misc LinuxPPC questions.. Apache, NFS, netcfg

misc LinuxPPC questions.. Apache, NFS, netcfg

Post by Charles Eiche » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I've gotten over the initial install hurdles, installed some difficult packages,
and I'm getting used to falling asleep every night while reading O'Reilly
manuals. I'm not QUITE a newbie, but I could use a few pointers in getting some
services going. I just need some pointers or references to some docs, I enjoy
doing the research and figuring it out, but I'm pretty much at a loss of where
to go next. So let me ask a few specific, and a few vague questions.. These
aren't necessarily specific to PowerPC linux, so if you have any other
suggestions for newsgroups, let me know. But this newsgroup has been of great
assistance to me, and I'm trying my best to help out here too (within my limited
abilities). Anyway..

1. I'm having weird networking problems, due to some exceptionally odd issues.
Let me describe my config first. I'm running two systems, one is my server, an
8100/110 running MkLinux Pre-R1 G7. It runs 24/7. I also have my main computer,

Both systems connect to an ethernet hub, and the uplink of the hub goes to the
cable modem. Oddly, my IP numbers are not even on the same subnet! To ping one
system from the other takes 2 hops through the net. And therein lies the
problem. When I run ping between my two boxes, I get 100% duplicate packets!
This is obviously wasting a lot of bandwidth, and makes running remote consoles
terribly slow. I think the problem is that one set of packets is running through

know what to do about it. Any suggestions?

2. I'm slowly going through the Apache docs, which are terribly brief and
confusing. I just want to set up a passworded section on my site, where I can
post private data like my resume (I'm jobhunting). How do I do this? Do I need
to set up CGIs just to handle security? Can anyone recommend good Apache docs?
(no, not the O'Reilly book, it sucks, I bought it and then took it back for a
refund)

3. I have several gigabytes of extra disk storage on the 8100, so I'd like to
set up a local fileserver. Since I'm primarily studying Linux to improve my
programming networking skills. I figured I'd set up something techie like NFS.
But so far, I haven't found any docs for what I'd do on the MacOS side to
connect to NFS servers. Maybe it would be preferable to set up some alternate
service like netatalk or Novell IPX? And what about security? I'd gladly trade
speed for security, but I do want to have these volumes available as mountable
devices. I'd prefer not to encrypt files, but instead, have mountable vols
encrypted on the fly with SSH or something. FTP is not really practical here.

4. I have an HP Laserjet with an ethernet box (HP JetDirect+). About a year or
so ago, I was playing with MkLinux and got the printcap & etc working fine, and
assigned the IP of the JetDirect box to one of those nonexistent IPs in the
192.0.0.0 range. This worked great. But at that time, I was just using a 56k
modem and PPP, so internet services weren't carried on my ethernet. Now that I'm

normally drop all packets in these reserved blocks, in case someone broadcasts

their routers being configured correctly. And besides, I'm interested in
security, I don't want to broadcast my printer data to everyone on my local
loop. Any suggestions?

TIA..

Post by Tony Hammit » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> [...]

> speed for security, but I do want to have these volumes available as mountable
> devices. I'd prefer not to encrypt files, but instead, have mountable vols
> encrypted on the fly with SSH or something. FTP is not really practical here.

> 4. I have an HP Laserjet with an ethernet box (HP JetDirect+). About a year or
> so ago, I was playing with MkLinux and got the printcap & etc working fine, and
> assigned the IP of the JetDirect box to one of those nonexistent IPs in the
> 192.0.0.0 range. This worked great. But at that time, I was just using a 56k
> modem and PPP, so internet services weren't carried on my ethernet. Now that I'm

> normally drop all packets in these reserved blocks, in case someone broadcasts

> their routers being configured correctly. And besides, I'm interested in
> security, I don't want to broadcast my printer data to everyone on my local

1. & 4.:

I think I can help on a couple of points simultaneously.  You need to set up
IP aliasing to avoid the 2 hops/DUP!'s you've been getting.  It's simple.

