Thinkpad Power Series 820

Post by Puck » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have recenly been givin a Thinkpad Power Series 820 PPC notebook.

Will Linux work on this machine.  I have found that support is coming but
cant find out if it has.

Please let me know..thanks

Thinkpad Power Series 820

Post by Daniel P. Hembre » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Can anyone help.  I have been given an IBM Think Pad PowerPC "Power Series
> 820".  Its running on some os AIX 4.3 and I don't know anything about it.  Is
> it possible to install either MS windows 95 or NT on this machine? Please
> help...

    AIX is IBM's version of Unix. It's a very complete and powerful operating
system. Any basic Unix manual will work fine with it.

Thinkpad Power Series 820

Post by Richard Payn » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

The 820 is based on the PowerPC chip, so Win95,98 is out of the question,
you could run NT 4.0...BUT MicroSloth has stopped supporting that chip for
NT so
there will be no new updates and I doubt if there is much software out there
for it
anyway. Your best bet it to either learn AIX (a pretty good OS in my
opinion), or
try Linux. Though I'm not sure they can run Linux.....Anybody else know??

--
Rich Payne
(Speaking for myself, not my employer)

>> Can anyone help.  I have been given an IBM Think Pad PowerPC "Power
Series
>> 820".  Its running on some os AIX 4.3 and I don't know anything about it.
Is
>> it possible to install either MS windows 95 or NT on this machine? Please
>> help...

>    AIX is IBM's version of Unix. It's a very complete and powerful
operating
>system. Any basic Unix manual will work fine with it.

1. linuxppc2000 on IBM thinkpad power series 820

Hello

I'm trying to install linux ppc 2000 on an IBM thinkpad 820 ( powerpc 603)
but when I insert the CD and choose to boot from the CD : nothing. I
download an image floppy disk to boot : always nothing . Does anyone could
help me please ?

Thanks in advance

Gilles

2. Security Vulnerability in OpenSSH on HP-UX (Rev. 1)

3. ThinkPad Power Series 820 and PCMCIA Ethernet Card

4. How to define a dump device for a diskless machine?

5. IBM ThinkPad Model: Power Series 820

6. Linux and Seagate 4.3 gig Ultra Dma hd

7. Power Series 820

8. Compiling Kernel Sources 1.1.52

9. ibm power series 820

10. IBM Power Series 820 and AIX

11. HP 820 series printer

12. ThinkPad 820 - hangs booting from install diskette