Root mounts read-only

Post by Jim Oro » Mon, 06 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm having a devil of time getting any verion of Linux working on
a Blue & White G3 (rev 1, 350Mhz).

My closest so far is with the latest Yellow Dog CDs.  The install
would hang or panic if I didn't unselect all of the optional packages,
but after doing that it finally installed successfully.  However it
always boots with the root read-only.  I can boot single-user Ok,
and do some minimal poking around, but that's about it.

I would most appreciate any ideas on how to fix this!

Thanks,
Jim Orosz

P.S.    With LinuxPPC R5 I get a panic while trying to mount /.
        Unfortunately I don't remember the exact details, and I can't
        check again as Yellow Dog is there now, but I don't care which
        one I run at this point, if I can get either to work!

1. trouble, root mounted read-only

I am having trouble booting my new 1.3.64 kernel from
a floppy.  The new kernel mounts my root partition (/ )
as a read-only partition.  All attempts at handling
the /etc/mtab, /etc/utmp, /etc/wtmp, files fail.  (They
are deleted, moved, and recreated by my init program.)

Everything works fine when I go back to my good old
kernel 1.2.8 .

kernel 1.3.64
gcc    2.7.2
libc   5.2.18
ld.so  1.7.14
binutils 2.6.0.2

Any comments or advice are greatly appreciated.  Post or

                thanks, bill e.g.

2. modems, Linux and self help

3. Root mounted Read Only

4. Preemptible linux kernel

5. Root mounted as read-only!

6. So, Linux is nowhere, eh?

7. VFS: mounted root read-only

8. kernel dumps when system crashes

9. How to mount root read-only and please e2fsck?

10. Slackware root floppy mounted read-only.

11. Root file system mounted read-only

12. hekp - root mounted as read-only doesn't allow logins...

13. HELP? Root partition mounts Read-Only SLS2.0