Some MkLinux questions

Post by Jeffrey S. Dutk » Sat, 11 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>    I hope this is an appropriate newsgroup for asking
> questions about MkLinux.  Anyway, I'm running DR 2.1
> update 6 on a Umax S900.  Next week I'm going to replace
> my processor with a Powerlogix PowerForce card and I'm
> wondering if my current MkLinux installation will work
> with the PPC  750 processor.

Actually, this is not the right group. You should be posting
to comp.os.linux.powerpc, this group is more for discussion
of MacOS issues. I doubt, however, if anyone minds terribly
much. For MkLinux compatability informatoin you shoulc check
the MkLinux web page <http://www.mklinux.apple.com> and see
what they list as compatible hardware.

Having said that, however, I just checked the MkLinux web
page and the hardware page lists the G3 desktop and mini-
tower as known working machines. Nothing is said, on either
the know-to-work or the known-not-to-work lists, about any
G3 upgrade cards, however.

- Jeff Dutky

Some MkLinux questions

Post by Scott & Pat » Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> >    I hope this is an appropriate newsgroup for asking
> > questions about MkLinux.  Anyway, I'm running DR 2.1
> > update 6 on a Umax S900.  Next week I'm going to replace
> > my processor with a Powerlogix PowerForce card and I'm
> > wondering if my current MkLinux installation will work
> > with the PPC  750 processor.

> Actually, this is not the right group. You should be posting
> to comp.os.linux.powerpc, this group is more for discussion
> of MacOS issues. I doubt, however, if anyone minds terribly
> much. For MkLinux compatability informatoin you shoulc check
> the MkLinux web page <http://www.mklinux.apple.com> and see
> what they list as compatible hardware.

> Having said that, however, I just checked the MkLinux web
> page and the hardware page lists the G3 desktop and mini-
> tower as known working machines. Nothing is said, on either
> the know-to-work or the known-not-to-work lists, about any
> G3 upgrade cards, however.

To the best of my knowledge, you need preDR3/DR3 to get MkLinux to work
with the G3 hardware.  I inquired the MkLinux List about installing DR2.x
and was quickly encouraged to avoid it or suffer a lot of headache.  Incidently,
once I was able to get my hands on the DR3 RPMS, things went pretty
smoothly.  BTW, I second the advice above - go to the MkLinux web site and
peruse the Setup lists - this will help immensely when you go to install
it.

Good luck,

Scott

--
P.S. Please remove ".ns" suffix when replying via email

Some MkLinux questions

Post by Ian Betteridg » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>To the best of my knowledge, you need preDR3/DR3 to get MkLinux to work
>with the G3 hardware.  I inquired the MkLinux List about installing DR2.x
>and was quickly encouraged to avoid it or suffer a lot of headache.  Incidently,
>once I was able to get my hands on the DR3 RPMS, things went pretty
>smoothly.  BTW, I second the advice above - go to the MkLinux web site and
>peruse the Setup lists - this will help immensely when you go to install
>it.

I'd second the idea of going straight to pre-DR3. It's a lot easier to install,
and in my experience much more stable as well.

i.

1. MkLinux questions

Hi,

has anyone definitive information on the following?

- When will DR3 arrive (or, until when will it NOT arrive)? (It's not
that I can't wait, but I've delayed some upgrades because DR3 was to be
out "any day now" for several weeks.)

- Will DR3 finally support floppies? If not, when can I expect floppy
support to be implemented? (Floppy support has been under development
for at least a year now, acoording to reference material. MkLinux
development is beginning to resemble Copland...)

- Where can I look for up-to date information on current versions? (I've
given up on www.mlinux.apple.com because it's outdated by several
months. I don't expect flashy graphics, but I'd like to know at least
what the current release is.)

TIA,

- Wulf

! Max-Volmer-Institut     Technische Universitaet Berlin !
! Strasse des 17. Juni 135     10623 Berlin      Germany !
!________________________________________________________!

2. swap to file -> forced fsck next reboot?

3. newbie mklinux question

4. xgraph

5. More newbie MkLinux questions ...

6. CD files not executable

7. 2 MkLinux Questions: system error display and KDE exit

8. TCP/IP - Suns Congestion Window vs. Microsofts

9. MKLinux questions

10. mklinux question

11. MkLinux Question

12. Mklinux questions