LinuxPPC won't boot on 6400

Post by Bob Dorenfe » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Ok, I've scoured all the FAQs and news archives for tips, and am drawing blanks.

Have successfully installed LinuxPPC from the 1998 CD on the IDE hard
drive of a 6400, partitions 6 and 7, after partition 5 which is the MacOS.

It won't boot.

Here are all of the OF 2.0 combinations I have tried, mix-and-match;
always results in "Claim failed" or "can't find VMLINUX".

boot-device
boot-file

root=/dev/hda6

input-device                    output-device                        load-base
kbd                                     screen                         0x4000
ttya                                    ttya                           0x100000
ttyb                                    ttyb

Some say they've been able to boot on the 6400 using these variables in
certain combinations.

Any ideas, hints, something I've overlooked?  Does Linux need to be *first
bootable* partition?

--
_______Bob__________
of course, remove NO SPAM from address when replying.

LinuxPPC won't boot on 6400

Post by Heinz Nabiele » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Ok, I've scoured all the FAQs and news archives for tips, and am drawing blanks.

> Have successfully installed LinuxPPC from the 1998 CD on the IDE hard
> drive of a 6400, partitions 6 and 7, after partition 5 which is the MacOS.

> It won't boot.

> Here are all of the OF 2.0 combinations I have tried, mix-and-match;
> always results in "Claim failed" or "can't find VMLINUX".

> boot-device
> boot-file

> root=/dev/hda6

> input-device                    output-device                        load-base
> kbd                                     screen                         0x4000
> ttya                                    ttya                           0x100000
> ttyb                                    ttyb

> Some say they've been able to boot on the 6400 using these variables in
> certain combinations.

> Any ideas, hints, something I've overlooked?  Does Linux need to be *first
> bootable* partition?

On my 6400/200, the only way is to boot from the floppy, i.e.
boot fd:vmlinux.coff
Heinz

LinuxPPC won't boot on 6400

Post by Stephane M. Morva » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

On a 6360, this works for me:

(your bootable partition is partition #5).

ALSO:

set load-base to something like 60,000 if you get weird colors, and
make sure you used quik to make your paritition bootable. Don't set
your output-device to anything but its default value, I got CLAIM FAILED
when I did had output-device set to screen.

Stephane Morvan

This email adress can not be used for unsollicited, unrelevant junk
emails.
Remove whatever you think is odd in my email address to respond....

*      Clemson Design Methodology Group                 *
*                                                       *
* WWW   : http://www.eng.clemson.edu/~smorvan           *
* IVECS homepage: http://design.vr.clemson.edu/ivecs/   *
*                                                       *

LinuxPPC won't boot on 6400

Post by Shawn D » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm having some problems with running X Windows and the shell in high
resolution.  I'm running a PowerMac G3/233 Desktop with an Apple
AppleVision 1710AV monitor and using the built-in graphics (ATI RAGE ll)
with 6MB of VRAM.  I'm booting Linux-PMac off a floppy (vmlinux.coff) and
using the RedHat 4.2 Distribution with Kernel 2.1.86.  Apparently that's
the only kernel which will allow G3's to run X Windows.

I used vmode as someone suggested earlier and tried to set the monitor to

(vmode 18 24) the shell kind of shrinks to 2/3 of the monitor while the
other 1/3 remains green (syncs on green).  Setting the resolution to
1280x1024 makes the green part even bigger.  Setting the monitor to

shell but X Windows kind of turns into a wierd colors and I can't see
much.

it's the common denominator to both the shell and X.  I'd like to able to
go to higher resolution and bit depth.  Is there a way to get vmode to
address other frequencies at one certain resolution, such as 1152x870 at
60hz, 70hz, 72hz, 75hz and others.  The man page says there is only one
setting for 1152x870 (vmode 18).  Is there a newer version of this
utility?  Can anyone tell me how to use/invoke 'nvvideo'?

Two other problems are the fact that if I reboot the system, it doesn't
keep my resolution/bit depth settings and everytime I exit X Windows, the
sell reverses it's colors.  That is, I get white background and black
text.  I'm not an experienced Linux user, so please bear with me, but
could someone help me out and give me some direction?  Thanx.  :-)

Shawn Dehkhodaei

LinuxPPC won't boot on 6400

Post by Jason » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>I'm having some problems with running X Windows and the shell in high
>resolution.  I'm running a PowerMac G3/233 Desktop with an Apple
>AppleVision 1710AV monitor and using the built-in graphics (ATI RAGE ll)
>with 6MB of VRAM.  I'm booting Linux-PMac off a floppy (vmlinux.coff) and
>using the RedHat 4.2 Distribution with Kernel 2.1.86.  Apparently that's
>the only kernel which will allow G3's to run X Windows.
>I used vmode as someone suggested earlier and tried to set the monitor to

>(vmode 18 24) the shell kind of shrinks to 2/3 of the monitor while the
>other 1/3 remains green (syncs on green).  Setting the resolution to
>1280x1024 makes the green part even bigger.  Setting the monitor to

>shell but X Windows kind of turns into a wierd colors and I can't see
>much.

