MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

Post by Michael Hoy » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00



I am running LinuxPPC 2000 a beige G3/233.  When I run startmol (for Mac
OS 9.0.4), I hear the startup chime, and am switched momentarily to
console 8 where I see such messages as "*** Mac-on-Linux full screen video
console ***" and "opening console video 832x624, depth 15, 75.0 Hz
[offs:0, rb:1664]".  (832x624 75Hz is correct for my display, don't know
what the rest means.)  Then the screen goes blank.  When I switch back to
the console from which it was originally launched, it is scrolling
"Unimplemented load instruction".  Control-C twice and it terminates
cleanly.
 
 
 

MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

Post by Marc Dejardi » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00



> In article


> > I am running LinuxPPC 2000 a beige G3/233.  When I run startmol (for Mac
> > OS 9.0.4), I hear the startup chime, and am switched momentarily to
> > console 8 where I see such messages as "*** Mac-on-Linux full screen video
> > console ***" and "opening console video 832x624, depth 15, 75.0 Hz
> > [offs:0, rb:1664]".  (832x624 75Hz is correct for my display, don't know
> > what the rest means.)  Then the screen goes blank.  When I switch back to
> > the console from which it was originally launched, it is scrolling
> > "Unimplemented load instruction".  Control-C twice and it terminates
> > cleanly.

> probably an extension conflict or you have VM turned on. I had the same
> thing happen when I had the PowerLogix Cache Control enabled on the mac
> before booting into linux.

> you can turn off all extensions and then boot into linux and start mol
> or hold and release the shift key a few times right after you issue the
> startmol command and then figure out which extension is causing mol to
> barf.

> I'm using MacOS8.6 and the PowerLogix extension was the only one that
> showed this symptom. Of course my CDROM, tablet and joystick drivers
> don't work but that's not a biggie for me.

> --
> Bicycle Crash Test Dummy for Hire


I had also more or less the same problem wit my 8500 with a G3 card and
Powerlogix extension (MoL does not like to enable cache memory at boot time).
The trick I found is the following:
I have 2 preference files for PowerLogix, one with cache ON and one with cache
OFF. To boot linux, I use cache-on and to boot MoL I use cache-off

For instance I give the script I use to run MoL :
[~]# cat /usr/bin/mystartmol
#!/bin/tcsh
xhost + mymac
su - -c \
"setenv DISPLAY :0.0 ; \
 mount /mnt/macos1 ; \
 cp /mnt/macos1/Dossier\ Syst:8fme/Pr:8ef:8erences/G3\ CC\ App\ Prefs.off
/mnt/macos1/Dossier\ Syst:8fme/Pr:8ef:8erences/G3\ CC\ App\ Prefs ; \
 umount /mnt/macos1 ; \
 umount /mnt/macos2 ; \
 startmol ; \
 mount /mnt/macos1 ; \
 cp /mnt/macos1/Dossier\ Syst:8fme/Pr:8ef:8erences/G3\ CC\ App\ Prefs.on
/mnt/macos1/Dossier\ Syst:8fme/Pr:8ef:8erences/G3\ CC\ App\ Prefs ; \
 mount /mnt/macos2 "
exit 0

\mnt\macos1 is my main MocOS partition with the system folder
It is a french system... The path should be different for an US one.
xhost + is mandatory to start MoL in a X11 window.

Cheers,

                                 Marc Djardin
===============================================================================

 
 
 

MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

Post by Michael Hoy » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00



> In article


> > I am running LinuxPPC 2000 a beige G3/233.  When I run startmol (for Mac
> > OS 9.0.4), I hear the startup chime, and am switched momentarily to
> > console 8 where I see such messages as "*** Mac-on-Linux full screen video
> > console ***" and "opening console video 832x624, depth 15, 75.0 Hz
> > [offs:0, rb:1664]".  (832x624 75Hz is correct for my display, don't know
> > what the rest means.)  Then the screen goes blank.  When I switch back to
> > the console from which it was originally launched, it is scrolling
> > "Unimplemented load instruction".  Control-C twice and it terminates
> > cleanly.

> probably an extension conflict or you have VM turned on. I had the same
> thing happen when I had the PowerLogix Cache Control enabled on the mac
> before booting into linux.

