yaboot

Post by Darre » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I'm having a lot of difficulty updating yaboot.  Every time i've tried to
unzip the yaboot_0.x.gz file macgzip either says it's not in the gzip format
or i end up with a single file that the MacOS has no idea what to do with
it.
I've downloading it using netscape and internet explorer and using stuffit
expander to expand it
can anyone send me yaboot in a different format like .sit

Daz

yaboot

Post by Alan R Barke » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm having a lot of difficulty updating yaboot.  Every time i've
tried to
> unzip the yaboot_0.x.gz file macgzip either says it's not in the gzip
format
> or i end up with a single file that the MacOS has no idea what to do
with
> it.
> I've downloading it using netscape and internet explorer and using
stuffit
> expander to expand it
> can anyone send me yaboot in a different format like .sit

Have you tried gunzipping and untarring it under Linux? I've had
problems with the latest version of macgzip too. Older versions (0.2?)
are apparently OK.
--
Alan R Barker
Rev D iMac / MacOS 9 / MacOS X Beta / LinuxPPC 2000

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

yaboot

Post by Darre » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

yeah i've tried it under linux with no luck

Daz

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.powerpc
> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:18:32 GMT
> Subject: Re: yaboot

>> I'm having a lot of difficulty updating yaboot.  Every time i've
> tried to
>> unzip the yaboot_0.x.gz file macgzip either says it's not in the gzip
> format
>> or i end up with a single file that the MacOS has no idea what to do
> with
>> it.
>> I've downloading it using netscape and internet explorer and using
> stuffit
>> expander to expand it
>> can anyone send me yaboot in a different format like .sit

> Have you tried gunzipping and untarring it under Linux? I've had
> problems with the latest version of macgzip too. Older versions (0.2?)
> are apparently OK.
> --
> Alan R Barker
> Rev D iMac / MacOS 9 / MacOS X Beta / LinuxPPC 2000

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

yaboot

Post by Jon » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Is the problem not beeing able to de-compress it properly, or not
booting it? I downloaded yaboot with internet explorer and used stuffit
expander to un stuff it(make sure in the preferences that convert text
files to macintosh format is set to never), and then put it in the boot
partition, and boot it from openfirmware.

> I'm having a lot of difficulty updating yaboot.  Every time i've tried to
> unzip the yaboot_0.x.gz file macgzip either says it's not in the gzip
> format
> or i end up with a single file that the MacOS has no idea what to do with
> it.
> I've downloading it using netscape and internet explorer and using
> stuffit
> expander to expand it
> can anyone send me yaboot in a different format like .sit

> Daz

1. yaboot/yaboot.conf?

iMac, Rev D.  YDL; everything has installed, but it WON'T BOOT into
Linux to save my arce!
*I've changed yaboot.conf per recommendations to place \\\\ where \\ is
(erroneously) found.
*Yaboot, yaboot.conf, vmlinux and bootscript is in Systems Folder.
*I've rebooted into OF, typed "setenv boot-device hd:,\\bootscript"
<CR>
boot <CR>
...but I'm back in Mac OS no matter what I do (yes, I'm holding down the
spacebar for dual boot).  Nowhere in the yaboot.conf, however, is /root=
location specified (in my case, /dev/hda6).  Should it be?  If so,
where--exactly?

I've gone through the entire install process three times and taken
notes, but I can't see what I'm missing.

I really don't want to buy OS X.  Help!

-Jack

2. Using the Linux TCP/IP souce code to program microcontrollers

3. Suse 7.0 for PowerPC on B&W G3 400 yaboot problem

4. PPP for x86 (and where is FAQ?)

5. Powerbook Lombard and yaboot on SuSE 7.3: how to get my X working?

6. LILO & SCSI

7. Linux Yaboot(YDL)

8. Tyan tiger 2466 mpx dual processor problem

9. yaboot.conf file syntax...

10. Dual-boot script for Yaboot not working

11. yaboot on G3 Powerbook?

12. I messed up yaboot and OF-need boot help

13. Understanding yaboot.conf, kernel arguments, and the like