PPC 7200 speed on Linux

Post by Mark Walke » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:47:46

I'm considering replacing MacOS 9 on my 7200 with Linux. It has 112 MB RAM,
Voodoo 3 2000 graphics card, two HDDs (500MB and 4.5GB), will soon have a
Belkin USB Busport PCI card (For digital camera).
Will I get a performance improvement over MacOS 9? OS 9 is incredibly slow
for any processor task. Switching between apps is painful and waiting for
web pages to load can take between two - three minutes.
I've loaded and used Linux Redhat 6.1 on a PII and a PIII and did not notice
a big difference in performance between the two. Although it was better than
WINNT 4.
This option seems cheaper than buying the Sonnet G3/G4 upgrade for a 7200
(questionable whether it actually works from the post I've seen).
Your thoughts are appreciated.

PPC 7200 speed on Linux

Post by Kevin Michael Vai » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:08:01

> I'm considering replacing MacOS 9 on my 7200 with Linux. It has 112
> MB RAM, Voodoo 3 2000 graphics card, two HDDs (500MB and 4.5GB), will
> soon have a Belkin USB Busport PCI card (For digital camera). Will I
> get a performance improvement over MacOS 9? OS 9 is incredibly slow
> for any processor task. Switching between apps is painful and waiting
> for web pages to load can take between two - three minutes. I've
> loaded and used Linux Redhat 6.1 on a PII and a PIII and did not
> notice a big difference in performance between the two. Although it
> was better than WINNT 4.
> This option seems cheaper than buying the Sonnet G3/G4 upgrade for a
> 7200 (questionable whether it actually works from the post I've
> seen). Your thoughts are appreciated.

I've got a 7200 with only 48meg RAM and I'm using it as a mail server
running LinuxPPC 2000.  It seems pretty perky, although I'm not running
any of the GUI stuff (in fact it doesn't even have a monitor attached
most of the time).  I'd say give it a try, Linux is inexpensive so that
you're not out much if you don't like the way it turns out.
--
Kevin Michael Vail | a billion stars go spinning through the night,

. . . . . . . . .  | But _in_ you is the presence that
 . . . . . . . . . | will be, when all the stars are dead.  (Rainer Maria Rilke)

PPC 7200 speed on Linux

Post by i.. » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 01:06:27

> I'm considering replacing MacOS 9 on my 7200 with Linux. It has 112 MB RAM,
> Voodoo 3 2000 graphics card, two HDDs (500MB and 4.5GB), will soon have a
> Belkin USB Busport PCI card (For digital camera).
> Will I get a performance improvement over MacOS 9? OS 9 is incredibly slow
> for any processor task. Switching between apps is painful and waiting for
> web pages to load can take between two - three minutes.

You don't mention your processor speed, but I have a 7200/90 with
48 MB RAM.  I found MacOS 9 so slow as to be unusable.  I installed
LinuxPPC 2000.  Netscape under Helix/Gnome is as fast as I need it to
be.

However, your mileage may vary; not all plates go up in value.

--

PPC 7200 speed on Linux

Post by Mark Walke » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 03:23:31

Sorry; its a 7200/75.  I do not really notice a speed difference between OS
7.5, 8, 8.5 or 9.  Its just 9 is more stable, but it still has that
trademark memory leak that I've come to expect from Macs.  Sometimes I fire
up my SE30 w/System 6.8 just to remind myself that once Apple made a stable
OS.

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.powerpc
> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:06:27 +0000 (UTC)
> Subject: Re: PPC 7200 speed on Linux

>> I'm considering replacing MacOS 9 on my 7200 with Linux. It has 112 MB RAM,
>> Voodoo 3 2000 graphics card, two HDDs (500MB and 4.5GB), will soon have a
>> Belkin USB Busport PCI card (For digital camera).
>> Will I get a performance improvement over MacOS 9? OS 9 is incredibly slow
>> for any processor task. Switching between apps is painful and waiting for
>> web pages to load can take between two - three minutes.

> You don't mention your processor speed, but I have a 7200/90 with
> 48 MB RAM.  I found MacOS 9 so slow as to be unusable.  I installed
> LinuxPPC 2000.  Netscape under Helix/Gnome is as fast as I need it to
> be.

> However, your mileage may vary; not all plates go up in value.

> --

1. Linux on PPC 7200

Hello Linuxers,
i like to install Linux on my PPC 7200. Several distributions are
available. Therefore I am interested
in recommendations with respect to following topics:

1) What kind of additional software (office, graphics, tools like perl,
tex, etc) is available?
2) Support for IOMEGA JAZ Drive 2GB

Thanks in advance

Erich

2. Reloading bookmarks error

3. SUSE Linux 6.4 on a PPC 7200/90

4. date difference

5. Just got an old Mac 7200, can I run a PPC linux on it?

6. Question about Linux signal handling

7. Setting up ppc-2000 on a 7200

8. lastlog shows users starting ??

9. MOL on PPC 7200 (601)

10. 7200 ppc install

11. Installing Debian on a 7200-series PPC

12. 7200-any linux success stories to share??

13. External, parallel port CD-RW (HP CD-Writer 7200) and Linux (RH7.3)