GVC Teleport 56 w/ Performa 6400

Post by Alber » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Are there any known problems with the GVC Teleport 56 and a Performa
6400/200 ?

Albert

GVC Teleport 56 w/ Performa 6400

Post by Alber » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Thank you, your advice is excactly that what I am going to do. But I am
not sure which modem to buy, because I need one that supports x2 at the
moment and runs with BeOS too. Which modem did you buy for your Performa
? I read that the Teleport uses the CPU too, but it should work with
Linux

Albert

>Is your modem a geoport? If so, you are in the same boat as me. I have
an
>express modem/6400/200. The geoport lacks a DSP, which means that your
PPC
>chip must make the appropriate signals. To do that, you need special
>drivers, which don't exist on linux because Apple owns them. There has
>been talk of a port, but that will probably never materialize. My
advice:
>do what im gonna do, get a new modem.

>> Are there any known problems with the GVC Teleport 56 and a Performa
>> 6400/200 ?

>> Albert

GVC Teleport 56 w/ Performa 6400

Post by Alber » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>I dunno if teleport should work. I haven't bought a modem yet, but I
also
>want X2. MacWorld named two best modems: the 3Com Courier V.Everything
56k
>($250 list) and the Teleport 56k FaxModem ($169). The 3Com was the
better
>of the two, but of course much more expensive. Your teleport might work
>with Linux, but I am not sure how Teleports work. Can anyone in this
group
>comment on how they handle tone generation?

>> Thank you, your advice is excactly that what I am going to do. But I
am
>> not sure which modem to buy, because I need one that supports x2 at
the
>> moment and runs with BeOS too. Which modem did you buy for your
Performa
>> ? I read that the Teleport uses the CPU too, but it should work with
>> Linux

>> Albert

>> Im Beitrag

>> >Is your modem a geoport? If so, you are in the same boat as me. I
have
>> an
>> >express modem/6400/200. The geoport lacks a DSP, which means that
your
>> PPC
>> >chip must make the appropriate signals. To do that, you need special
>> >drivers, which don't exist on linux because Apple owns them. There
has
>> >been talk of a port, but that will probably never materialize. My
>> advice:
>> >do what im gonna do, get a new modem.

Performa

Did you ever call the 3com support ? I did, and my experience is very
very bad - like we are the kings and you have to be lucky that we sell
you a modem. Similar things ref. the support you can read in a lot of
news.

Albert

1. Mount point - Install LinuxPPC (Performa 6400)

Can anyone tell me how to define the "mount point". I read in the
RedHatManual:

"The next dialog presents a list of most of the disk partitions on your
system (including MS-DOS and other partitions Linux can read), giving
you the opportunity to assign other partitions to different parts of the
filesystem. The partitions you assign will be automatically mounted when
your Red Hat Linux system boots. Select the partition you wish to assign
and press [Enter] (or choose Edit); then enter the mount point for that
partition, e.g., /usr (see Figure 12)."

So, is the "mount point" the name of the partition, which I assigned
when formatting ?

Thank you
Albert

2. IP-Forwarding vs Socks5 or other firewalls

3. Network connections with LinuxPPC R4.1 on a Performa 6400

4. What's 1023 cylinders? Install

5. X and Mac Performa 6400/180

6. SIGALRM loop with Linux 2.4.0

7. Linux on Performa 6400/200

8. installing linux

9. Performa 6400/200 experience

10. slow linuc on performa 6400 -help

11. cdrom not mounting on Performa 6400

12. Ethernet on Powerbase/Performa 6400 HELP PLEASE

13. ML8.0 PPC on Mac Performa 6400