HFS to A/UX can't find name of SCSI drive for pdisk

HFS to A/UX can't find name of SCSI drive for pdisk

Post by Foglidag » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:24:57

Currently installing LinuxPPC from CD on a PowerLogix G3 accelerated
8500. Started by partitioning the built-in (and only) 2Gig SCSI hard
drive using Drive Setup with the intention of converting the HFS
partitions to A/UX with pdisk. I created three partitions. I named the
first one "root" 950+Meg, the second "swap" 50Meg, and the third MacHD
1Gig. When I boot the LinuxPPC installer and select XTerm I am prompted:

as per the installation guide I get back:
bash:pdisk/dev/sda: No such file or directory
Anybody know what's up?

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 00:22:29

> Currently installing LinuxPPC from CD on a PowerLogix G3 accelerated
> 8500. Started by partitioning the built-in (and only) 2Gig SCSI hard
> drive using Drive Setup with the intention of converting the HFS
> partitions to A/UX with pdisk. I created three partitions. I named the
> first one "root" 950+Meg, the second "swap" 50Meg, and the third MacHD
> 1Gig. When I boot the LinuxPPC installer and select XTerm I am prompted:

> as per the installation guide I get back:
> bash:pdisk/dev/sda: No such file or directory
> Anybody know what's up?

Yes, the installation guide says you should enter "pdisk /dev/sda", not
"pdisk/dev/sda". pdisk is the program, /dev/sda the parameter.

--
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User

1. Installing ?'s with HFS and HFS+ on same drive

Ok, I was able to download all of the 440 mb of files in the Redhat folder
and I burned a cd with them.

Now I see that there are a few other files that must be downloaded too,
such as the linux.live.gz and the LinuxPPC_1999_installer.bin, and the
macutilities.  I've downloaded them onto the computer that I will be
installing linux on.

Now, the guide is not clear on a couple of things.  I had formatted my
hard drive into 2 partitions last year with the intention of putting linux
on the second, which is hfs.  However, my main partition is in the hfs+
format.  I've got some linux files on the cd and some on my hard drive and
I'm not sure how to proceed.  I ran the installer and it says it can't
mount linuxppc.live, so I've got a problem with the hfs+ I'm guessing.

Should I copy all of the linux files onto the hfs partition and then run
the installer?  I'm confused about this because the installer puts stuff
into the Mac system folder, which is on the hfs+ partition.  Do I need to
install the mac os onto the hfs partition and use it as the startup disk?

--
gary jasdzewski

2. 64/32 bit os?

3. pdisk and HFS partitionning

4. Fast Cat 5e cable: stranded vs solid

5. Drive Format Utility and Linux(HFS+ > HFS?)

6. gnuplot print on the x-as all text-annots over each other

7. Replaced scsi hard drive can no longer find scsi tape drive

8. FS: SCO UNIX MEGA PACK $480.00

9. Named won't run - can't find named.conf

10. Shared drive for Linux/MacOS 9, is HFS/HFS+ an option, and safe one?

11. pdisk question: Is changing 'Apple_Free' to 'Apple_UNIX_SVR2' destructive ?

12. Getting an HFS volume's name?

13. HELP: Can't do anything on HP-UX (can't find system libraries)