new powerbook g4

Post by Steve Kraeme » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 04:21:49

anyone got one of these and tried to install linux on it??

new powerbook g4

Post by Guillaume Rinc » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 05:03:05

wrote on 17/01/01 20:21:

Quote:> anyone got one of these and tried to install linux on it??

According to www.linuxppc.com, you can boot linux on it. They say the
hardware is quite similar to G4 cube.

new powerbook g4

looks like I might be buying myself a new toy

Post by Roland Seuh » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:03:38

> looks like I might be buying myself a new toy

Please post in BIG LETTERS how it worked out on this NG!

Oh, my, why did I buy a Pismo in August?....

;-)

Roland();

new powerbook g4

Post by secret asIAN ma » Mon, 22 Jan 2001 05:14:29

Same here, except Apple's hedging on the ship time for up to a month.
Looking forward to trying out Linux on a Mac for the first time. =) (I have
a PowerBook 1400cs, but it's my only lifeline to the Net while I'm on the
road at the moment so I'm not too keen on tinkering with it... What
distributions would work on a 1400 anyway?)

Ian (secret asIAN man, not the one on Slashdot, aka "The Ian Road Show")

Quote:> looks like I might be buying myself a new toy

new powerbook g4

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:07:20

> Same here, except Apple's hedging on the ship time for up to a month.
> Looking forward to trying out Linux on a Mac for the first time. =) (I have
> a PowerBook 1400cs, but it's my only lifeline to the Net while I'm on the
> road at the moment so I'm not too keen on tinkering with it... What
> distributions would work on a 1400 anyway?)

MkLinux is your only choice on the PB1400.

new powerbook g4

Post by Charles Fult » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:35:02

Quote:> Same here, except Apple's hedging on the ship time for up to a month.
> Looking forward to trying out Linux on a Mac for the first time. =) (I have
> a PowerBook 1400cs, but it's my only lifeline to the Net while I'm on the
> road at the moment so I'm not too keen on tinkering with it... What
> distributions would work on a 1400 anyway?)

The PB 1400 series will run MkLinux (www.mklinux.org), however,
aparently their are some 'pitfalls' that you need to be aware of
before installation:
http://lppcfom.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/593.html

Should run quite nicely too, if you have a respectable amout of RAM (32MB or
more).

Charles Fultz
fultz

1. YDL 2.2 on new Powerbook G4 w/ ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

Hi,
I'm new to this newsgroup being I just purchased a new 667mhz Apple
Powerbook G4 (M8591LL/A) with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 32mb graphics
card. I was able to install YDL2.2 for the most part, but I'm haveing
problems getting KDE up in anything other than 8bit mode. Has anyone had any
luck with any of the PPC distros and the new powerbooks? Thanks in advance
for any help you can send my way.

nicman

2. module auth_ldap_module is built-in and can't be loaded

3. Distro for a new Powerbook G4

4. SunOS4.1 and dynamic linking (dlopen: stub interception failed?)

5. What distro will work on a new G4 Powerbook?

6. Professional and Affordable Web Design and Hosting

7. cannot install yaboot on new G4 powerbook

8. Quota on Raid1?

9. Sleeping mode on Powerbook G4

10. powerbook g4

11. Is LinuxPPC on a PowerBook G4 any good?

12. How do I get PCMCIA working on PowerBook G4 500?

13. Powerbook G4 + XFree4.0.2 = 3D acceleration ???