As an example, (making up lots of stuff):

on the 8100:
# ifconfig eth0:1 192.1.1.1

on the G3:
# ifconfig eth0:1 192.1.1.2

/etc/hosts (both boxes):

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.1.1.1       eighty1.charles.net     eighty1
192.1.1.2       g3.charles.net          g3
192.1.1.3       printer.charles.net     printer

like this for my LAN/cable modem.  Works fine.  I'm pretty sure that IP
aliasing is in all of the standard kernels from LinuxPPC.

2. & 3.:  I'm not much help, CGI is pretty easy to code, examples abound
on the 'net and I don't know personally of any Mac OS NFS clients.

Hope this helps,

Tony Hammitt

misc LinuxPPC questions.. Apache, NFS, netcfg

Post by Charles Eiche » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

[I'll snip the background, go back and read the thread if necessary]

Quote:>I think I can help on a couple of points simultaneously.  You need to set up
>IP aliasing to avoid the 2 hops/DUP!'s you've been getting.

to get even with them for their bandwidth caps. But I suppose I'd rather work at
full ethernet speeds. But I definitely MUST get rid of the DUP!s...

>It's simple.

>As an example, (making up lots of stuff):

>on the 8100:
># ifconfig eth0:1 192.1.1.1

>on the G3:
># ifconfig eth0:1 192.1.1.2

>/etc/hosts (both boxes):

>127.0.0.1   localhost
>192.1.1.1   eighty1.charles.net     eighty1
>192.1.1.2   g3.charles.net          g3
>192.1.1.3   printer.charles.net     printer

>like this for my LAN/cable modem.  Works fine.  I'm pretty sure that IP
>aliasing is in all of the standard kernels from LinuxPPC.

That sounds good, but I don't have a registered domain, I just use numeric IPs.
Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that. I presume I can set this up with
just numeric IPs, without the names like "charles.net".. I'll RTFM. Mucho
thanks.

misc LinuxPPC questions.. Apache, NFS, netcfg

Post by Charles Eiche » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

says...

>> 2. [...] I just want to set up a passworded section on my site, where I can
>> post private data like my resume (I'm jobhunting).

>No CGI's needed :).

>Say you have a directory named "private" in your web root somewhere for
>this. From somewhere *OUTSIDE* of your web root (say in /home/httpd; this
>is for security's sake), issue:

>   htpasswd -c passwdfile username

[snip]

Wow, that's just what I was looking for. Thanks. Now if I can just find some
comprehensible apache docs..

misc LinuxPPC questions.. Apache, NFS, netcfg

Post by Tony Hammit » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> [I'll snip the background, go back and read the thread if necessary]

> >I think I can help on a couple of points simultaneously.  You need to set up
> >IP aliasing to avoid the 2 hops/DUP!'s you've been getting.

> to get even with them for their bandwidth caps. But I suppose I'd rather work at
> full ethernet speeds. But I definitely MUST get rid of the DUP!s...

> >It's simple.

> >As an example, (making up lots of stuff):

> >on the 8100:
> ># ifconfig eth0:1 192.1.1.1

> >on the G3:
> ># ifconfig eth0:1 192.1.1.2

> >/etc/hosts (both boxes):

> >127.0.0.1      localhost
> >192.1.1.1      eighty1.charles.net     eighty1
> >192.1.1.2      g3.charles.net          g3
> >192.1.1.3      printer.charles.net     printer

> >like this for my LAN/cable modem.  Works fine.  I'm pretty sure that IP
> >aliasing is in all of the standard kernels from LinuxPPC.

> That sounds good, but I don't have a registered domain, I just use numeric IPs.
> Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that. I presume I can set this up with
> just numeric IPs, without the names like "charles.net".. I'll RTFM. Mucho
> thanks.

Sorry to be confusing, I was just giving an example, thought I'd be cute...

Yes, you don't have to have a fully qualified domain name at all, you can just
use something like 'g3.nothing' if you want something in place of a real domain
(why bother?).

hosted on a 'real' internet site which links through an automatic
refresh to my home computer.  Kinda kludgy, but for $50/month, I'm
'on the net'...

        Tony

misc LinuxPPC questions.. Apache, NFS, netcfg

Post by Charles Eiche » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>> [I'll snip the background, go back and read the thread if necessary]

>> >I think I can help on a couple of points simultaneously.  You need to set up
>> >IP aliasing to avoid the 2 hops/DUP!'s you've been getting.

