1. More newbie MkLinux questions ...
OK, I finally figured out how to display the time / date, as well as set
the time / date on MkLinux (date +%c to display, date -s"time and date
string" to set). I'm an NT developer by trade, so a lot of this setup
stuff is very new to me, but i'm diggin' it, I can see how powerful
Linux can be, in part 'cuz the granularity of things you can do is
smaller (I don't recall having the option of recompiling the NT kernel
However, i've still got questions:
1. locate / find -- can I have MkLinux automagically update this file
database, so locate / find _always_ work? I find it distressing that I
can find no functional equiv. to the old DOS "dir /s "funky file to look
for"" command. I mean, ls -R|grep "funky file to look for" does it,
but, like grep on NT, it only shows you the line, the directory it was
found in was on a different line. If I run updatedb, sometimes it works
and sometimes not (i.e. sometimes I can find new files I added after
running updatedb, sometimes not). What am I doing wrong?
2. Environment -- is there a TCL / TK / Perl / something script that
runs when you log in? I'd like to put set commands in there i.e. set
MOZILLA_HOME /opt/netscape. How do I do this? What is the name of the
script? What is it's secret? Who does it serve?
3. X settings -- AfterStep looks nowhere near as cool on my MkLinux DR3
7100/66 as it does on my uncles' 486/66. How do I set up color /
background / etc. prefs using FVWM? KDE does it via the GUI but wow, is
it s-l-o-w. FVWM is _so_ much faster.
4. Mach / server pair -- is there a later release of the Mach kernel /
Linux server pair? One I can easily install without recompiling
anything (i'm used to compiling C/C++ code at work on NT, but not on
MkLinux, and I figure i've got lots to learn before i'm comfy with that).
5. G3 upgrades -- I read on www.mklinux.org recently, something about G3
upgrade card support in the kernel / server / something. I've another
Mac (6100/60) that I put a Sonnet G3 card in. It rocks ... I use the
6100 for music production, the idea is to not use it for anything else
i.e. use the 7100/66 Mklinux box to do everything not music related
(internet, email, etc.) I'd like to get a Sonnet / Newer card for the
7100 as well eventually, and if I don't need to muck with extension
typing (i.e. if MkLinux supports G3 upgrade cards itself without the
need for the MacOS extension) that would rock ...
I _do_ appreciate all the help here ... I really do!
John Michael Zorko
2. intrustion detection
3. Newbie Question: MkLinux, Apache, and Procmail
4. Glibc question....
5. Newbie Questions?MKLinux & web browsers...
6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]
7. Newbie Question: MkLinux vs LinuxPPC?
8. How to position a 4mm tape?
9. MkLinux newbie Memory question.
10. MKLinux newbie with questions!
11. Newbie questions for MkLinux R1!
12. Newbie MKLinux install question.
13. mklinux newbie install question