usb printer problem

Post by Adriana Gonzale » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:20:22

Hi all,

I've been trying to get my epson usb printer working for a while, with no
luck at all.  The short description of my problem is that when I send
something, anything, to the printer the red light turns on, nothing comes
out and there is no error message.  That occurs either if I send output
directly to the printer:

ls > /dev/usb/lp0

or if I try to print from lpr:

lpr file

Now to my configuration.

I am running LinuxPPC Q4, and manually compiled a 2.4.7 kernel with USB
support, I mean statically compiled, not as a module.  I also have a visor
that I can sync just fine through my USB cradle.
I also have:
lpr-0.71-1
printtool-4.02-1
printfilters-2.02-1

printtool detects my printer at /dev/usb/lp0 and the driver is set to EPSON
EPL-5700.

I have the following device entry:

crw-rw-r--    1 root     lp       180,   0 Aug 21  2000 /dev/usb/lp0

I also can see the printer being detected in my /var/log/messages:

Jul 23 20:42:04 localhost kernel: Manufacturer: EPSON
Jul 23 20:42:04 localhost kernel: Product: USB Printer
Jul 23 20:42:04 localhost kernel: printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional
printer dev 13 if 0 alt 0

And also the entry in my /proc/bus/usb/devices file seems to be ok:

S: Manufacturer=EPSON
S:  Product=USB Printer
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  2mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=07(print) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usblp

And now what? Has anybody have the same problem?  Does anybody have any
idea on how to find out what's going on?

Thanks so much in advance,

--
Adriana

1. usb printer problem

I have a HP deskjet 815c usb printer.
But when printing a test page, I get the error message
"cannot open '/dev/usblp0' - 'Permission denied'"

I set up a device node entry, using the following command:
mknod /dev/usblp0 c 180 0

Then I used the printtool to install my printer.
After that my printcap file looks like this:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL ppa 600x600 letter {} {HP DeskJet 820} ppa820b1 {}
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/usblp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

2. Password Script/Software for Directory Access?

3. USB Printer Problems fixed (somewhat)

4. HELP: My modem don't work with DIP

5. USB Printer Problem

6. login many times

7. linux and usb printer problem

8. linux HANGS on netscape with SLIP connection

9. usb printer problem

10. USB printer problem for an absolute beginner

11. Connecting a USB BurnMax24x CDR/CDRW Drive With a USB Printer already installed

12. Two USB printers on a USB print server

13. Plethora of Peripheral Problems (USB printer, internal modem)