yaboot problems G4

Post by Norm Snyde » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I have a G4 400.Mac OS 9.04 on HDA , yellowdog loaded on HDB.  I've
set-up yaboot according to the directions.  Copied the files vmlinux,
yaboot.tbxi, and yaboot.conf to the system folder, or do the files go
some where else? My current settings for yaboot config.
image=hd:9.\vmlinux and root=/dev/hdb3.
Here are the errors that I'm getting.
mac-parts specified partition is not valid   or   can't open
hd:9,\yaboot.tbxi
Any help would be appreciated.
Norm

Post by visc.. » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I have a G4 400.Mac OS 9.04 on HDA , yellowdog loaded on HDB.  I've
> set-up yaboot according to the directions.

That's your first mistake. At least 2 months ago when I did it (they
might've updated it since), YDL's installation manual did NOT give
correct information on how to use yaboot. Incidentally, neither did
the famous "FAQ" everyone points people to. Each one has a single,
crucial syntax error, so neither is right (but if you combine the
correct elements of both, once you figure out which end is up, you get
the right configuration file). What they neglect to tell you is that
spaces and backslashes appear to be crucial (or at least, if I put a
foot wrong with either of them, my machine won't boot to linux).

Quote:> Copied the files vmlinux,
> yaboot.tbxi, and yaboot.conf to the system folder, or do the files go
> some where else?

Yes, it belongs in the "root" of your HDA. The "root" on MacOS is the
little hard-drive icon, up in the upper right hand corner of the
desktop. When you double-click it, it will give you a list of folders
and files. THAT list is where vmlinux, yaboot.tbxi, and yaboot.conf
must reside.

Quote:> My current settings for yaboot config.
> image=hd:9.\vmlinux

This is a syntax error. It should read:

 image=hd:9,\\vmlinux

Notice the comma rather than the period, and the two back-slashes
(\\).  It might work with one backslash, but I *know* it works with 2.

Make sure that you have copied the vmlinux file as 'vmlinux' and not
as 'vmlinux-2.2.15-0.1.2' or something. If you have, either re-name
vmlinux-<whatever> to be just 'vmlinux', or alter the syntax of you
config file to read '\\vmlinux-2.2.-whatever'. They must match.

Similarly, when you boot to open firmware and type the boot command,
make sure you use 'yaboot.tbxi' only if your file actually is
'yaboot.tbxi'. Mine is actually called 'yaboot_0.5.tbxi' and if yours
is called something like that on your Mac drive, then you must type
the whole entire name, not just 'yaboot.tbxi', at the O/F prompt. This
is another little tidbit they don't mention (presumably because it's
"self evident").

Finally, double-check that 9 is the correct partition. I have a G4/450
with MacOS 9.04 on HDA and YDL on HDB, and my partition is hd:5, not
hd:9.  You can check it using the YDL install program, just make sure
to abort it and DO NOT WRITE to either hard drive (just mount and read
HDA to see what partitions it thinks are there).  The really big
partition is what unix thinks is your Mac's "root" partition.

Steve
--

Department of Zoology, Box 351800 Kincaid Hall
University of Washington

yaboot problems G4

Post by Henry Wort » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>  image=hd:9,\\vmlinux

> Notice the comma rather than the period, and the two back-slashes
> (\\).  It might work with one backslash, but I *know* it works with 2.

The two backslashes are only needed if the file is in the
SystemFolder. If in the root of the directory you don't
need any at all. At lot of the games people play with the
SystemFolder and trying to bless it don`t work reliably,
look at the ybin docs for more info (there is a link
on Ben's webpage <http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh>).

1. AGP G4 yaboot trouble

hi again :-)

I have an AGP G4 and I'm having trouble getting yaboot to work (I realize
this is nothing new). I've tried various OF device aliases and none will
work except cd: (using the linuxPPC installer CD). Both hd: and ultra0: do
not work (I'm using the partition number w/the kernel on it - doubt there's
any mistake there); yaboot says the device could not be found. I've even
tried using the zip: alias and a zip disk with my kernel on it to no avail.
Any suggestions?

-Taylor

2. socket

3. Trouble setting up yaboot for PCI G4

4. Execution at boot time

5. SUCCESS - yaboot on G4/w SCSI only

6. Q: pthreads under linux

7. Installing LinuxPPC2000 on a G4/Sawtooth - editing yaboot.conf

8. cross-compiler problem

9. need help with yaboot & g4/500

10. YABOOT G4

11. Frustration with yaboot and LinuxPPC 2000 CD on Yikes G4!

12. Bad screen resolution on AGP G4 using yaboot

13. G4 yaboot.conf needed