>>to get even with them for their bandwidth caps. But I suppose I'd rather work at
>> full ethernet speeds. But I definitely MUST get rid of the DUP!s...

>> >It's simple.

>> >As an example, (making up lots of stuff):

>> >on the 8100:
>> ># ifconfig eth0:1 192.1.1.1

>> >on the G3:
>> ># ifconfig eth0:1 192.1.1.2

>> >/etc/hosts (both boxes):

>> >127.0.0.1      localhost
>> >192.1.1.1      eighty1.charles.net     eighty1
>> >192.1.1.2      g3.charles.net          g3
>> >192.1.1.3      printer.charles.net     printer

>> >like this for my LAN/cable modem.  Works fine.  I'm pretty sure that IP
>> >aliasing is in all of the standard kernels from LinuxPPC.

>>That sounds good, but I don't have a registered domain, I just use numeric IPs.
>> Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that. I presume I can set this up with
>> just numeric IPs, without the names like "charles.net".. I'll RTFM. Mucho
>> thanks.

>Sorry to be confusing, I was just giving an example, thought I'd be cute...

no problem.. I've been known to be cute once in a while. For example, several
thousand years ago, when I was taking a class in Fortran IV, my teacher berated
me for not using desciptive variable names, I was using names like I and J. So I
rewrote all my programs to use names, so the code read like MARY=JANE+STEVE. He
hated it.  ;)

Anyway, I was really wondering if I could just omit these fields entirely. I'm
sure there are plenty of people who don't use anything but their numeric IP.

Quote:>Yes, you don't have to have a fully qualified domain name at all, you can just
>use something like 'g3.nothing' if you want something in place of a real domain
>(why bother?).

My system has a name somewhat like this (numbers altered, I'm not going public
yet)

c43245-a.iowact1.ia.home.com

This might actually be a fully qualified domain name, but I'm not quite sure
what the hell it is. In MacOS, my "additional search domain" field in TCP/IP
cdev is iowact1.ia.home.com.. so maybe it IS a real fully qualified domain name.

>If people want to telnet to your machine, just give them the current

Yeah, I'm doing that. Oddly, if I use c43245-a.iowact1.ia.home.com (or the real
address, not the bogosified one) it resolves to a numeric IP and loads the web
page, telnet, etc. I guess I'll plug that in there and see what happens.

Thanks again..

1. Novice questions: misc shell questions

Hellow,

serveral very basic questions:

  1.) is there a way to turn echo on for the entire script so that when
you execute it interactively, you can see each line and error come up on your
terminal, like vms's set verify ??

   2.) is there a way to force the script to execute every line and not
abort after the 1st line it encounters with an error? like vms' set noon?

   3.) what is the difference betwen ` and ' in use and meaning, subtelties?

   4.) what is the difference between alias, set, and setenv?
   5.) why sometimes, i see echo `tty` and othertimes echo $TERM ? why doesn't
       echo 'tty' work (normal ' direction)?

  6.) why sometimes, I see if.... fi, other times i see if... endif?
   7.) I saw this line: what that is mean:

     If [ -f /xxxx/xxxx/filename ]; then
             /xxxx/xxxx/filename
      fi
     If [ -x /xxxx/xxxx/filename]; then
             /xxxx/xxxx/filename

       fi

    8.) when I tried to execute the above, I found it would not:

         I had to replace the [ ] with  (), I had to remove the ";",
        and change the "fi" to "endif".

        what goes?

   9.) could you give me some of the finer points in using alias, set, and sset

      and setenv.

      a very confused beginner in unix,
     thanx,

2. Cooked vs. raw keyboard

3. NFS misc problems

4. Can TIA work w/ Linux? Is there a TIA-HOWTO?

5. nis, nfs, autofs: auto.master, auto.misc, auto.home help please

6. can't get Netscape, or any other internet apps to work

7. 2 questions about chat script in RH netcfg

8. which shell does cronjobs use

9. netcfg question...

10. newbie netcfg question

11. netcfg questions