terrible video performance ?

Post by Mark Ellio » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I used R4 for a while, but R5 is much slower than I remember R4 to be. I
have a StarMax 4000/200 with XClaim3D card. I recompiled kernel 2.2.9 with
support for this card. "setup" for X recognises the card, but the screen
updates are like treacle. I made sure I was running in 8 bit (higher colour
depths are just as bad). No joy. It's taking seconds just to recover from
the screensaver.

I have "video=atyfb" in BootX (doesn't make any difference with or without).

I must have something incorrectly setup. Any suggestions.

Mark

Post by Steven G. Johns » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I have "video=atyfb" in BootX (doesn't make any difference with or without).

Have you unchecked "No Video Driver" in BootX?

Steven

Post by Mark Ellio » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > I have "video=atyfb" in BootX (doesn't make any difference with or without).

> Have you unchecked "No Video Driver" in BootX?

Yes. This was very slightly better, but not much.

Mark

terrible video performance ?

Post by Jason Haa » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Try booting into single user mode and running Xautoconfig.

1.Boot up the computer, and when it gets to the "Choose your OS" screen,
press the delete key. This will stop the boot process.

2.Delete anything that is in the "More kernel arguments" field. In that
field, type in "single". Then click Linux to start Linux.

3.Linux will boot in single user mode, which is a special maintenance
mode.

4.Instead of booting up and displaying a login prompt, it will come to a
prompt that will read something like "sh-2.0.32:".

At this prompt, type:

/usr/X11R6/bin/Xautoconfig [Return]

It will look like nothing happened, but the Xautoconfig program actually
ran. It should properly set up your X configuration.  It made Xpmac a
little fast on my MacTell box.  Should have another tip soon.

Post by Tom Hans » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Try booting into single user mode and running Xautoconfig.

>1.Boot up the computer, and when it gets to the "Choose your OS" screen,
>press the delete key. This will stop the boot process.

>2.Delete anything that is in the "More kernel arguments" field. In that
>field, type in "single". Then click Linux to start Linux.

>3.Linux will boot in single user mode, which is a special maintenance
>mode.

>4.Instead of booting up and displaying a login prompt, it will come to a
>prompt that will read something like "sh-2.0.32:".

>At this prompt, type:

>/usr/X11R6/bin/Xautoconfig [Return]

>It will look like nothing happened, but the Xautoconfig program actually
>ran. It should properly set up your X configuration.  It made Xpmac a
>little fast on my MacTell box.  Should have another tip soon.

I got a "segmentation fault" when I tried this. What does that mean?

--
Remove 'remove' to reply

Post by Mark Elliot » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> >At this prompt, type:

> >/usr/X11R6/bin/Xautoconfig [Return]

> >It will look like nothing happened, but the Xautoconfig program actually
> >ran. It should properly set up your X configuration.  It made Xpmac a
> >little fast on my MacTell box.  Should have another tip soon.

> I got a "segmentation fault" when I tried this. What does that mean?

I don't even have Xautoconfig.

I changed the X server to use Xpmac instead of XFree86_FBdev, but it
would only start in 640x480, 8 bit. Which X server should I be using
for best performance with Rage Pro ?

Mark

1. terrible slip performance

I am using slip between an hp9000/720 hpux9.01 system and a linux box
running pl99.13.  I got slip to start, but the performance is
terrible.  Pings take >1sec.  Eventually it just hangs.

Has anyone ever gotten good results using slip to an hp box (hp calls
this ppl)?

2. Top on Solaris 8

3. terrible Apache performance

4. unloading a kernel extension

5. Terrible 100Mbit Ethernet performance with 3Com Fast Etherlink XL

6. importing /etc/passwd into Netscape's user database ?

7. Terrible network performance !!!

8. Orinoco with Redhat 7.2

9. Terrible AIT3 performance.

10. NFS V3 terrible performance when system is client & server

11. IP Masquerading and terrible performance ...

12. Query: Terrible Samba performance Linux->Win98

13. Terrible TCP transmit performance