ramdisk driver initialized: 16 ramdisks of 4096K size

ramdisk driver initialized: 16 ramdisks of 4096K size

Post by Andr » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello.  This is a re-post of a previous message.

I've been trying to install MkLinux DR3 on my G3/300 PowerMac, but
everything keeps* at the following message

RAMDISK DRIVER INITIALIZED: 16 RAMDISKS OF 4096K SIZE

This has been frustrating me for more than a month.  Can someone please let me
know how to fix this problem so I can complete the install?  Many thanks.

1. problem with creating ramdisk: kernel loads, but hangs when it tries to mount ramdisk

Hi,

I built a ramdisk root partition for redhat 5.2, but it seems to crash as
soon as the kernel jumps to the ramdisk.
The last message I see is:
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 fileseystem).

I built the ramdisk according to the instructions in docs/bootdisks
(followed it precisely)

Basically, I zeroed /dev/ram, made it an ext2 file system, and then mounted
it on /mnt.
I then created /mnt/dev, /mnt/etc, /mnt/bin, /mnt/sbin, /mnt/lib, /mnt/usr,
and /mnt/var
I populated dev with cp -dpR /dev /mnt
I then copied most of the /bin and /sbin binaries into their respective
locations.  I issued an ldd /mnt/bin/init and copied all of the libraries
required by init.  I stripped out the debug information with objmove from
the libraries and maintained symbolic links.

I then unmounted /mnt and copied the contents of /dev/ram to a file with a
dd if=/dev/ram of=rootfs bs=1k
It said there was a read/write error at this step.  Not sure what caused the
error.

Could someone post a generic redhat 5.2 (intel) ramdisk root partition (one
that can be mounted by the kernel and contains basic binaries)?  I would
really like to try a ramdisk that I know is working.

Thanks,

Oscar Stiffelman

2. kernel profiling activate

3. - ramdisk.image.gz (0/78) Re: potato on beige G3: where is ramdisk?

4. libc.so & libc.so.1

5. ramdisk for linux: mount /ramdisk

6. SUMMARY: trouble w/fcntl call setting non-block SunOS 413

7. init ramdisk vs. root ramdisk

8. Problems with XFree 4.1.0 and NVidia MX400

9. Q: RAMDISK, how to make use of a ramdisk specified in kernel Makefile

10. - 2.5.67 - sysfs (modifiable size) interface for ramdisk driver

11. Large (16 MB) ramdisk in Linux 2.0.0?

12. ramdisk size

13. Help!!! how to set size for ramdisk MODULE???