XFree86 4.0.2 -- Voodoo3 -- Beige G3 (am I getting close?)

XFree86 4.0.2 -- Voodoo3 -- Beige G3 (am I getting close?)

Post by Tehrasha Darko » Mon, 01 Oct 2001 18:16:14



Been hammering at this for the last couple days.
Resisted the urge to reinstall everything fresh and say forget it...

By carefully inching my way through the LinuxPPC 3dFX HOW-TO

<http://www.veryComputer.com/;

Using the precompiled 2.1.18-4h kernel and the precompiled RPMs of XFree86
4.02-1f, got my XF86Config-4 edited as perinstructions.. and I think I am
nearly there.

I ran into the X server 'respawn' and demoted it to runlevel 3.
When I attempt to startx I get this logfile

<http://www.veryComputer.com/;

A couple things I notice...

it lists      Operating System: Linux 2.4.2-1d ppc [ELF]
when dmesg log reports      Linux version 2.2.18-4hpmac

(WW) Cannot open APM  <== probably important

..

(EE) TDFX(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (4)
(WW) TDFX(0): Softbooting the board failed.

Anyone out there see anything familiar?
Or better yet, something strange?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

--Teh

--
My mailbox is NOT an adverti*t medium.     Tehrasha Darkon

Send me spam, lose your account.  Get it?        TINLC-1372

 
 
 

XFree86 4.0.2 -- Voodoo3 -- Beige G3 (am I getting close?)

Post by Michael Schmit » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:50:17



> it lists      Operating System: Linux 2.4.2-1d ppc [ELF]

That's what it was compiled on,

Quote:> when dmesg log reports      Linux version 2.2.18-4hpmac

That's what you're running.

Quote:> (WW) Cannot open APM  <== probably important

Use a recent 2.4 kernel. Probably doesn't matter though.

Quote:> (EE) TDFX(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (4)
> (WW) TDFX(0): Softbooting the board failed.

That's more critical; try adding UseFBDev to the options in the card
section (that's what helps a similar BIOS error for the Rage128 IIRC).

        Michael

 
 
 

XFree86 4.0.2 -- Voodoo3 -- Beige G3 (am I getting close?)

Post by Bob Brya » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 04:41:15


I am trying to get XFree86 4.0.2 to run on a B&W G3, and I have similar
messges in the XFree86 log file.
I installed YDL2.0 in order to get the later versions of rpm4, xfree4, and
glibc2.2. If you figure out how to get the X server to run, please let me
know.

Bob Bryan

> Been hammering at this for the last couple days.
> Resisted the urge to reinstall everything fresh and say forget it...

> By carefully inching my way through the LinuxPPC 3dFX HOW-TO

> <http://www.veryComputer.com/;

> Using the precompiled 2.1.18-4h kernel and the precompiled RPMs of XFree86
> 4.02-1f, got my XF86Config-4 edited as perinstructions.. and I think I am
> nearly there.

> I ran into the X server 'respawn' and demoted it to runlevel 3.
> When I attempt to startx I get this logfile

> <http://www.veryComputer.com/;

> A couple things I notice...

> it lists      Operating System: Linux 2.4.2-1d ppc [ELF]
> when dmesg log reports      Linux version 2.2.18-4hpmac

> (WW) Cannot open APM  <== probably important

> ..

> (EE) TDFX(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (4)
> (WW) TDFX(0): Softbooting the board failed.

> Anyone out there see anything familiar?
> Or better yet, something strange?

> Any and all help greatly appreciated.

> --Teh

> --
> My mailbox is NOT an adverti*t medium.     Tehrasha Darkon

> Send me spam, lose your account.  Get it?        TINLC-1372

 
 
 

1. XFree86 4.0 & Beige G3

I'm thinking about installing XFree86 4.0 on a Beige G3 (Rev.1) running
LinuxPPC 2K.  The only mention I've seen in the newsgroup is concerning
newer machines w/ R128 chips.  Can anyone comment on their experience
installing XFree86 4.0 on a Beige G3?  Can I use the r128 config file
that's included with Jack Howarth's RPM's without modification?

TIA,

Ken Quinn
RF Technical Specialist
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory

2. Argument parsing library?

3. Powerlogix G3 ZIP 466/233 on Beige G3 + LinuxPPC 99

4. STREAMS - PPP

5. nvidia xfree and quake, Am I getting close?

6. kernel compile error

7. Ok I am getting close

8. AHA2940 Not Detected !!

9. beige g3 and the damned white box

10. Suse 7.3 on beige G3 DT

11. Serial Port Problem on beige G3

12. Sound on beige G3-a/v?

13. video problem on beige G3 under debian