YDL-BIOS not enabling ne2k clone ethernet card

YDL-BIOS not enabling ne2k clone ethernet card

Post by Penguin12 » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:24:44

I have done a lot of research on this ethernet question. my card is a
MacAlly card with a RealTek 8029 chip -- a NE2000 clone, as I discovered
from D. Becker's ethernet driver site. I have used modprobe to load the
ne2k-pci module, using the i/o and irq settings I found in the /proc/pci
file. In fact, I have done this many times, and each time the eth0
interface fails to initialize at boot. The last time I tried this, the
dmesg file had the following text at the very end:

*******
cat uses obsolete /proc/pci interface
ne2k-pci.c: v.1.02 for Linux 2.2, 10/19/2000, D. Becker/P. Gortmaker,
http://www.scyld.com/network/ne2k-pci.html

The PCI BIOS has not enabled this NE2K clone! Updating PCI command
0000->0001.
ne2k-pci.c: PCI NE2000 clone 'Realtek RTL-8029 at I/O 0x400, IRQ23.
eth0: Realtek RTL-8029 found at 0x400, IRQ23, 00:00:1C:10:67:C4.\

*******

Could someone help me interpret what this means? If the card needs to be
enabled, how do I do that?

(The last time I checked  lsmod, the ne2k-pci module was not loaded. I
suppose this is because the card was not enabled at startup.)

Is there something else I need to do or check?

Thank you.

P.S. my computer specs are:
Model name: UMAX SuperMac C500
Processor info: PowerPC 603ev
Machine speed: 240 MHz
Built-in memory: 112 MB
Ethernet: 2 10BaseT PCI Ethernet Adapters

--Adrian Membrez

1. ne-2k/8029 clone ethernet card not recognize by kernel

Hi !

I'm trying to use my ne2k clone on my power macintosh 4400/160 under
linuxppc R5.

I get the last version of the driver on the web site
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/ne2k-pci.html

First of all, I think there is a little error in this code : at line
350, the function has an extra parameter board_idx.

static struct device *ne2k_pci_probe1(struct device *dev, int ioaddr,
int irq,
           int chip_idx, int board_idx)

So I deleted it.After that, I rebuilded the kernel 2.2.6. I get some
warnings at the compilation of the driver.

But during the boot I get that :

The PCI BIOS has not enabled this NE2k clone ! Updating PCI command
0000->0001

PCI NE2000 clone 'RealTek RTL-8029' at I/O 0x400 IRQ 15
eth0 : Realtek RTL-8029 found at 0x400 IRQ 15, 00:A0:4B:07:DB:AD
Machine check in Kernel mode
Caused by (from msr) regs c02d9d20
unknown values in msr
NIP : C01CDA44 XER 20000000 LR C01CD860 Regs C02D9D20 Trap 0200
MSR 00009030 EE1PR0FP0 ME 1 IR/DR 11
Task c02d800 [1] 'swiper' mm->pgd
c019e000 Last syscall 120
last math 00000000

GPR00 : ...
GPR08 : ...
GPR16 : ...
GPR24 : ...

Call Backtrace ...
Instuction dump ...

Kernel Panic

Is my card not yet recognized by the driver ? I heard about
little-endian architecture for macintosh. Is this still a problem for
the driver ?

Thanks for your help !

2. IP Alias, IPFWADM and IPPORTFW Help Needed!!

3. LILO Install on a mixed IDE/SCSI setup -- Do I need the SCSI card bios enabled?

4. Important Comments re: Intrusion Detection

5. PCI BIOS has not enabled this device!

6. Problem with Netscape

7. NE2K Clones

8. Screen dimensions

9. encore ne2k clone stoped working.

10. kernel panic with my NE2K pci clone

11. NE2K clone setup - another problem

12. Looking for info on these PCI ne2k clones

13. PCI NE2K CLONE!!