeal to the masses,
> not just the techno experts. Finally, is there any firm release date for
> Linux 5.0?

> Thanks in advance for the information.

Linux on iMac

Post by Joecro » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Personally, I find the iMac keyboard and mouse infuriating, as I have big
>hands.One reason to get a G3 desktop if you can afford to spend a little
>more
>is that they come with a full size keyboard and ADB mouse.

>And the installers work fine on the G3 desktops. :)

Actually, the Yosemites come with USB keyboards and mouse, just like the iMac.
The ADB aren't out for them yet.

Joe --Go ahead and E-mail me
Apple Lover, Programmer, Defender
http://surf.to/AppleCrow                ICQ#21629724

Linux on iMac

Post by Mark Kaima » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I bought an iMac to run games, music videos and other fun stuff, as well as
to learn Linux. I have a G3 desktop system with a large monitor and Extended
II keyboard that I intend to keep for "real" work. I dont hate the iMac
keyboard and mouse, but I wouldn't want to have to type for hours on it.
Still, for the money, it is an outstanding machine. Very fast, and I hope
that Linux 5.0 will take advantage of that.