1. problem with creating ramdisk: kernel loads, but hangs when it tries to mount ramdisk
I built a ramdisk root partition for redhat 5.2, but it seems to crash as
soon as the kernel jumps to the ramdisk.
The last message I see is:
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 fileseystem).
I built the ramdisk according to the instructions in docs/bootdisks
(followed it precisely)
Basically, I zeroed /dev/ram, made it an ext2 file system, and then mounted
it on /mnt.
I then created /mnt/dev, /mnt/etc, /mnt/bin, /mnt/sbin, /mnt/lib, /mnt/usr,
I populated dev with cp -dpR /dev /mnt
I then copied most of the /bin and /sbin binaries into their respective
locations. I issued an ldd /mnt/bin/init and copied all of the libraries
required by init. I stripped out the debug information with objmove from
the libraries and maintained symbolic links.
I then unmounted /mnt and copied the contents of /dev/ram to a file with a
dd if=/dev/ram of=rootfs bs=1k
It said there was a read/write error at this step. Not sure what caused the
Could someone post a generic redhat 5.2 (intel) ramdisk root partition (one
that can be mounted by the kernel and contains basic binaries)? I would
really like to try a ramdisk that I know is working.
2. kernel profiling activate
3. - ramdisk.image.gz (0/78) Re: potato on beige G3: where is ramdisk?
4. libc.so & libc.so.1
5. ramdisk for linux: mount /ramdisk
6. SUMMARY: trouble w/fcntl call setting non-block SunOS 413
7. init ramdisk vs. root ramdisk
8. Problems with XFree 4.1.0 and NVidia MX400
9. Q: RAMDISK, how to make use of a ramdisk specified in kernel Makefile
10. - 2.5.67 - sysfs (modifiable size) interface for ramdisk driver
11. Large (16 MB) ramdisk in Linux 2.0.0?
12. ramdisk size
13. Help!!! how to set size for ramdisk MODULE???