vmode settings for PowerCenter Pro 210

Post by Dave Huda » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a collection (8) PowerCenters that I am setting up with LinuxPPC.
Right now, in the BootX command line, I have added:

video=atyfb:vmode:17,cmode:24.

Does anyone have a "standard" recommendations for the video settings on the
PCPro?  It just seems a little sluggish to me (dragging windows around is
slow).

Thanks,
Dave
--

Chairman, Department of Computer Science
214 Meyer Annex

WWW:  http://www.onu.edu/user/fs/hudak/

1. LinuxPPC on PowerCenter Pro 210

I'm having problems installing LinuxPPC on my PowerCenter Pro 210.

As per instructions, I made a boot floppy containing installer.coff (and
I reformatted the floppy first). I set up my boot variables, using kbd
and screen as input-device and output-device respectively. I then
rebooted from the floppy. My monitor's green light comes on for a few
seconds, then goes off. There's some disk activity on the floppy for
about 30 seconds, then - nada! Black screen, no disk activity.

I looked in the FAQmatic, and there's an entry suggesting a couple of
variants for the output-device name (one of which is supposed to have
originated from a PowerCenter user). I try both of these, but still no
joy (in fact, with one of them I don't even get the activity on the
floppy).

I sit back and think for a bit. It occurs to me that I have a Techworks
3dfx card installed, and my monitor connects to it through a
pass-through cable connected to the card. Is it possible that this is
screwing up OF? So I disconnect the monitor from the 3dfx card and hook
it up as normal. I then retry all the above permutations - still zip!

I'm about ready to turn the LinuxPPC CD into performance art by dipping
it into a vat of Linus Torvald's urine! My PRAM has been zapped more
often than the Millenium Falcon. If anyone out there has successfully
installed on a PowerCenter Pro 210, can they post their boot variable
settings here? Could there be some other problem than the boot
variables?

Chris

2. Linux to Linux SLOW ??

3. Installing 4.1 on PowerCenter Pro 210

4. Loadlin

5. Linux/PPC on Powercenter Pro 210

6. write auto-ftp script..help please

7. Finally got R5 installed on PowerCenter Pro 210!

8. SANE'98 - 1st Int'l System Administration & Networking Conference

9. YDL2.3 on PowerComputing Powercenter Pro 210

10. refused connect from root@::ffff:210.217.157.15 (::ffff:210.217.157.15)

11. Pro Sonic 16 & NEC 2Xi (210)

12. Linux PPC on a Power Center Pro 210

13. Installing linuxppc on powercenter pro