linuxppc on NuBus Mac?

Post by Lee Green MD M » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'd like to run linux on a PowerMac 8100.  The faq-o-matic has a list of
compatibility issues which states that the NuBus Macs are only supported
by mklinux, not by linuxppc.  The linuxppc home page has a more recent
update date, and says "almost all PowerMacs are now supported".  It's not
clear to me whether that is still limited to PCI-bus machines or now
includes NuBus platforms as well.  Anyone know whether it does?  I'd
prefer linuxppc if I can run it.  TIA -Lee

--
Lee Green MD MPH          Disclaimer: My postings are my doing, not
Family Practice           a service of nor in any way the

Delete the Z from my e-mail address, it's just there to foil spambots.

PGP public key on MIT keyserver
Verisign public key available from Verisign, Inc.

linuxppc on NuBus Mac?

Post by Remco Pos » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I'd like to run linux on a PowerMac 8100.  The faq-o-matic has a list of
> compatibility issues which states that the NuBus Macs are only supported
> by mklinux, not by linuxppc.  The linuxppc home page has a more recent
> update date, and says "almost all PowerMacs are now supported".  It's not
> clear to me whether that is still limited to PCI-bus machines or now
> includes NuBus platforms as well.  Anyone know whether it does?  I'd
> prefer linuxppc if I can run it.  TIA -Lee

At this time, NuBus PowerMac's are NOT supported. They may be in the
future,
but I don't think there is anybody working on the project (there is no
project)
so that might tak a long while ...

Remco
--

linuxppc on NuBus Mac?

Post by Tom Harringt » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: I'd like to run linux on a PowerMac 8100.  The faq-o-matic has a list of
: compatibility issues which states that the NuBus Macs are only supported
: by mklinux, not by linuxppc.  The linuxppc home page has a more recent
: update date, and says "almost all PowerMacs are now supported".  It's not
: clear to me whether that is still limited to PCI-bus machines or now
: includes NuBus platforms as well.  Anyone know whether it does?  I'd
: prefer linuxppc if I can run it.  TIA -Lee

It's still PCI-only.  Almost all PowerMacs are supported, because
almost all PowerMacs are PCI-based systems.  The only exceptions
are the 61xx series, the 7100, and the 8100.  MkLinux is your
only option.

--

   "Necessity is the plea of every infringement of human freedom.  It is
   the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt

linuxppc on NuBus Mac?

Post by Geert Uytterhoeve » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> : I'd like to run linux on a PowerMac 8100.  The faq-o-matic has a list of
> : compatibility issues which states that the NuBus Macs are only supported
> : by mklinux, not by linuxppc.  The linuxppc home page has a more recent
> : update date, and says "almost all PowerMacs are now supported".  It's not
> : clear to me whether that is still limited to PCI-bus machines or now
> : includes NuBus platforms as well.  Anyone know whether it does?  I'd
> : prefer linuxppc if I can run it.  TIA -Lee

> It's still PCI-only.  Almost all PowerMacs are supported, because
> almost all PowerMacs are PCI-based systems.  The only exceptions
> are the 61xx series, the 7100, and the 8100.  MkLinux is your
> only option.

Being in an Open Source newsgroup, there _is_ another option: add support for
NuBus to Linux/PPC. Linux/m68k already supports NuBus.

Greetings,

                                                Geert

--

Wavelets, Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP}  http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/

linuxppc on NuBus Mac?

Post by Jan Nieuwenhuiz » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980630103521.29044G-100000

Quote:>> It's still PCI-only.  Almost all PowerMacs are supported, because
>> almost all PowerMacs are PCI-based systems.  The only exceptions
>> are the 61xx series, the 7100, and the 8100.  MkLinux is your
>> only option.

>Being in an Open Source newsgroup, there _is_ another option: add support for
>NuBus to Linux/PPC. Linux/m68k already supports NuBus.

Yes, of course.  It sounds fairly easy too: source is already available...

I would like to know from a linux/ppc kernel hacker though, if there's a
special reason why this hasn't been done yet, or what one might expect.

I'm thinking of buying an 8100 (nubus) mac, but rather to speed-up
development (see sig), not to become a full-time kernel-hacker.

Greetings,

Jan.

http://www.digicash.com/~jan         | http://www.digicash.com/~jan/lilypond

1. LinuxPPC and NuBus Macs...

Hello,

   I was wondering if anyone has thought about making LinuxPPC work with
the NuBus Macs now that we have BootX?  I haven't personally looked at the
kernel code too in depth to know what may be involved, but I think that
since BootX can work with MkLinux, having BootX feed LinuxPPC the needed
info to work on a NuBus Mac wouldn't be too much effort.

   The reason that I am suggesting this is because of the added speed
benefit of not having the Mach kernel would be kinda nice on the older
boxen.  I am also asking this because I can probally get a G1 ;) Mac
pretty cheap and it would be pretty nice to hack around on it.

dennis

2. Q: Selective updating within FTP?

3. LinuxPPC on NuBus Macs?

4. Converting 4.x automounter maps to 5.x

5. LinuxPPC and PB1400s (FW: from nubus-LinuxPPC list)

6. Linux & 40Gb hard drive..

7. nubus Kernel in LinuxPPC 2000

8. WindowMaker...

9. LinuxPPC on NuBus PowerMacs?

10. LinuxPPC on NuBus machines?

11. Porting LinuxPPC to NuBus PowerMacs?

12. Linux-PPC on Nubus Power Mac?

13. MKLInux on NuBus Macs