> you can turn off all extensions and then boot into linux and start mol
> or hold and release the shift key a few times right after you issue the
> startmol command and then figure out which extension is causing mol to
> barf.

> I'm using MacOS8.6 and the PowerLogix extension was the only one that
> showed this symptom. Of course my CDROM, tablet and joystick drivers
> don't work but that's not a biggie for me.

> --
> Bicycle Crash Test Dummy for Hire


I booted into Mac OS normally, turned off everything in Extension Manager,
made sure VM was off too, switched back to linux.  Still having the exact
same problem.
 
 
 

MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

Post by Michael Hoy » Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:00:00



> In article


> > I booted into Mac OS normally, turned off everything in Extension Manager,
> > made sure VM was off too, switched back to linux.  Still having the exact
> > same problem.

> hmmm, that is weird. Which ROM image and MacOS system are you using?

> --
> Bicycle Crash Test Dummy for Hire


MacOS 9.0.4
strip_nwrom "/machd/System Folder/Mac OS ROM" usr/lib/mol/rom/rom.nw
 ^-- from same system
 
 
 

MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

Post by Romeyn Prescot » Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:00:00


ARGH!!!

I'm having a similar problem.  I fire up MOL in X.  I get a window and hear
the MacOS startup chime.  I see the friendly MacOS logo.  I then almost
IMMEDIATELY get a BOMB and the associated dialog:

"unimplemented trap
To temporarily turn of extensions blah blah blah..."

I have installed OS 9.0.4 (universal install) on the HFS partition.  I
stripped the OS ROM image contained thereon per instructions at
maconlinux.org.  I have turned off VM.  I don't know what else to do!

Help?

...ROMeyn



8:18 AM:

> In article


>> MacOS 9.0.4
>> strip_nwrom "/machd/System Folder/Mac OS ROM" usr/lib/mol/rom/rom.nw
>> ^-- from same system

> tried searching the MOL mailing list here
> http://lists.linuxppc.org/lists/mol-general, someone had posted the
> unimplemented load instruction question and got no reply.

> if you're not using the latest version of mol, 0.9.48, you can get it
> from here http://www.maconlinux.org/. Is there something weird in your
> /etc/molrc file?

 
 
 

MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

Post by John Rei » Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:00:00


What Kernel version are you using?




> > I have installed OS 9.0.4 (universal install) on the HFS partition.  I
> > stripped the OS ROM image contained thereon per instructions at
> > maconlinux.org.  I have turned off VM.  I don't know what else to do!

> not sure but this may have to do with the ROM image and MOL version
> that is being used.

> latest MOL and ROM images can be obtained here
> http://www.maconlinux.org/download.html

> --
> Bicycle Crash Test Dummy for Hire


 
 
 

MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

Post by Romeyn Prescot » Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:00:00




3:05 PM:



>> I have installed OS 9.0.4 (universal install) on the HFS partition.  I
>> stripped the OS ROM image contained thereon per instructions at
>> maconlinux.org.  I have turned off VM.  I don't know what else to do!

> not sure but this may have to do with the ROM image and MOL version
> that is being used.

> latest MOL and ROM images can be obtained here
> http://www.maconlinux.org/download.html

A good try, but no luck.  :-(  I think I will next try as the docs say and
re-install the OS on the HFS partition whilst booting MOL from an OS install
CD.

...ROMeyn

 
 
 

MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

Post by Romeyn Prescot » Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:00:00


LinuxPPC 2000
Kernel 2.2.15pre3 on a ppc



> What Kernel version are you using?





>>> I have installed OS 9.0.4 (universal install) on the HFS partition.  I
>>> stripped the OS ROM image contained thereon per instructions at
>>> maconlinux.org.  I have turned off VM.  I don't know what else to do!

>> not sure but this may have to do with the ROM image and MOL version
>> that is being used.

>> latest MOL and ROM images can be obtained here
>> http://www.maconlinux.org/download.html

>> --
>> Bicycle Crash Test Dummy for Hire


 
 
 

MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

Post by Romeyn Prescot » Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:00:00


I found a note in one of the MOL directories that said sound on the Mac
should be OFF and all mute buttons checked or the Mac WILL crash:

"2.      For now, make sure the sound volume is set to zero
        in MacOS (and check any mute boxes). Sound is not yet
        implemnted and MacOS will crash if the sound volume
        is not set to zero."

I'll try that next.

