Can I replace ydl 2.1 with ydl 2.3

Post by milt coope » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:30:08

I currently have a dual boot setup with ydl 2.1 and mac OS 9.2 on an imac.
My question is, can I install ydl 2.3 in place of 2.1 by doing a custom
install without disturbing or otherwise messing with the mac OS 9 partition.
Would it be the same procedure as if I were doing a reinstall of the 2.1
distro?
Thanks  in advance for whatever advice is offered.
Milt

Can I replace ydl 2.1 with ydl 2.3

Post by Fred » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:50:25

Yes, you should be able to do that.  I'm about ready to do that, and plan
to leave my /home partition intact.  If you don't have a separate /home
partition, then you should back up anything you need there, and then
restore it after the upgrade, being careful with things like KDE (version
2.x before, 3.x now), etc.

Use pdisk to see your partition layout before you start, and jot it down.
 You'll need it to tell Mac-on-Linux where your OS 9 partition is, etc.

Fred

Post by Hugo Wol » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:17:31

> I currently have a dual boot setup with ydl 2.1 and mac OS 9.2 on an imac.
> My question is, can I install ydl 2.3 in place of 2.1 by doing a custom
> install without disturbing or otherwise messing with the mac OS 9
> partition.

Sure.  The YDL installers never mess with Mac OS system partitions.
You don't have to do a custom install.

The simplest and safest approach is to do just what it sounds like
you're planning to do: completely replace 2.1 with 2.3, ie reformat
the 2.1 partition(s) as part of the installation (note: this is only a
reformat of the linux partitions and has no effect on the macos
partitions).  If you have multiple linux partitions you only need to
reformat / and /usr.  Of course you'll want to back up any local linux
data beforehand.

It's possible to update the packages without reformatting but I really
wouldn't recommend it.  A fresh reinstall will definitely leave you
with a cleaner system.

2.3 seems to be very solid: as solid as 2.1 and _much_ better than the
unfortunate 2.2.

Quote:> Would it be the same procedure as if I were doing a reinstall of the 2.1
> distro?

The 2.3 installer looks pretty much identical to the 2.2 and 2.1 versions.

--
d f-d