Check out Anthony Tong's website for an X server that should fix your
16-bit problems (http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~atong/)

>it's the common denominator to both the shell and X.  I'd like to able to
>go to higher resolution and bit depth.  Is there a way to get vmode to
>address other frequencies at one certain resolution, such as 1152x870 at
>60hz, 70hz, 72hz, 75hz and others.  The man page says there is only one
>setting for 1152x870 (vmode 18).  Is there a newer version of this
>utility?  Can anyone tell me how to use/invoke 'nvvideo'?

The only thing that nvvideo does is write your indicated vmode and colormode
into nvram, so that (some of the) drivers can use it upon boot.  It won't fix
your problem with certain vmodes - that's a kernel issue.   Be patient - these
are new machines and the developers often have to reverse-engineer the Apple
hardware in order to develop drivers.

Quote:>Two other problems are the fact that if I reboot the system, it doesn't
>keep my resolution/bit depth settings and everytime I exit X Windows, the
>sell reverses it's colors.  That is, I get white background and black
>text.  I'm not an experienced Linux user, so please bear with me, but
>could someone help me out and give me some direction?  Thanx.  :-)

The quick fix to the reverse screen problem is to switch to another
virtual console and back.  If you want to save certain settings for
reboot, use 'nvvideo video-mode x' and 'nvvideo color-mode y', where x
and y are your favored modes.

LinuxPPC won't boot on 6400

Post by anthony to » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm having some problems with running X Windows and the shell in high
>resolution.  I'm running a PowerMac G3/233 Desktop with an Apple
>AppleVision 1710AV monitor and using the built-in graphics (ATI RAGE ll)
>with 6MB of VRAM.  I'm booting Linux-PMac off a floppy (vmlinux.coff) and
>using the RedHat 4.2 Distribution with Kernel 2.1.86.  Apparently that's
>the only kernel which will allow G3's to run X Windows.

The new 2.1.24 kernel should work fine now.

>1280x1024 makes the green part even bigger.  Setting the monitor to

>shell but X Windows kind of turns into a wierd colors and I can't see
>much.

Grab my modified Xservers.

>it's the common denominator to both the shell and X.  I'd like to able to
>go to higher resolution and bit depth.  Is there a way to get vmode to
>address other frequencies at one certain resolution, such as 1152x870 at

I wrote support for your type of ati card on my friends machine, and his
monitor couldn't do > 1024 so naturally, there isn't support for it yet.
Stay tuned, I think I'm going to use my monitor..

--
anthony tong -> http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~atong PGP key avail
 "Let's make a symphony of a thousand smiles

1. Boot problems with LinuxPPC and 6400/180

Hello,

    I am trying to get the install of linuxPPC to work on my 6400/180.  Here
is the system config

Performa 6400/180

136 MB Real RAM
External Modem
CD Rom
Nothing on the external SCSI

I can only seem to get the machine to boot from floppy.  Anytime I have
tried to boot from the drive, it just will not work.  I've tried everything
from setting it to boot off the internal SCSI Which just gives me nothing at
all.  Just sits there.

Setting it to IDE is a little different.

At First, my IDE was set to a 1.6 GB HFS partition.  The SCSI drive was
partitioned to 8 partitions there was a: 1.6 GB HFS, 1 GB BFS (Be File
System), A/UX root (linuxPPC) sda5, A/UX root (mklinux)sda6, A/UX Usr sda7,
and A/UX swap sda8.  I placed the vmlinux onto my IDE HFS partition at hda5.
 Set boot variables to

boot-file /vmlinux root=/dev/sda5
load-base 100000 (even 10000 or 1000000)

upon rebooting, i get the first chime then a screen that says "Cannot Open:
/vmlinux"

I went back and changed my IDE so that it had a 250 MB root partition and
the rest was HFS.  (hda5 hda6) placed a vmlinux in the hda6 HFS partition,
and set my boot variables to:

boot-file /vmlinux root=/dev/hda5
load-base 100000 (even 10000 or 1000000)

I got this error "Cannot find a bootable HFS Partition."

Can someone give me some insight?  I've read ever FAQ out there and have
exhasted my resources and patience.  Can you tell me exactly what
boot-device does and what boot-file does?  Just so I am clear on it.

NOTE:  linuxppc only works from floppy.  However, I cannot seem to use my
Twin Turbo Card at all even if I update the vmlinux to the twin turbo
version.  It still send video to the onboard which uses 1 MB soldered VRAM
that makes it impossible to view anything on my 17" monitor. I am hoping
that by booting from the vmlinux on the drive it will go straight to the
card like i asked it to.  I've set OF so that output-device is:

vmlinux.coff thus why i am trying to get away from the floppy business.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

-j

2. Realtime Disk I/O, how?

3. Booting linuxppc on 6400 from zip drive?

4. Video Out Signal, which card?

5. Mount point - Install LinuxPPC (Performa 6400)

6. test

7. Network connections with LinuxPPC R4.1 on a Performa 6400

8. How to test for mutually exclusive options using getopts (in shell)

9. Help! LinuxPPC & Crescendo Card on 6400.

10. LinuxPPC in Performa 6400, anyone?

11. LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 installation on Performa 6400

12. Performa 6400: LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 install issues

13. LinuxPPC 2000 Color problems on 6400