YDL vs. Mandrake on a Beige G3? Install problems w/ both

YDL vs. Mandrake on a Beige G3? Install problems w/ both

Post by John Roch » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 12:04:16

ANy one have a pref for complete newbie? I've had problems installing both.
YDL won't recognize my liteon CDRW, Mandrake will but produces tons of
errors upon installing packages. Anything I should be aware of regarding the
beige g3? Does the HD have to be on the main or can it be on the secondary
set to master w/ CDRW set to slave?

Do you suggest getting the pre-packaged intstall disks? Not sure how they
would differ from my downloaded iso's.

Also can any one comment on speed of YDL or Mandrake vs. OS 9.x?

thanks,

john

Post by Rick » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:23:03

> ANy one have a pref for complete newbie? I've had problems installing
> both. YDL won't recognize my liteon CDRW,

You really should include type (USB, IDE, SCSI) and Make/Model of your
CDRW.

Quote:> Mandrake will but produces
> tons of errors upon installing packages. Anything I should be aware of
> regarding the beige g3? Does the HD have to be on the main or can it be
> on the secondary set to master w/ CDRW set to slave?

On a Beige G3, the HD and CDROM should be on separate channels. Is your
CDRW internal, external, and on which bus?

Quote:

> Do you suggest getting the pre-packaged intstall disks? Not sure how
> they would differ from my downloaded iso's.

If you buy YDL's pre-packaged disks, you will get the source CD and Tasty
morsels CD. While you can DL the packages from these CDs, ISOs aren't
available.

Quote:

> Also can any one comment on speed of YDL or Mandrake vs. OS 9.x?

In my experience, YDL 2.1 is about the same speed as 9.x and faster than
OS X 10.1 on a 266 mhz Beige G3.

--
Rick

Post by Angela Kahealan » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:55:52

> If you buy YDL's pre-packaged disks, you will get the source CD and Tasty
> morsels CD. While you can DL the packages from these CDs, ISOs aren't
> available.

ISO? what does that Acronym expand into in Enlgaise?

--
Copyright 2002 Angela Kahealani. All Rights Reserved Without
Prejudice, UCC 1-207. All information and transactions are

Post by John Stuar » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:23:54

>> If you buy YDL's pre-packaged disks, you will get the source CD and Tasty
>> morsels CD. While you can DL the packages from these CDs, ISOs aren't
>> available.

> ISO? what does that Acronym expand into in Enlgaise?

It's short for ISO-9660, the standard for CD data filesystem and format. If
you were to read any CD in raw format, the result would be (what has become
known as) an ISO image.

1. YDL, OS X, and OS 9 on G3 beige desktop; can it be done?

Hi all,

I just purchased YDL and wish to have a triple boot system on my G3
Beige Desktop. OS X requires its installation to be on the first
partition but I seem to be having difficulty installing YDL. I have
installed BootX and I can get to the installation process from the YDL
CD but it indicates that it cannot read the partition table. It then
proceeds and appears as if it is going to take me to the GUI to
install but indicates it cannot import GLIBC_2.2.3.

I have partitioned as follows:

8GB HFS+ for OS X
1 GB HFS+
8 GB HFS+ for OS 9
14 GB HFS +
8 GB Unallocated for YDL

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed

2. USB storage help? (Trek ThumbDrive, MP3 players, etc.)

3. Beige PowerPC G3 and YDL 2.3

4. iterating through files with "for f in *"

5. Continued sound weirdness with Beige G3 and YDL

6. 56k CSU/DSU

7. Debian, Mandrake, SUSE, or Yellow Dog on a G3 Beige?

8. Anyone got a Mylex DCE376 working under linux?

9. Install Problems on Beige G3 233mhz

10. Problems installing on Beige G3

11. linuxppc vs beige g3 and rage orion

12. Powerlogix G3 ZIP 466/233 on Beige G3 + LinuxPPC 99

13. cdparanoia vs beige g3