Problem with network(connecting to internet via local network)

Problem with network(connecting to internet via local network)

Post by AL » Tue, 14 May 2002 22:53:50

I have LinuxPPC on a old Power Curve.
The goal is to setup a linux server to IP masq the connection from Road
Runner.

But before I do this, I want to set it up to run through my currect
server until I get all the details on how to get IPX and Apple talk, or
netatalk running before I replace my current setup.
The Server is connected to the Road Runner modem, and masqerades the IP
to a second net work card, which is 10/100 8 port hub to all my systems.

The server is 192.168.0.1
DNS should be forwarded through the server to RR.
The server has DHCP setup this way, and both my other Mac, and my PC
correctly get IP addresses and can access the internet without problem.

Linux on the other hand, does not.  It indicates that it can not lookup
IP by DNS.  At this point, I'm not sure what to do.  I can get to a web
site by typing in the IP address directly... so I know I'm good for
everything else.  But the address resolution just won't work.

I configured the resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.0.1

What else do I need to do?

Problem with network(connecting to internet via local network)

Post by Dennis Henrikse » Wed, 15 May 2002 04:07:03

Do you have a 'forwarding DNS' server running on the 192.168.0.1 ? If
not you'll need to put an address for an external nameserver in the
resolv.conf, and let the masquarading take care of your DNS query just
like any other net-traffic.

Post by AL » Wed, 15 May 2002 11:54:39

> Do you have a 'forwarding DNS' server running on the 192.168.0.1 ? If
> not you'll need to put an address for an external nameserver in the
> resolv.conf, and let the masquarading take care of your DNS query just
> like any other net-traffic.

Ok. After entering the IP of Road Runners DNS, I now have no problems.
I still have to wonder why the "Forwarding DNS" server on my system
didn't work, when it does with all the other systems.  I don't get it.
But hey, it works now.

Thanks.