Problems with sending mail (kmail and netscape) [551 we do not support relaying}

Problems with sending mail (kmail and netscape) [551 we do not support relaying}

Post by Michael Stor » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Here's the error:

551 we do not support relaying

What is going on?  I'm using the same server names I use on all my mac and
Windoze apps, but all linux apps have troble sending.  I'm sure I'm overlooking
one simple thing.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Post by Richard S. Lumpki » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Here's the error:

> 551 we do not support relaying

> What is going on?  I'm using the same server names I use on all my mac and
> Windoze apps, but all linux apps have troble sending.  I'm sure I'm overlooking
> one simple thing.

It's not anything to do with Linux, other than you are running sendmail
on a Linux box.  You have to configure sendmail on your server to permit
each machine to "relay".  For example my desktop machine blinky sends
mail out through the sendmail server chromophore (an OpenBSD machine in
fact).  Before I configured sendmail in chromophore to accept relay from
blinky, I got the same message.  The same is true for each and every
machine you try to use your mail server to relay for.

This is an antispam feature.  The options are to set up your sendmail
configuration correctly for each machine you care to relay for
(including itself) or reconfigure sendmail to be a promiscious relay
(and expect hate mail from those who you relay spam to).  I cann give
you the details of the configuration as they differ for different
versions of sendmail.  Determine your version number then look for the
details at:

http://www.sendmail.org

Richard S. Lumpkin, Ph.D.                            Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry                                     256-890-6365
University of Alabama in Huntsville                     fax 256-890-6349
Huntsville, AL 35899                          http://chromophore.uah.edu

Post by Donn Ca » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

|> Here's the error:
|>
|> 551 we do not support relaying
|>
|> What is going on?  I'm using the same server names I use on all my mac and
|> Windoze apps, but all linux apps have troble sending.  I'm sure I'm overlooking
|> one simple thing.
|
| It's not anything to do with Linux, other than you are running sendmail
| on a Linux box.  You have to configure sendmail on your server to permit
| each machine to "relay".  For example my desktop machine blinky sends
| mail out through the sendmail server chromophore (an OpenBSD machine in
| fact).  Before I configured sendmail in chromophore to accept relay from
| blinky, I got the same message.  The same is true for each and every
| machine you try to use your mail server to relay for.

I assumed he had previously enjoyed success with this same computer,
same IP, under MacOS.  If it's a new computer, you're probably right,
but if it's the same one, there is indeed probably something wrong
with his Linux configuration.  His post came from ``localhost.local.domain''
or something like that.  He may have intended to use the same IP address
as MacOS, but by error didn't, for example.

| This is an antispam feature.  The options are to set up your sendmail
| configuration correctly for each machine you care to relay for
| (including itself) or reconfigure sendmail to be a promiscious relay
| (and expect hate mail from those who you relay spam to).

Or allow any mail forwarding where either the sender or recipient are
within the institutional DNS domain.  If he's going through a campus
or ISP SMTP host, that's more likely.  Either way, the IP address has to
look up to the correct DNS address for this to work.

1. Can not send mail, relaying denied

I'm running Red Hat 7.2 and I use mutt as my email client.  I've
configured sendmail to relay through my Internet Service Provider, but
sometimes the email I try to send bounces back with a relaying denied
message.

How can I work around this?  I would like to continue to use mutt for
sending email, but I don't think it can be configured to contact my
ISP's SMTP server in order to send mail.  Should I be using something
else other than sendmail such a null mailer?

--
Cory Phillips

(remove hyphens)

2. FTP server shut down!!

3. KMail not sending mail, but response is ok

4. ALSA update [6/10] - 2002/07/20

5. Send Mail Relay Problem.

6. samba 1.9.18p3 on 2.0.30

7. kmail mail not in ~/Mail

8. mark_buffer_dirty() speedup

9. netscape mail send but not receives

10. Netscape sending out mail with GMT, not local time

11. netscape mail send but not receives (text-mode)

12. Boot fail with LED 551

13. Macsense FE-551 aka Realtek 8139