/dev/nvram How doi I get a valid device

Post by Mark Dak » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello All,

I have just managed to get LinuxPPc onto my StarMax 3000 onto
my internal drive.

After much trouble I can now boot linux every time.
My only problem is that I can not switch back.  The macos command
fails.  It complains about the /dev/nvram device not being there or
something like that.

I have tried to do a MAKEDEV but it does not regenerate the devices.

Does anyone out there know how to do this?  Or Fix this?

Mark Daku

Post by Jason » Sun, 01 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I have just managed to get LinuxPPc onto my StarMax 3000 onto
>my internal drive.
>After much trouble I can now boot linux every time.
>My only problem is that I can not switch back.  The macos command
>fails.  It complains about the /dev/nvram device not being there or
>something like that.
>I have tried to do a MAKEDEV but it does not regenerate the devices.
>Does anyone out there know how to do this?  Or Fix this?

Should be 'mknod /dev/nvram c 1 10' (IIRC) for 2.1.24

Post by Mark Dak » Sun, 01 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> >I have just managed to get LinuxPPc onto my StarMax 3000 onto
> >my internal drive.

> >After much trouble I can now boot linux every time.
> >My only problem is that I can not switch back.  The macos command
> >fails.  It complains about the /dev/nvram device not being there or
> >something like that.

> >I have tried to do a MAKEDEV but it does not regenerate the devices.

> >Does anyone out there know how to do this?  Or Fix this?

> Should be 'mknod /dev/nvram c 1 10' (IIRC) for 2.1.24

I tried this but no luck.  It still screams about not being able to open
ornot being able to find /dev/nvram.  Would this be a Kernal problem?

I'm using kernal 2.1.79 from ftp.linuxppc.org

Mark Daku

/dev/nvram How doi I get a valid device

Post by Jason » Sun, 01 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>> >I have just managed to get LinuxPPc onto my StarMax 3000 onto
>> >my internal drive.
>> >After much trouble I can now boot linux every time.
>> >My only problem is that I can not switch back.  The macos command
>> >fails.  It complains about the /dev/nvram device not being there or
>> >something like that.
>> >I have tried to do a MAKEDEV but it does not regenerate the devices.
>> >Does anyone out there know how to do this?  Or Fix this?
>> Should be 'mknod /dev/nvram c 1 10' (IIRC) for 2.1.24
>I tried this but no luck.  It still screams about not being able to open
>ornot being able to find /dev/nvram.  Would this be a Kernal problem?
>I'm using kernal 2.1.79 from ftp.linuxppc.org

The device numbers may have changed in the newer kernels.  You might
try 10 144 - I've seen this mentioned as /dev/nvram numbers.  Otherwise,
I can't help you.

/dev/nvram How doi I get a valid device

Post by Mark Dak » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >> >I have just managed to get LinuxPPc onto my StarMax 3000 onto

> or

> devices.

> >> Should be 'mknod /dev/nvram c 1 10' (IIRC) for 2.1.24

> >I tried this but no luck.  It still screams about not being able to
> open
> >ornot being able to find /dev/nvram.  Would this be a Kernal problem?

> >I'm using kernal 2.1.79 from ftp.linuxppc.org

> The device numbers may have changed in the newer kernels.  You might
> try 10 144 - I've seen this mentioned as /dev/nvram numbers.
> Otherwise,
> I can't help you.

Thanks I'll give that a shot as well.

I'll let the group know my success in this thread.

Mark Daku

/dev/nvram How doi I get a valid device

Post by Mark Dak » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> > >> >I have tried to do a MAKEDEV but it does not regenerate the
> > devices.

> > >I tried this but no luck.  It still screams about not being able to

> > open
> > >ornot being able to find /dev/nvram.  Would this be a Kernal
> problem?

> > >I'm using kernal 2.1.79 from ftp.linuxppc.org

> > The device numbers may have changed in the newer kernels.  You might

> > try 10 144 - I've seen this mentioned as /dev/nvram numbers.
> > Otherwise,
> > I can't help you.

> Thanks I'll give that a shot as well.

> I'll let the group know my success in this thread.

Yep that was it.

In summary:
The device /dev/nvram should have the numbers 10 144 for the vmlinux
kernal 2.1.79.
Thus during the install phase after it sets the boot-device drop down to
the prompt
with <command>-<F2> and rm the /mnt/dev/nvram device and replace it.  To
replace
it type the following command.
mknod /mnt/dev/nvram c 10 144

Also make sure that you have the modules.tgz file that corisponds to the
2.1.79 kernal.
I simple extracted it into /lib/modules.  I then got a new director
called /mnt/lib/modules/2.1.79
this directory now contains the proper modules for the kernal.

After instalation and reboot the following items are now modified.
/dev/nvram
vmlinux
/lib/modules/2.1.79/

Once all of these are updated you can run linux properly on a StarMax
3000 series computer.

Good Luck Kids
Mark Daku

1. /dev/sda4 not a valid block device?

I'm trying to mount a parallel port zip drive.

insmod parport
insmod ppa

appear to work correctly, the drive even grunts once or twice.

mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /zipdrive

produces the error in the subject line.  Any suggestions?

This is on a Red Hat 6.0 system running the provided 2.2.5-15smp
kernel.  Thanks.

--
Phil Geiger

2. Installing TurboLinux onto a SCSI machine

3. Please help... mount: /dev/cdrom1 is not a valid block device

4. VPN with Solaris 10

5. Help: /dev/sdc6 is not a valid block device

6. Cant Fix Zip Drive

7. /dev/fd0 "not a valid block device" ???

8. Mach 64 & X

9. /dev/cdrom not a valid block device..Huh!?

10. /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

11. CD-ROM: mount: /dev/mcd is not a valid block device

12. YDL 2.2 /dev/cdrom not a valid block device

13. dev/fd0H1440 not a valid device..