...ROMeyn





> 3:05 PM:



>>> I have installed OS 9.0.4 (universal install) on the HFS partition.  I
>>> stripped the OS ROM image contained thereon per instructions at
>>> maconlinux.org.  I have turned off VM.  I don't know what else to do!

>> not sure but this may have to do with the ROM image and MOL version
>> that is being used.

>> latest MOL and ROM images can be obtained here
>> http://www.maconlinux.org/download.html

> A good try, but no luck.  :-(  I think I will next try as the docs say and
> re-install the OS on the HFS partition whilst booting MOL from an OS install
> CD.

> ...ROMeyn

 
 
 

MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

Post by Tom Stille » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00




>ARGH!!!

>I'm having a similar problem.  I fire up MOL in X.  I get a window and hear
>the MacOS startup chime.  I see the friendly MacOS logo.  I then almost
>IMMEDIATELY get a BOMB and the associated dialog:

>"unimplemented trap
>To temporarily turn of extensions blah blah blah..."

>I have installed OS 9.0.4 (universal install) on the HFS partition.  I
>stripped the OS ROM image contained thereon per instructions at
>maconlinux.org.  I have turned off VM.  I don't know what else to do!

>Help?

Does /etc/molrc specify the correct ROM image?  Are the parameters in
/etc/molrc correct for your configuration?  Incidently, Mac-on-Linux
will boot from an HFS+ volume.

>...ROMeyn



>8:18 AM:

>> In article


>>> MacOS 9.0.4
>>> strip_nwrom "/machd/System Folder/Mac OS ROM" usr/lib/mol/rom/rom.nw
>>> ^-- from same system

>> tried searching the MOL mailing list here
>> http://lists.linuxppc.org/lists/mol-general, someone had posted the
>> unimplemented load instruction question and got no reply.

>> if you're not using the latest version of mol, 0.9.48, you can get it
>> from here http://www.maconlinux.org/. Is there something weird in your
>> /etc/molrc file?

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

 
 
 

MOL - Unimplemented load instruction

Post by Alex Schnar » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00


I don't think the unimplemented trap and unimplemented load instruction have
anything to do with one another.

I get an unimplemented load instruction when IPX is loaded (I had IPX installed
at one point - now I only need a part of it  for starcraft vs PC people).
Since I reboot to macOS to play games it doesn't really matter all that much to
disable this extension.  I don't know if IPX is implemented in MOL, but it
exists in both linux and the mac IPX extension and I have IPX on linux
disabled, which may result in the mac seeing IPX but the emulation layer not
knowing how to deal with IPX (thus the unimplemented load).

  The unimplemented trap seems to have something to do with OS 9.0.4.  I'm
running 8.6 since I think $100 for a trivial release is a waste of money (hey,
if my PC hadn't blown up and needed replacement I'd still be running windoze 95
:)


> ARGH!!!

> I'm having a similar problem.  I fire up MOL in X.  I get a window and hear
> the MacOS startup chime.  I see the friendly MacOS logo.  I then almost
> IMMEDIATELY get a BOMB and the associated dialog:

> "unimplemented trap
> To temporarily turn of extensions blah blah blah..."

> I have installed OS 9.0.4 (universal install) on the HFS partition.  I
> stripped the OS ROM image contained thereon per instructions at
> maconlinux.org.  I have turned off VM.  I don't know what else to do!

> Help?

> ...ROMeyn

> [snip]

 
 
 

1. MOL: can't load mol.o

Hello,
I tried using mol with patched kernel 2.2.12 on an umax Apus 2000
mol version is 0.9.24-1
I get the following error message:

I get the same error mesage when trying to load the module with insmod.
Thanks for answering

--
Yves LE FEUVRE
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie des rseaux
CNRS & Universit bordeaux I UMR 5816

--

2. pop mail and passwords

3. mol problems update (was: about to give up on MOL)

4. HELP: C++ Standard Components on Solaris ?

5. why are the float math functions unimplemented or defined ?

6. mounting disk problems

7. Ultra1: Unimplemented FCode???

8. ipfwadm problems: setsockopt protocol error

9. Unimplemented members of rusage structure in Solaris

10. unimplemented recvmsg

11. unimplemented trap?

12. "Can't open file" ( flat file ) and "flock()unimplemented ..."

13. The "unimplemented" Class value?