Can I reformat an existing HFS partition to Linux format?

Can I reformat an existing HFS partition to Linux format?

Post by Migu » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello all-

I currently have my Mac's HD formatted into two partitions.  One is 2.8
Gigs, the other is 200 Megs.  I'm wondering if I can install LinuxPPC
(Lite) on the small partition without erasing my drive and re-doing the
partitions.

Is there a utility that will allow me to reformat the small partition into
Linux format without touching the other (large) partition?

Thanks!

MD

Post by walt moffe » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hello all-

> I currently have my Mac's HD formatted into two partitions.  One is 2.8
> Gigs, the other is 200 Megs.  I'm wondering if I can install LinuxPPC
> (Lite) on the small partition without erasing my drive and re-doing the
> partitions.

> Is there a utility that will allow me to reformat the small partition into
> Linux format without touching the other (large) partition?

> Thanks!

Would be a bit cramped but doable.  the install process calls fdisk which
you can use to zap the old parition and create your swap/root partitions.

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hello all-

> I currently have my Mac's HD formatted into two partitions.  One is 2.8
> Gigs, the other is 200 Megs.  I'm wondering if I can install LinuxPPC
> (Lite) on the small partition without erasing my drive and re-doing the
> partitions.

> Is there a utility that will allow me to reformat the small partition into
> Linux format without touching the other (large) partition?

Shouldn't be a problem. When you start installing Linux a program called
"fdisk" will ask you what to do about your hard disk. Try to change the
partition type of your small apple_hfs partition to apple_unix_svr2. If
that doesn't work, simply erase the small partition and create a new one
in its place with the right type (apple_unix_svr2).

YOu won't have to touch the other partition, even if you use FWB to
destroy the small partition.

Good luck!

--
Andrew J. Brehm
fan of Woody Allen

Post by Wulf Hofbaue » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Is there a utility that will allow me to reformat the small partition into
> Linux format without touching the other (large) partition?

About any partitioning tool should do the trick - even Apples old HD SC
setup does it (for SCSI disks) in a very obvious manner. Technically, it
isn't even necessary to repartition the disk - Linux doesn't have any
trouble using partitions labeled HFS (MacOS will however complain later,
however). Probably the best way is to install Linux on a HFS partition
and change the partition type from the Linux side with the pdisk
utility, so you won't need any MacOS-based tools. Be warned however that
it's easy to ruin other partitions if you do something wrong.

- Wulf